• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design PlayerStart Errors?

tacoatpirate

May 20, 2009
It's been a good while since I've used UnrealEd -- but I do remember player starts being easy. I make a box (hollow), subtract it from the level, right click 'Add Player Start Here' and nothing happens. Also when I try to copy them from other levels I get build errors such as "PlayerStart is not useable". I am a little rusty, but this seems like a software issue. Ive tried cube sizes of up to 8000 x 8000 x 8000 and trying to add a player start in the center with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It's been a good while since I've used UnrealEd -- but I do remember player starts being easy. I make a box (hollow), subtract it from the level, right click 'Add Player Start Here' and nothing happens. Also when I try to copy them from other levels I get build errors such as "PlayerStart is not useable". I am a little rusty, but this seems like a software issue. Ive tried cube sizes of up to 8000 x 8000 x 8000 and trying to add a player start in the center with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

After a quick google, "PlayerStart is not useable" comes from when the PlayerStart is colliding with something, which in your case is because you're making a hollow cube.
UnrealED works by basically carving what you want into the game world, as the black expanse you see in the perspective window isn't nothingness, but a gigantic block of something (someone will probably cry at how poor that description is, but it's how I understand it :p), so when you create a box (without setting "hollow"), it carves that box into the game world, giving you a room. By selecting "hollow", you're only carving in the walls of the box, with the middle still being one solid block of uncarved game world.

Now that the poor description is out of the way, the tl;dr: set "hollow" to false and subtract the box. PlayerStart will now work, as it's no longer trying to spawn a player inside the black expanse :)

Upvote 0
Which view port are you right clicking in to create the playerstart? Try using the perspective view port to create it, otherwise your playerstart could be being made outside the cube.

The problem with copying playerstarts from other maps is that unless you are right clicking in the perspective viewport and click Paste Here, the PlayerStarts could be being pasted into the relative position on the other map.

If neither of these work, try a Build All, and if still no luck, see if you can create player starts in one of the official maps.

Upvote 0