• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dead nades and Team Killing

Dead nades and Team Killing

• Suggestion 1

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Suggestion 2

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • Leave it the way it is

Votes: 39 52.0%

• Total voters
If you don't get punished for "dead nades", then you'll find people deliberatly getting shot while holding nades just to annoy team mates. :p

These days it's rare that someone dosent "NP" after you say "Sorry, dead nade".

The nade spam in this game gets a bit ridiculous. You could have it that dead nade damage no one, but frankly it should stay the way it is.

I'd suggest rereading suggestion 2.

Additionally, I don't think people will wait around holding grenades hoping an enemy will kill them. It is far easier to just throw a grenade or shoot and team mate to kill then...

Also, "NP" doesn't mean much to the guy who got kicked before they can even see the message. ;)

TK's from dead nades is fine. It forces the player to think ahead, and plan where and when he'll throw that grenade. If he chooses a bad place to throw it, exposes himself stupidly to enemy fire, gets killed and drops his nade at the feet of teamates he not only deserves the TK's, possibly kick but it is what makes the game more realistic.

Interesting. You obviously did not read/understand suggestion 2 and my other posts in response to it... as pointed out by the underlined parts of your post.

While I am at it, I should point out again that suggestion 2 does allow for TKs.

Also, it is good to know nobody voted for suggestion 1.

Upvote 0
I think the current model is very good in RO.

Those of you who have been in the army, and in real battle knows that one doesnt fool around with a grenade...
When handling grenades today, one does not even have more than one grenade in a pocket and nothing else. No keys, screws, wallet, pictures, lighters or anything. That is because of the simple reason that grenades doesnt care if you are a friend or a foe when it blows and accidents easily will happen. If one jerks around with a live nade in the hand and dies, certainly it will kill your self and the one(s) closest to you. It should be minus points and one should be thrown out of the game if it happens to often without a NP.

Maybe an automatic shout "grenade!!" should be triggered when throwing a nade, since that is what a grenade thrower always would shout when throwing a grenade in real life.

/S

Upvote 0
Additionally, I don't think people will wait around holding grenades hoping an enemy will kill them. It is far easier to just throw a grenade or shoot and team mate to kill then...

Also, "NP" doesn't mean much to the guy who got kicked before they can even see the message. ;)

If you've killed so many team mates that your dead nade results in you being kicked, then maybe you should watch your fire a little more.

If you're not punished for TKing when you're killed with a grenade that then kills your team mate, then yes people will abuse this. It's a free way to TK people without being kicked. There are people who activly look for loop holes so that they can greif people.

I garuntee you'll see people standing up with live grenades amungst a group of their team mates who are taking cover, just waiting to get shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I think what should happen to any tk'er is they should also die immediately. Now as far as re-inforcements go their death would not count away from it but only the person they killed, no change there.

So for example if you pick off one of your teammates in the distance you should immediately die and if you throw a frag and kill a teammate same thing holds true.

Now with a dead nade you obviously would be dead already so what should happen is you should have to wait double the amount of time of regular spawn, so if spawn times are 10-15 seconds now you'd have to wait 20-30 seconds and if you kill a bunch of guys with say dead nade then it would keep doubling per as many as you accidentally killed, now if forgive is on the server then if everyone typed NP then you'd only have to wait the default double time and not quadruple etc. This would also hold true for just a tk period, double spawn time and instant death to self.

I think with these types of punishments it would make people less likely to tk on purpose of course, and maybe less accidents would also happen. The longer you sit on the side lines due to your stupidity the more you'd think about it next time.

With what I mentioned earller though about killing your own guy, example I'm in the zone and a teammate comes around the bend and I blow his face off, if I immediately die also then since I took him away from a cap then I should also be taken away from a cap. This would keep people from killing a teammate even on purpose to stay on top of leader board. Some folks run to zones then throw frags and kill one of their own, well with instant death to him also, he'd have to respawn and go all the way back again as his punishment and with such punishments would make them miss many caps as well, probably reducing it from happening again in the future.

Everything else the way it is other than a few additions would be great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dident read the whole dialogue here so forget this if it has already been stated, but option number two opens up an exploit, simply pull your grenade then have suicide copy pasted into console. big group of teamates you pull grenade and die, teamkilling the whole group and not getting a scratch on your record for it...

I do not understand the bolded part? :confused:

Upvote 0
Leave it the way it is.

Yeah it sucks when it happens to you, but removing TKs from dead nades would mean people would be more reckless with them, which wouldn't be cool.

As it is everyone knows it's a risk to throw a primed nade when you're exposed. Just like running around near teammates with a primed satchel is a risk.

Don't change it.

Upvote 0
Personally I think what should happen to any tk'er is they should also die immediately. Now as far as re-inforcements go their death would not count away from it but only the person they killed, no change there.

So for example if you pick off one of your teammates in the distance you should immediately die and if you throw a frag and kill a teammate same thing holds true.

Now with a dead nade you obviously would be dead already so what should happen is you should have to wait double the amount of time of regular spawn, so if spawn times are 10-15 seconds now you'd have to wait 20-30 seconds and if you kill a bunch of guys with say dead nade then it would keep doubling per as many as you accidentally killed, now if forgive is on the server then if everyone typed NP then you'd only have to wait the default double time and not quadruple etc. This would also hold true for just a tk period, double spawn time and instant death to self.

I think with these types of punishments it would make people less likely to tk on purpose of course, and maybe less accidents would also happen. The longer you sit on the side lines due to your stupidity the more you'd think about it next time.

With what I mentioned earller though about killing your own guy, example I'm in the zone and a teammate comes around the bend and I blow his face off, if I immediately die also then since I took him away from a cap then I should also be taken away from a cap. This would keep people from killing a teammate even on purpose to stay on top of leader board. Some folks run to zones then throw frags and kill one of their own, well with instant death to him also, he'd have to respawn and go all the way back again as his punishment and with such punishments would make them miss many caps as well, probably reducing it from happening again in the future.

Everything else the way it is other than a few additions would be great.
Hell no. Way too extreme. Would significantly **** up the gameplay.

Friendly fire happened, implementing this would dick around with the realism.

Upvote 0
Leave the way it is or even make it how it was used to in mod. In mod times, if you had a live grenade in your hands before you died it would go off %100 after you did die.

In Ostfront devs introduced some randomness(or maybe a bug) so it wouldn't go off everytime . . . this made the gameplay frustrating for me because I would warn everyone of a deadnade when I died in Mod, or I could tell there would be a deadnade situation when somebody died. Now, I can't because it's all random. There's no use in warning people.

For the TK'in part, I think it's your problem when you die inside a group of your friends. It's more of a tactical decision rather than a gameplay issue.

Upvote 0
Leave the way it is or even make it how it was used to in mod. In mod times, if you had a live grenade in your hands before you died it would go off %100 after you did die.

In Ostfront devs introduced some randomness(or maybe a bug) so it wouldn't go off everytime . . . this made the gameplay frustrating for me because I would warn everyone of a deadnade when I died in Mod, or I could tell there would be a deadnade situation when somebody died. Now, I can't because it's all random. There's no use in warning people.

For the TK'in part, I think it's your problem when you die inside a group of your friends. It's more of a tactical decision rather than a gameplay issue.
Nades I've tossed at enemy and then die, never seem to go off.:confused: Nades that I don't get to throw after priming, always seem to go off (and kill my teammates.):eek: Thats my luck...lol.

I say leave it like it is. No one wants the return of the "TK nade spammers". There are a couple of server-sided options already in place. The TK forgiveness system and the ability to reduce the ff damage from explosives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or we can delete that command completely.

With the new engine there may not be a need to have that command, because if they go over the game with a fine tooth comb there should be NO reason to get stuck on graphics or have any kind of graphics obstructions.

Now the problem would be with map makers making mistakes but the newer Unreal Engine may overcome many of the shortcomings the older engine had.

Upvote 0