• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

soloing huge mobs

They are linked in that when the **** hits the fan instead of sticking with the team to try and push back the horde, some players take off and just try to save themselves. Might as well die with the rest of the group and try again.

Bob, I see where you are coming from but I think the strategic and beneficial kiting gets abused too much. A decoy is fine, but I rarely see it used like this.

"Might as well die with the rest of the group and try again."
I love wiping on wave 7-10 to start over when I can easily kill the last 100 mobs, 10 mins of that > 30-40 of getting back there.

Also have you tried not playing on pubs? Myself and others on vent use kiting as a viable tactic when done with all 4 of us at the same time, where one can focus on any and all FP's and scrakes from the rear, another or two constantly clear a path ahead and lead around a level (biotech and manor are eznp) and we generally use alot of team work to stay out of trouble while dealing out alot of kills. So we use strategic and beneficial kiting while working dedicated as a team. Please fix this so we can play like L4D and **** in a room for 10 mins.

also this is always @ suicidal, if you're moaning about people finishing a wave on hard or under then why the **** did everyone else die?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i play this game like i play anyother FPS really, i dont trust my team mates
(in a ff server they kill each other right away)

in L4D
I'll stay far ahead of my team mates
if i dont have atleast 200 kills more then the other highest killer then i feel like i did not do it right
oh and i NEED the highest accurancy and most headshots and throw inn the most support just for flavour :p

in KF i will run away from other players, i dont trust them and i really cant either as they will either

Team kill everyone due to a bad grenade or a trigger happy bastard, or they will weld a door and lock us into a room
(i know i can open it but really he should not box us inn)

So at the start of every round i will use atleast the last 20 seconds to get as far away as i can from other players and weld a door or two
and i will take out everything i can get my hands on :p
play clever and always have a backup plan thats how i play, i dont putt any faith in other players
Other then my mates over TS as i know they can handle themselves and will not die to anything less then a army

Upvote 0
So, you're a prick, I take it?

No, just a tad paranoid. If he's good, he'll live, if he's not, he'll be a distraction...

On topic, if it gets down to everyone dead but 1 person who was camped somewhere, most of the time the folks with you on the server will consider it a total wipeout and will help you MapVote onto a new map. I see where you're coming from saying that you can clear 100+ enemies on your own. But MANY, MANY times, everyone else just wants to play, not watch you play tag with a fleshpound...

Upvote 0
IMO some kind of ranged attack specimen or a faster than player specimen is needed. At least for higher difficulties.
QFT for the ranged specimens.
While I enjoy clearing out waves in Farm (sometimes even alone), it's quite a shame that you actually get less advantages if you weld yourself in one of the houses, expecially in the last waves (you just have to go where there is no grass, watch your back and you're ok).

Upvote 0
Agreed more or less.

Even though one thing I've yet to witness is someone other than berserker surviving over 80+ specimen wave on it's own when it has scrakes, flesh pounds and such involved.

I can do this as level 3 support or 5 medic without too much trouble, zerker is just nicer due to no ammo requirement on melee+1shotting things to clear a path while remaining mobile.

Upvote 0
This tactic only works on Farm or other open maps (Manor, to a lesser extent).

I see nothing wrong with it, it's more like a map problem than a game mechanic problem.

Though if I were to change something, I'd change Screamers to be a little more... effective. Maybe they should Scream more often and they should not advance up to melee range - they should actually try to move BACK and away from you!

Upvote 0
Just yesterday I took down 189 specimens on West_London when the rest of my team was killed (wave 5 or 6, Hard difficulty). Once you know the maps you can simply run in a big circle and drag on the game forever. I beat that wave, but by the end nobody else was left in the server. Not fun for me, not fun for them. I would like to see a change.

In my opinion a stamina system could be implemented so you cannot circle the map endlessly without tiring. A time limit for rounds could also be introduced. Specimens could also be pathed better so they surround the player instead of all trailing behind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This tactic only works on Farm or other open maps (Manor, to a lesser extent).

I see nothing wrong with it, it's more like a map problem than a game mechanic problem.

Wrong, if you know the map and what you're doing you can do this on bio labs or offices also, albeit with slightly more difficulty but it is far from improbable. Hell, manor is probably on par with London at least when it comes to this tactics due to the cave and amount of quick welds

Upvote 0
Just yesterday I took down 189 specimens on West_London when the rest of my team was killed (wave 5 or 6, Hard difficulty). Once you know the maps you can simply run in a big circle and drag on the game forever. I beat that wave, but by the end nobody else was left in the server. Not fun for me, not fun for them. I would like to see a change.

I had the exact same experience.

I think a new enemy type would be the best way to fix this.

Upvote 0
I think that this should be fixed somehow, the fact that someone can outrun a huge mob and slowly kill all of the specimens just running laps around the map without getting surrounded breaks the game sometimes.

there should be an intelligent spawn system, or any special specimen faster than the player that can grab him much like the clot but faster, and with more health

I just don't like the running Rambos, I would like if life was a bit harder for them.

Sounds to me like you're tired of waiting after you die:)

Upvote 0

In my opinion a stamina system could be implemented so you cannot circle the map endlessly without tiring. A time limit for rounds could also be introduced. Specimens could also be pathed better so they surround the player instead of all trailing behind.

No.
Time limit for rounds? Hell no.

Upvote 0
Hmm I see what you're trying to say about this being a cheap tactic but in all honesty I think it's just part of the game.

Personally I find that it sometimes takes quite a bit of skill to solo huge mobs, especially when it seems at first like all hope is lost. Most games, like L4D, surviving past a moment like that would be hopeless, and the truth is, most of the time it's hopeless in KF too.

I think it's kind of cool that one player can be a badass and save the day for his teammates. It helps the game feel more dynamic and less predictable. L4D forces people to work together whereas KF heavily encourages it. I think it's times like this that demonstrate that.

Upvote 0

If it was no fun for you then why did you do it?

Really a change in mapping can fix most of this, so could mob pathing but not really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO some kind of ranged attack specimen or a faster than player specimen is needed. At least for higher difficulties.

Crawlers are faster than players due to their leaping. At close range, Gorefasts are faster than a player without a knife out. Skrakes at low health are faster than a player. Raged Fleshpounds faster than a player. And I'll be darned if a Siren isn't a ranged attacker...

Adding a ranged specimen would break a pretty good balance that the game has right now. It wouldn't make it much harder for skilled players to survive but would kill newbies so fast that they'd get frustrated and quit. The Siren is more than enough right now...seeing as it can "shoot" right through it's allies to hit you.

Besides, if everyone besides one player is dying in wave after wave, you're seriously doing something wrong (Or everyone got unlucky and has no money and the surviving player is hording cash...) and should probably take a close look at their tactics (Or if the surviving player is cash hording, find a different server!).

Upvote 0