• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dynamic IP

unconnected

May 10, 2009
Im currently on AT&T's Elite (best) internet plan out there. The plan I have only lets you have a Dynamic IP.
1. Dynamic IP means when I restart my modem my IP changes right?
2. My IP Changes every couple of days/weeks no matter what?
3. Should I have problems with my server?

I really hate this Dynamic IP. :|

Im currently on AT&T's Elite (best) internet plan out there. The plan I have only lets you have a Dynamic IP.
1. Dynamic IP means when I restart my modem my IP changes right?
2. My IP Changes every couple of days/weeks no matter what?
3. Should I have problems with my server?

I really hate this Dynamic IP. :|

So long as you change your port forwarding to the IP address of where you are running the server you should be ok. Mine is on 192.168.1.101, yesterday it was .100. I just changed the ip, powered down the router, then back up. However, it is easier to just rent a server. Gameservers.com runs about $12/month. I'll be renting at minimum two of them. Also, when you run dedicated from the house, the servername will not show up in the server lobby on your end, but will be visible to all others. Your server will show up under lan.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Dynamic IP

I guess my main concern would be what is your upload speed. I had AT&T and had 6mbps down but 768k was the max upload. unless you have uverse then I think its 1.5?

the only problem you will have is if anyone has you on their favorite list. then when your IP changes they will no longer see your server. If they look on the internet list theywill find it. the game server communicates with the master server via "heartbeat" and that will update the server info.

As far as your LAN side, you can go into yor network properties, tcp/ip and give your "server" a static ip. This way when you open and forward ports, the router will send the packets to the correct machine.

Upvote 0
I guess my main concern would be what is your upload speed. I had AT&T and had 6mbps down but 768k was the max upload. unless you have uverse then I think its 1.5?

the only problem you will have is if anyone has you on their favorite list. then when your IP changes they will no longer see your server. If they look on the internet list theywill find it. the game server communicates with the master server via "heartbeat" and that will update the server info.

As far as your LAN side, you can go into yor network properties, tcp/ip and give your "server" a static ip. This way when you open and forward ports, the router will send the packets to the correct machine.

What's your steam you seem smart. And Teamviewer? :D Okay. So Where do I put my ip into the files so that it knows to host my server with my ip?

Upvote 0