• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which is the most immersive RO title?

I am hoping to get some game playing time in with Red Orchestra. There are 3 Red Orchestra titles that I see. The original RO, Mare Nostrum, and Darkest Hour. Out of these 3 titles could I get some opinions from people who have tried 2 or 3 of these titles out, about which one is the best?

Could you perhaps point out some gameplay and other quality differences?

I do see that Darkest Hour has been developing a new patch, which does look promissing.

Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour are mods for Red Orchestra.

I do realize that Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour are mods, what I am wondering is whether 1 of these 3 titles stands out from the other 2.

For example; one game I've played is Silent Hunter II. This game has a mod called Grey Wolves which improves on the original in almost every respect.

I would like to invest some time into this game. In playing a little of the original title I realize that my 45 year old reflexes allow me to get beat up pretty bad. Taking into account the large learning curve I'd like to start playing with the title that would be the easiest to get immersed in.

I really don't want to start an opinion war, because I'm sure some people do favor 1 of the 3 titles. I am wondering whether there are specific details which make a big difference.

Upvote 0
I'd say start with the original RO.

- Mare Nostrum is a pretty dead mod nowadays, hardly any servers (alas) :(
- Darkest hour is still in beta, it's probably best to wait for the steam release so there will be more servers (and less bugs).

It appears that there is no clear cut mod which eclipses the original. Perhaps in the days to come that may change but at this point it is good to know that the original title is still going strong.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Yes start with ro its the most polished has the most people playing etc but out of the mods i'd say Darkest hour, at least its trying to expand on the realism of ro and has some really open original looking/playing maps the likes of foy offer a bit more tactical flexibiltiy than stock ro thus i find DH even in beta state more enjoyable. The steam release is supposed to be even better and has a host of new features.
MN and Carpathian Crosses is pretty much ro different skins maps really they dont play any different to ro except the fact they're of a slightly lower quality in comparasion to ro.

BTW: Darkest hour has a small but very active dedicated community the 29th is probadly the core of the community and are playing most nights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i would advise you to get started with darkest hour, RO can be too massive and overwhelming for beginners. whilst in DH you currently have a reduced but dedicated community, especially the 29th server is full each evening with quality gameplay, and you can make friends fast because you will see the same faces oftenly. i believe that the first year i intensely played RO i pubbed around without ever seeing the same person twice

Upvote 0
i would advise you to get started with darkest hour, RO can be too massive and overwhelming for beginners. whilst in DH you currently have a reduced but dedicated community, especially the 29th server is full each evening with quality gameplay, and you can make friends fast because you will see the same faces oftenly. i believe that the first year i intensely played RO i pubbed around without ever seeing the same person twice

The last thing you said is not a good thing.

Upvote 0
I am hoping to get some game playing time in with Red Orchestra. There are 3 Red Orchestra titles that I see. The original RO, Mare Nostrum, and Darkest Hour. Out of these 3 titles could I get some opinions from people who have tried 2 or 3 of these titles out, about which one is the best?

Could you perhaps point out some gameplay and other quality differences?

I do see that Darkest Hour has been developing a new patch, which does look promissing.

They are all fun and all worth a look. PLay um' all and decide for yourself and then post your findings\opinion.

Upvote 0
MN and DH or both nice mods... they cover a completely different theater of war...as has been stated MN lacks players and you have to hit it on an announced "fight night". DH is very well done regardless of beta status and the play is exemplary...Someone mentioned the 29ths server for DH.. the game play there fosters teamwork and the maturity level is high....You cant go wrong with either but i highly recommend DH.

Upvote 0