• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Forget the L4D comparison ... KF reminds me of.....

brett256north

May 15, 2009
COD:WAW "nazi zombies"

Some small similarities:

You have waves of zombies steadily increasing in number and strength.

You are barricading doors for protection in KF and windows in nazi zombies

You are earning cash/points for weapon purchases

And the BIGGEST similaritiy is setting up your team to defend a position.

I think alot of folks like to compare KF to l4d because of a couple similar enemy types, but in truth it plays more like Nazi zombies.

If you think about it both Valve and Treyarch stole aspects from the KF mod. :)

Last edited:
treyarch is one of the WORST dev-teams ive ever seen
also they have got the arogance-boomstick shoven up theyr a**es

wow dude....treyarch is actually a rather good dev company, heck I in fact know a couple people that have worked there. COD2 BR1 and COD3 weren't horrible games...no they didnt meet the standards of a COD but they werent horrible.. CODWaW was great and fixed many of the cod4 flaws and introduced many new things to the COD franchise...coop of course and also zombie mode. If you wanna compare treyarch to IW, treyarch makes 3 times the amount of games IW does and I would bet you treyarch is more profitable to Activision. CODWAW sold better than cod4.

And ya this game does have similarities to codwaw zombie mode...but wasnt killing floor mod out before codwaw??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow dude....treyarch is actually a rather good dev company, heck I in fact know a couple people that have worked there. COD2 BR1 and COD3 weren't horrible games...no they didnt meet the standards of a COD but they werent horrible.. CODWaW was great and fixed many of the cod4 flaws and introduced many new things to the COD franchise...coop of course and also zombie mode. If you wanna compare treyarch to IW, treyarch makes 3 times the amount of games IW does and I would bet you treyarch is more profitable to Activision. CODWAW sold better than cod4.

And ya this game does have similarities to codwaw zombie mode...but wasnt killing floor mod out before codwaw??

CODWAW sold about 1.5 million ish. COD4 sold over 10 million. Where do you get yer information?

Also, Treyarch are often called the BAD company compared to Activision. Even professional reviewers think so.

It's quality, not quantity.

Upvote 0
CODWAW sold about 1.5 million ish. COD4 sold over 10 million. Where do you get yer information?

Also, Treyarch are often called the BAD company compared to Activision. Even professional reviewers think so.

sorry wasnt clear...i meant compared to cod4 sales in its first months of release codwaw sold better..least that was true about a month ago

But dude....SAYING they have already sold over 2 million map packs for codwaw on ps3 and 360 ONLY I would guess there are more then 1.5 mill copies sold of codwaw....so that doesnt count the people who didnt buy the pack, wii owners, ps2 owners, pc owners

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58488

umm Treyarch is owned by Activision....Activision doesnt make games....it publishes them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree w/ the OP. I've only played W@W zombies on the PS3 but do agree that they are really similar, especially the 'new' zombie level in W@W that features the moving random box.

But personally I've played enough of the W@W zombie mode to realize it gets boring pretty quickly. It relies heavily on randomness - it's possible to use the random box like 50 times and not get the ray gun ever. The only way to "win" W@W zombies is for everyone to get the ray gun and camp out at the best spot.

With KF there is a lot more strategy involved as well as coordination. The only randomness involved is with the store location (and I'm not even sure if that is random!)

Upvote 0
does it matter?? just because Wolf 3D was basicly the first fps doesnt make hl2 bad because it was an fps as well. Good ideas are built on other peoples good ideas. There are big things that make KF, l4d and waw zombie mode completely different....but they all are zombie games, of course they have similarities.

Upvote 0

Yet COD4's been out for a year or 2, while CODWAW was only out since last November.

Also, people've been hearing about how it's a Mod of COD4, so most people aren't bothering to even get it.

Upvote 0
KF was there long before the release of Cod WAW. So they took the gaming mechanism of KF and not the other way round!!
It's the same thing with L4D.... They took some of the stuff from KF. I think they even admited it in an interview.

Dude. Shut the **** up. NO ONE STOLE ANYTHING FROM ANYONE.

"They admitted it in an interview." What the hell? Why are people here so "I can only play one or the other, and if I'm with KF, L4D stole from KF"

KF was a fun mod. I played it for about a month and a half, back in early 2007. I had never heard of it before then, nor had almost any of my friends I asked. When I saw the retail message, I sent them the link about it and they all had no idea again.

KF at it's height, was still very small. UT2004's community never reached the old UT's size and as such, mods for it enjoyed limited success. RO became retail due to winning the MSU contest. KF became Retail purely because of luck, because Alex decided to ask about porting the game to RO, and in the course of a few months, this was done and it became the retail you see today. Still with many bugs from the mod, which disappoints me. (It should of had more development time)

I doubt Turtle Rock Studios(Which made L4D originally, in 2005 they started Officialy working on it. KF Demo was released late 2005. That means, even if KF was in concept first, they both started around the same time, and KF was not even known by it's small playerbase in 2005, so how, if largely unknown to the community, did a gaming studio rip them off? It's first real version was in 2007 also, by which time L4D had already been in development for 2+ years.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/killing-floor/news/killing-floor-demo-released

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying, the mod while fun, had a very small playerbase, albiet a fun playerbase, as I remember some cool guys, I think one on my MSN was a mapper for it too. At it's peak, it still had a community of under one hundred people, at least from what I saw.

L4D did not rip off KF.

KF did not rip off L4D.

WaW did not rip of KF.

Basic point:

NO ONE RIPPED OFF ANYONE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0