• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Max Ping Limit

Wait .. wait .. wait.

Here is how it works: The Unreal Engine uses a UDP protocol. UDP is a connectionless protocol. The UE fires off a packet into etherspace and forgets about it. If the client doesn't receive it, they'll have to wait for the next one (the UE wouldn't even know if the client received it.. it doesn't care).

UE compensates for this by the Client application predicting (based on motion and your current actions) where your character will be in the world, and moves you to that location. This may not be correct as the Server takes president over this, and that's why on really laggy servers you'll be jumping all over the map (as the Server tells the client "No, you're actually here").

Anyways, what I'm saying is that one person with a 200 ping will really only affect that one person. It won't affect your gameplay / ping, though they may seem jumpy. In other words, STOP KICKING PEOPLE FOR HIGH PING.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
Here. Here, SnakeDiver.

UDP, UDP, UDP. Hardly the protocol to "lag" a server ;)
Been fighting that since the MOH:AA days.

They'll be affected and you'll see them "warp" around the map, but as far as server performance goes....its a wive's tale.

Hah, feel like I've been fighting that forever, too. Only reason I kick high pings on my TF2/L4D boxes is so that they don't waste a slot when they can't get a good experience in the game... People just assume that because one person lags the whole thing is down the crapper, as if they were all talking to each other directly.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
. It won't affect your gameplay / ping, though they may seem jumpy. In other words, STOP KICKING PEOPLE FOR HIGH PING.

Cheers,

I'm sure you enjoy playing with people from other countries but for me it's seriously annoying to find the majority of my local servers full of people with 300-350+ ping and unable to speak english.

Not everyone kicks the high pingers because they think they 'lag' the game, some people actually prefer playing with people that share the same first language and are able to communicate. Instead of getting some playing connecting over a few continents and with many language barriers ensuring your 6 playing co-op match ends up being a 3 man team.

Upvote 0