• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More guns later on?

Zeptorem

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
I'm loving the game so far, but I can't shake the feeling that a greater variety of weapons would be beneficial.

Like, for instance, having a few options for assault rifles with slightly differing stats, so you can choose out of personal preference. TWI has come up with the best gun models/animations I've ever seen in a game, and it would be great to see more of them.

In this gamer's humble opinion, not enough stock is placed in player's personal choice with how he wants to play the game. KF does an excellent job with the perk system, but it could become so much more. So, I've come up with a list of varied weapons to not only make each class more specialized but allow players more control over how they play.

This is kinda what I have in mind:

Commando weapons:
- L22 (Bullpup): Default stats.
- Walther MPL: Weighs less, costs less, reloads quicker, less recoil, less powah. Player can carry more magazines for it.
- Bren Mk.2: Weighs a lot, costs a lot, reloads the slowest, most powerful, high recoil (recoil reduction when crouching).

Sharpshooter weapons:
- Winchester model 94 (lever-action rifle): default stats.
- Crossbow: more powerful, slower, longer range.
[strikethrough]- AR-10 of some kind: Much faster firing, but lower power and very expensive.
- Barrett M99: Most expensive, weighs 14 blocks, extremely powerful, slow rate of fire, can go through multiple enemies.[/strikethrough] Overlaps with the xbow.

Support Weapons:
- Pump-action shotgun: default stats
- Hammerless coach gun (Hunting shotgun): Very powerful, slow rate of fire, short range.
- Serbu SS: very low capacity, more or less similar to regular shotgun, weighs less.
- Saiga 12: Quick reload, high rate of fire, expensive, high weight, lots of recoil, lower power.

Flamethrowers:
- Flamethrower: does what it does.
- Crocodile: ignites enemies only, can set fire to areas for period of time, half the range, uses up ammo slightly quicker, weighs a bit less, costs the same.
- Roofing torch: very short range, uses ammo quicker, lots of damage, weighs less, costs the same.

Pistols:
- Beretta 92FS (9mm tactical): default stats
- Desert Eagle (handcannon): High power, low rate of fire, high recoil, low capacity, high weight.
- S&W 1006: More or less a midway between the handcannon and the 9mm.
- VP70: low power, high rate of fire (not very controllable), expensive and heavy (compared to the Beretta), can't be dual-wielded.

Rocket lawnchairs
- Current LAW disposed of, and replaced with the following
- M72 LAW: costs $200 apiece, single-shot, disposable, weighs 1 kg. Very effective against fleshpounds, scrakes and patriarchs, little spash damage. You should be able to buy a few of these and stack them.
- M202A1 FLASH: Four-shot, long reload, weighs as much as a flamethrower, costs 1200, affected by Firebug perk, sets enemies in splash area alight, very effective against groups, less so against big enemies.

Other things:
- Flare gun: all players have them by default, it recharges like the syringe gun (one shot requires 100 units), and can be used to send up a flare to signal for help, alert your teammates to where you are, or for illumination. Imagine walking around in the dark in KF-Farm, then firing up a flare and seeing, bathed in red light, dozens of specimens surrounding you.

You get the idea (those are just suggestions).

Last edited:
Was thinking the same thing, Variety is the spice of life.

Not sure what to do about the flamethrower though, have a model with two barrels maybe?

Maybe have something as weighty and pricey as the LAW, with a longer reach and a fuel that sticks to surfaces or something.

In time. I'm sure there will be plenty of additions either official or made by the community. Personally I'm anxious to see the RO weapons in KF.

The only problem with 3rd-party addons is that any mod including them will be cut off from the unmodded KF community, which will always have a far greater abundance of servers and players.

Unless they can work in something where servers can add their own weapons to buy in-game, or where you can simply replace the skins/models for existing weapons without using a whole new mod (like the custom skins system Counter-Strike has).

Considering KF doesn't seem terribly competitive, I can't see "cheat" weapon skins being a problem.

Upvote 0
The only problem with 3rd-party addons is that any mod including them will be cut off from the unmodded KF community, which will always have a far greater abundance of servers and players.

Server admins can choose to add or change weapons, no problem. Same thing goes for RO; there are servers which run the EvilHobo mods (extra uniforms, mostly). All you have to do is wait for the download to finish when you join such a server, or download it from the forum and install the mod manually. I assume KF works similarly. And the best mods (total conversion mostly, I think) get the chance of being put on Steam like some of the RO mods.

Upvote 0
I think the gun we need the most is the MG42. It isnt too bad considering how the mger can be killed from behind cuz he he needs to undeploy his unit.

I'd much rather have the old MG34. Firing that in assault mode (from the hip) would be so damn satisfying in KF.

Of course though, everyone knows exactly what needs to be ported over from RO:

The Clown Car.

Upvote 0
I think tripwire should hold a competition for modders to come up with some good weapons, the benefits of this are:

1. Less work for devs
2. Good community involvement, people enjoy doing this
3. Many heads means there should be some good quality results.

They could pick the top 3 weapons and add them to the game.

Upvote 0
I think tripwire should hold a competition for modders to come up with some good weapons, the benefits of this are:

1. Less work for devs
2. Good community involvement, people enjoy doing this
3. Many heads means there should be some good quality results.

They could pick the top 3 weapons and add them to the game.

That's a bit like an idea I had awhile ago for cheaply developing a game with a ton of guns.

Have a big website with a list of needed weapon models/anims, then say that if you make a model that meets the standards set and is within certain parameters (animation duration, # of polygons), you get a mention in the credits.

People would be all over that. There are folks on FPSBanana that do far more work for far less recognition, and the modeling/animating talent out there is huge.

Then again, TWI has their own unique brand of genuine models and animations, and playermade ones might detract from that. You'd have to have very stringent standards.

All in all, I just want to see the Bren mk. II in this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One of the unlockable weapons, most likely for the commando should be the AK-47 or M4. The MP5A4 seems like a downgrade compared to the bullpup and seems more suitable for the default weapon. The AK is one of my favorite weapons and naturally comes standard in most FPS games. I and most likely many others would like to see this weapon in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One of the unlockable weapons, most likely for the commando should be the AK-47 or M4. The MP5A4 seems like a downgrade compared to the bullpup and seems more suitable for the default weapon. The AK is one of my favorite weapons and naturally comes standard in most FPS games. I and most likely many others would like to see this weapon in the game.

Eh, the AK's overrated. Besides, it's not like it's something that would end up in the hands of police or military, let alone even in Britain.

And of course the MP4 is a downgrade; that's why I suggested it weigh and cost less.

Upvote 0
I personally, believe that the game should only contain firearms currently used by the British armed forces and police, and reflecting upon British gun laws, you pretty much already got the only civvie weapon available in the game already, the hunting shotgun. Exceptions could be made for popular, but illegal firearms, such as the Sten, and Webley revolver, which may still exist in small quantities around in Britain.

Also, when adding new guns, you may need to assign them to the classes, to keep everything organized and under control, this is not a gun simulator after all.

So here is my list;

*L128A1 Combat Shotgun, the British designation for the Benelli M4. This gun would go under support, and be the weakest shotgun, but the fastest one, not entirely realistic, but it must be done for the sake of balance.

*L117A2 (Sig Sauer P226) universal gun, Say it's chambered in .357 SIG to cover the gap between 9x19mm 92FS and 12.7mm DE.

*MP5, universal as well, alternative to L85 for whoever wants a faster, but weaker gun. Should be light to make things fair.

*L86A2, light support weapon which should be used by commando, far heavier, but more damage and accuracy

And that's absolutely all that needs to be added.

Other guns that could work, would be the L1A1 (FN FAL), Webley revolver, STEN, Lee Enfield, Ruger AC556, Browning HP, M1911, Crowbar

Upvote 0
personally, i dont want to see a bunch more ordinary weapons..id rather see more interesting weapons

maybe trip mines for instance
or how about a weapon that lets you use the enemies as your weapon by directing them to attack each other..

tbh im not a creative type, but i think that it would be a mistake to add like 5 new rifles that do roughly the same thing

it made sense in Red Orchestra because of what the game is and what it was meant to accomplish, but in this game I think it would just be really pointless

Upvote 0
personally, i dont want to see a bunch more ordinary weapons..id rather see more interesting weapons

maybe trip mines for instance
or how about a weapon that lets you use the enemies as your weapon by directing them to attack each other..

tbh im not a creative type, but i think that it would be a mistake to add like 5 new rifles that do roughly the same thing

it made sense in Red Orchestra because of what the game is and what it was meant to accomplish, but in this game I think it would just be really pointless

Well, for one, this isn't Serious Sam or Duke Nukem... the weapons are supposed to be at least quasi-realistic.

Hence why you don't have a shrink-ray or freezegun.

Upvote 0