• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crash on change to 1920x1080 resolution

Sickboy

May 14, 2009
Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3178 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (647)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80004005). Please delete your KillingFloor.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::Exec <- APlayerController::execConsoleCommand <- (UT2K4VideoChangeOK Package.UT2K4VideoChangeOK @ Function GUI2K4.UT2K4VideoChangeOK.ChangeResolution : 02AF) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (moComboBox Package.moComboBox @ Function XInterface.GUIMenuOption.InternalOnChange : 0035) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIComboBox Package.GUIComboBox @ Function XInterface.GUIComboBox.TextChanged : 0055) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIEditBox Package.GUIEditBox @ Function XInterface.GUIEditBox.TextChanged : 000B) <- UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (GUIList Package.GUIList @ Function XInterface.GUIListBase.IndexChanged : 0018) <- UObject::processEvent <- (GUIComboBox Package.GUIComboBox, Function XInterface.GUIComboBox.InternalListClick) <- UObject::processDelegate <- UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (GUIList Package.GUIList) <- UGUIController::MouseReleased <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I run all games in 1920x1080, this is the first I've had issues with. All other tested resolutions are fine and work beautifully (and the game is fantastic, by the way), but this issue is bugging me.

I use Vista 32bit, fully updated.

To replicate error:

Start application
Go to settings
Change resolution to 1920x1080
Change will cause screen to go black, which then normally changes back to the menu, but instead it crashes.

Tried manually adjusting the resolution with the console command, same outcome.

Comp specs are:

OS: Vista Home Premium (32bit) Service Pack 1 (totally updated)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, @3.16 3.16 (factory settings, no oc)
GPU: ATI HD4850 (latest catalyst drivers, v9.4, no custom settings, no oc)
RAM: 4gb (no oc)

Last edited:
Deleting your killingfloor.ini file should reset your resolutions. Let me check that resolution. I currently run on an HD tv myself.

Edit: I have no problem at that resolution. But I am using Xp. Will see if somebody with a vista machine can replicate.

Deleting the file didn't do anything. Still crashes on the change, and when I reload the application it goes back to using whatever I had it saved to *prior* to trying to change to 1920x1080.

Upvote 0
Deleting your killingfloor.ini file should reset your resolutions. Let me check that resolution. I currently run on an HD tv myself.

Edit: I have no problem at that resolution. But I am using Xp. Will see if somebody with a vista machine can replicate.

I'm currently running Windows 7 RC1 and play in 1920x1080. I can't verify for Vista right now, but I wanted to put that out there.

Upvote 0
Doing all of what was suggested only causes further errors:

Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3177 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (647)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80004005). Please delete your KillingFloor.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

I've tried changing the refresh rate (which I shouldn't have needed), I've tried enabling the override. The error above shows up if I attempt to manually change the resolution withing the ini file, and it occurs after the very VERY beginning mini-splash that says "Killing Floor" on it prior to the app going fullscreen.

Upvote 0
Stealth edited in my settings in OP.

Comp specs are:

OS: Vista Home Premium (32bit) Service Pack 1 (totally updated)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, @3.16 3.16 (factory settings, no oc)
GPU: ATI HD4850 (latest catalyst drivers, v9.4, no custom settings, no oc)
RAM: 4gb (no oc)

I tried reinstalling my graphics drivers, no luck there either. Refresh is at 60, but even changing to 75 doesn't do anything. I can run both fine at other resolutions, it's just the 1920x1080 that's giving me flak. I run all my other games at that setting with no problem (TF2, L4D, CoD4, M&B, Fallout 3, DoW2, Garry's Mod, Bioshock, UT3, EVE, etc etc.)

Upvote 0