• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

suggestion: re-do patriarch voice

Jaek

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Every time he appears and says something I can't help but slap my forehead. He should not be so lame. On a scale of 1 to 10 for awesomeness he rates a 3.5 because his character design isn't very good, let me sum up how his character design process went:

Jerry: Hey, the fp is really awesome! But want to know whats even more awesome Carl?
Carl: What?
Jerry: If we make the fp not awesome then make a really LESS AWESOME guy to replace him!!!!
Carl: zomg!!111eleventyone That's soooo brilliant!!
Jerry: Ya!! Ok, let me think... You know the Ganon boss from Zelda ya? If we take the invisible girl, but make her a guy, but keep her effeminate and stick a Venus Fly Trap on her chest and give her the nintendo megaman-X boss guns for a hand then it'll be like playing against Ganon cause half the time she's not there to play against!
Carl: Wow, that is so brilliant!!, and also everytime you see her, she can say something in an average office guy voice that doesn't fit in with teh atmosphere of the game!
Jerry: Perfect. We have no voice acting budget and no one here can voice act so lets get someone here to do the voice!
Carl: Yaaaaay!!

If the voice is redone then it can save us and make him cool. The mod team did an awesome 10/10 job with the non Retail version voices, maybe the TW guys can ask them them how they got theirs done and follow suit because really, the patriarch would do better justice if he didn't open his mouth than say the stuff he's saying now with that voice.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure the Dev's spite for you being such an *** is gonna ensure that this little endeavor never happens. They worked way too hard on their game for some little whining kid to complain about voice acting on a zombie. Cry more. (and the Patriarch is a guy, hence the name Patriarch)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm. I'm pretty sure the Dev's spite for you being such an *** is gonna ensure that this little endeavor never happens. They worked way too hard on their game for some little whining kid to complain about voice acting on a zombie. Cry more. (and the Patriarch is a guy, hence the name Patriarch)

Hes not whining at all, His post had proper grammar and was quiet civilized, I could not have said it any better than this.

So I agree, the Patriarch sounds and looks kinda lame. I'm sure someone can redo the voice in SDK though.

Upvote 0

Perhaps an attempt to boost one's flagging self esteem by attacking someone else? :rolleyes:

Outside of that, I do think the Patriarch's voice could just some sort of electronic distortion, he sounds like a angry but relatively normal man, which isn't terribly imposing.

Upvote 0
the voice is perfect for the humor KF displays. I think the character design is a little odd looking and could use some touching up. Maybe less plant looking and a bit more writhing tenticles (almost spelt testicles). He's looks like a scientist who was like "Oh snap! Plug is pulled, better perform the last expiriment on me!" which is epic.

Upvote 0
His voice is perfect for KF's humor.

I have a couple gripes about his appearance though. I think instead of "theres a plant in my chest" they should go with "i have a whole bunch of tenticles (almost spelled testicles) for half my chest". Also his bug eye could be a little better done.

Besides that, the look of "imma scientist who did this to himself" is epic.

Upvote 0
Yes, a) he is campy b-horror style like the rest of the game and what's more important b) he used to be a brilliant scientist. So the guy was a nerd for all his life, grew up with DnD and no girls. Now he's going to show the world with his rocket launcher arm and all. Even if you disregard to b-horror style as the explanation for his lamness and search for a stoy-internal reason it makes sense to have him crack lame oneliners.

That's not to say his voice couldn't be improved. When you lock him out somewhere and he tries to knock down the door with rockets he sais "One in the pipe" again and again. If he had some more lines for occasions like that, or if he wouldn't say it before every rocket it would make it seem a lot more natural.

Upvote 0
I don't really have a problem with the patriarch except that he doesn't feel like the big evil boss enemy he should be. TWI should make him bigger and look more mutated imo. How about splitting the endfight into two phases? First the patriarch shows up in his current form and then he grows into a bigger monster...

Now for somebody whose voice really annoys the crap out of me: The Trader!
Holy sh*t! I hate her stupid comments! Seriously, she sounds like she's desperately trying to get laid. 'I like the biiig ones' Riiiight...

Please, TWI, add an option to make her STFU! Her comments do not add anything to the gameplay anyway (They do rip me out of the game's atmosphere though...). I mean players know when the shop is open or closed and there's the HUD to inform them about how much time/money/space for weapons they have...

Apart from all that I'm pretty content with the game, so good job, TWI!

Last edited:
Upvote 0