• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will the port forwarding be fixed?

ScreamSin

May 15, 2009
Or are we doomed to manually port our computers ourselves for all eternity? It seems like one of the first things the developers would tweak to perfection would be the online play, this being a co-op game. It's an awesome game, but I would REALLY like to know if Tripwire plans on getting a patch going that makes it so we don't have to manually edit our computers.

Will there be a patch for it? Or no?

This game is so unstable. Got loads of problems.

The officals ask player to do port forwarding by themselves? Why? We are customers, isn't it?

The game server is slow, server filter doesn't seems to be working, always showing full server.

I am thinking how come they can sell a game without tesing it?

Upvote 0

The officals ask player to do port forwarding by themselves? Why? We are customers, isn't it?

The game server is slow, server filter doesn't seems to be working, always showing full server.

I am thinking how come they can sell a game without tesing it?

Well, they made it go from Mod to Retail in a very short period of time, that's why.

Port Forwarding is needed in most games, just alot of people don't notice.

Upvote 0

My point exactly. I don't have to manually fiddle with my firewall with other games, why should I with KF?

Port Forwarding is needed in most games, just alot of people don't notice.

Do those games automatically port forward then? Because I've had hundreds of games that play just peachy without me touching anything on my computer, and that let me host/join games between myself and friends. And if they do, why doesn't KF do the same thing?

What about those of us who can't port forward? Either we don't have access to the router, or, crazy thought, we want a game that doesn't require system manipulation to do what it was supposed to do in the first place.

It seems like I wasted my money on a game that says how wonderful co-op is, only to find out that in order to play co-op, I have to take all these extra steps modifying and tinkering. Had they told me that's what I would have to do before I bought the game, this scenario would be different. But since I bought this on Steam, not only do I now have a game that I can't even play with my friends, but I also can't get my bloody money back!

Upvote 0
My point exactly. I don't have to manually fiddle with my firewall with other games, why should I with KF?

Do those games automatically port forward then? Because I've had hundreds of games that play just peachy without me touching anything on my computer, and that let me host/join games between myself and friends. And if they do, why doesn't KF do the same thing?

What about those of us who can't port forward? Either we don't have access to the router, or, crazy thought, we want a game that doesn't require system manipulation to do what it was supposed to do in the first place.

It seems like I wasted my money on a game that says how wonderful co-op is, only to find out that in order to play co-op, I have to take all these extra steps modifying and tinkering. Had they told me that's what I would have to do before I bought the game, this scenario would be different. But since I bought this on Steam, not only do I now have a game that I can't even play with my friends, but I also can't get my bloody money back!

It's 5 minutes Extra to do that anyone who has used a computer for more than 3-6 months should know how to do if they have a Router!

No, no game can automatically forward ports on your Router, it's near impossible, as you'd have to give the game control over your Router, which could lead to some really ****ed up virus stuff.

Every game requires port forwarding for the best download / upload speeds, better ping, and connectivity in general. It's just that you don't notice these things and chalk it up as a game bug. It's true though, that most games don't require them to be opened to play at all, but usually it helps. It's just one of those things.

I hate Port Forwarding myself...but you're still being a jerk about it.

If you want to blame anyone here, blame yourself, or the people who make Viruses.

Upvote 0
It's 5 minutes Extra to do that anyone who has used a computer for more than 3-6 months should know how to do if they have a Router!

SO DAMN TRUE! Don't be lazy dude!....lots of things require port forwarding...I take it the game has extra problems because it was a damn mod that went full retail in such a short time!

Don't go blaming others if YOU don't know how to do something that a child who uses computers knows how to do.

Upvote 0

No, no game can automatically forward ports on your Router, it's near impossible, as you'd have to give the game control over your Router, which could lead to some really ****ed up virus stuff.

Every game requires port forwarding for the best download / upload speeds, better ping, and connectivity in general. It's just that you don't notice these things and chalk it up as a game bug. It's true though, that most games don't require them to be opened to play at all, but usually it helps. It's just one of those things.

I hate Port Forwarding myself...but you're still being a jerk about it.

If you want to blame anyone here, blame yourself, or the people who make Viruses.

I am 99.9% sure you are incorrect.
While it's not much of a hassle for me, the OP is correct. Port forwarding is NOT mandated, nor does enabling it even affect performance for a game like TF2. I can't say I'm an expert at networking, but I may know enough to give a brief explanation.

There are two types of network programs; client and server. Normally a server just starts up, and waits for clients to try to connect to it. But since the client is the one "searching" for the server, that server has to be open to the internet. Behind most routers, this isn't immediately possible because the router has its own IP address, then the server. So the router is told that "when a connection is established using suchandsuch port (ie, from a certain application, like killing floor), then let it go through to device X", X usually being the server. But once that connection is established, it shouldn't matter because there's this invisible cord between those two computers and they know to interface with one another. Since most people don't host servers, they will only ever be manually "connecting" to other computers. Basically the only time you would need to forward ports is if a computer is connecting TO you, and if you're doing that for a client application like KF...
[/img]http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/wrong-mike.jpg[/img]

So in short, my best guess is that Tripwire is just using some shortcut for some sort of network connection. I am 99% sure that with infinite funding and infinite time, they could rework network connectivity so it is unneeded. But I will remind everyone not to quote me on this or something as "CHIPWARE MAD MISTAK".

Upvote 0
Not everyone has access to their router, meaning not everyone has ported, meaning not everyone knows how. Oh, and it's not 5 minutes, I looked at the method they give you. Calling the service provider, setting up static IP addresses.

Why would I blame myself for the flaws in their game? Just because you guys have a lot of free time to play with your comps and tinker till the sun comes up, some of us are too busy to bother with things that only show up once in a blue moon. Don't be pathetic and complain to me that I don't know how to work computers or that I'm being lazy when your answers aren't even accurate.

Course, I was never talking to you guys. I was asking the developers. The rantings of people who get angry because a customer is dissatisfied with a product means little in the long run. I won't bother responding to any more whining comments about how I'm lazy or that I should just port forward. The question was simple. Why do other games work just peachy without the extra steps, yet KF requires me to screw with the settings on firewalls and routers. And don't say it's an easy step, because it actually isn't, not for a majority of casual gamers. Get off your cross boys, and try to realize that not everyone wants to screw with their system just to get a game to work. These forums are obviously not going to help me.

Upvote 0

Well here's my situation. I'm home for the summer, the router here doesn't have anything left default, and my dad won't hear anything about opening ports. I'm not going to do anything stupid like reset it or hack it behind his back, so port-forwarding is pretty much out of the question for me, right?

I've been playing steam games like css, tf2, and l4d here without having any problems hosting my own servers. I don't care if the performance is being limited by not port-forwarding, they're still perfectly functional and I have no complaints.

With KF, it seems like I'm fine joining games, so I guess I could just try to help a friend port-forward so they can host instead (we've all had routers for years, but stuff like port-forwarding had just been taken for granted; and I'm sure many others do as well) but that's more hassle than we've ever had to go through in the past. Frankly I've never had to do anything aside from clicking the occasional "Allow" on a pop-up from my firewall. Easy as it may be, it's unfamiliar to me, and despite giving it some effort still doesn't seem possible.

Upvote 0
WTF IS THIS

i get the game and after trying to get it work for an hour im bombarded with all these errors and glitches:

1. adding a filter doesnt do anything because even if i do "dont show passworded games" it still does
2. i cant connect to ANY server because i keep getting a package engine mismatch or some bs error
3. every server that shows up has 0 players
4. another error similar to engine mismatch that says something about "ROF"
5. pressing "BACK" button works like a browser back button lmfao it actually takes u back to all the things you did wow tripwire just wow
6. the server selection screen is HIDEOUS. fix it.

fail game is fail. if you're going to create a hype on steam make sure your product actually.. oh i dont know... WORKS?

i refuse to port forward and all that stuff because the professional games never require you to do such things. when i got l4d all i had to do was open it, and start playing in 10 seconds. literally with quick match.

last time i purchase a game from a nobody company. waste of 15 bucks, could have stuffed myself with some big macs

L4D > KF

Upvote 0
uTorrent forwards the Port on your firewall, you dolt. NOT YOUR ROUTER. You have to do that manually.

Odd, because when I look in my router's port forwarding page, I see uTorrent (UDP) and uTorrent (TCP) as policies, with the port being whichever one I've set. If I change the port it uses, then when I go back to my router page there's a new policy.

Xbox Live does the same thing, I can see a policy for it from when a friend came over a few weeks ago.

I didn't add in either of these.

Found this:
Newer router models often have the UPnP (Universal Plug 'n Play) or NAT-PMP built in. This allows for automatic forwarding of ports, making the rest of the instructions on this page unnecessary. Check your router's documentation for instructions on how to enable it, and then enable UPnP in

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is probably good old UPnP. I don't say it is a bad thing per se, but I will never allow an application to **** around with my router/firewall.

UPnP is only supported by some routers and the lack of any authentication is a major security issue. What is the point of a firewall when some random program can drill holes in it?

I understand your problems, but going this direction isn't a solution.

Upvote 0
Odd, because when I look in my router's port forwarding page, I see uTorrent (UDP) and uTorrent (TCP) as policies, with the port being whichever one I've set. If I change the port it uses, then when I go back to my router page there's a new policy.

Xbox Live does the same thing, I can see a policy for it from when a friend came over a few weeks ago.

I didn't add in either of these.

Found this:

Edit: Just did it again. Hit random port, test connection, it reports that it's good, and then my router shows new ports forwarded.

Well yeah, but I've never seen a Router in any store with that feature. I doubt more than a very small percentage of people have such a thing, or would even want it.

It does sound much easier, but it also allows for much less security.

Upvote 0
Well yeah, but I've never seen a Router in any store with that feature. I doubt more than a very small percentage of people have such a thing, or would even want it.

It does sound much easier, but it also allows for much less security.

Most cheap home routers come with this as standard. Pretty much any netgear home dsl router has this feature, anything you buy in pcworld and the like will support it, zyxels do, linksys do, belkin do - its a pretty basic feature these days.

Security isnt too much to worry about - you do know what installed on your machine and whats running right ? Its only your internal lan will upnp to your router - control your lan and your on fairly solid ground. You will also have a firewall on your local machine as well dont forget ;)

Upvote 0
Most cheap home routers come with this as standard. Pretty much any netgear home dsl router has this feature, anything you buy in pcworld and the like will support it, zyxels do, linksys do, belkin do - its a pretty basic feature these days.

Security isnt too much to worry about - you do know what installed on your machine and whats running right ? Its only your internal lan will upnp to your router - control your lan and your on fairly solid ground. You will also have a firewall on your local machine as well dont forget ;)

Hurm. Guess I never noticed it, just found it in my Router settings.

Odd part? I still need to Port Forward, or I get connection issues in uTorrent, as it says the port isn't open and the speed slows considerably. I don't think it works quite yet. :p

Upvote 0