• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First impressions thread!

graphics are okay and british accent doesnt suck as much as in the trailers (dont ask me why).
The only thing i really DONT like is that youre totally lost when your teammates
are suddenly gone, guess I played too much l4d.
Funny You mentioned that, I actually like it....It gives You a feeling of "OH CR@P!!! where everyboby go"....just as a new Way is starting and then You have to fight Your way to the sound of Your Team mates guns firing.
I'm really enjoying it, But I also understand it's not everyones cup of tea.
Well Done TWI, You made a great, Fun and entertaining Game:D

Upvote 0
After a couple of hours getting a better feel for the weapons and getting to grips with the game physics I'm having a LOT of fun in there. I'm going to stick to Beginner and Normal level for a while to build up a few perks otherwise I'll be eaten up too quickly.

In some ways I feel like I've stepped back to the early 90s of uni Doom sessions but with all the sophistication of a quality engine build and the extra addons.

Upvote 0
Funny You mentioned that, I actually like it....It gives You a feeling of "OH CR@P!!! where everyboby go"....just as a new Way is starting and then You have to fight Your way to the sound of Your Team mates guns firing.

That's what happend to me in the farm level. I was following some other teamates when we got into fight and suddenly found myself lost in the field alone. lol

Upvote 0
Took me a while to get a game last night, just when I was ready to give up our own Gameserver came live so I kicked people off it and locked it down.

First impressions were that beginner was way to easy for me and my buddies, but it still put a maniacal glint in my eye playing the game. It's very satisfying indeed, I particularly enjoyed using the Chainsaw!

I've now upped our server difficulty to hard, and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Great work on the art direction, and overall the sound is spot on (although it would have been nice to have different V command voices for each individual player).

Upvote 0
hmm love this game, it is awesome graphivs and core gameplay and maps and weapons are all GOD-LIKE!...but...the menus are ungly as ****, please patch this and make them more snazzy, it looks very amatuer ATM. the big red "incoming wave" notification needs a better font, or be smaller/removable, maybe have a sound play over the radio when a wave comes "**** weve got contact....", also please, pleas!,PLEASE! scrap the old UT04 server browser and replace it with the one similair to that in source and steamn as im having a aweful time finding servers, as the info is always wrong, and its buggy for me :(.

apart from the presentation its a nice tasty slice of zombie killing funj ;P

Upvote 0
Some (non-flamming) comments to HUTCH

Other than some server browser issues, everything runs fine with me, and with Tripwire, you can be assured that any problems will be tended to. Also, remember that this game is running on a much older engine than you are apparently used to, so graphics will never be as high as say, L4D. Also, regular price $19.99 on sale for $14.99, keep that in mind.

1. Yeah, they could enlarge the menu area, the type is rather small. Has absolutely no bearing on playability.

2. Refer to opening statement

3. Undecided myself on ZED time. I seem to like it in Solo, but not sure for multiplayer. However, it isn't very intrusive in mp as I thought it might be.

4. VOIP, that is probably players not having their settings adjusted properly in game. I know from experience with RO, took me a few days to tweak my settings so people could understand me clearly. I put that down as a user issue. I can also read everyone's name just fine.

5. No crash problems for me, can't comment on yours other than just because some games don't crash for you doesn't necessarily mean it is always someone else's fault when a new game does. But it is a new game, and in the past few years, I have yet to buy a bugless game.

6. Refer to opening statement

7. Best of luck to your community, but to not give the game a chance based on one night with a new game, well, that is up to you. I can only say that had I had that attitude with RO (which had its share of bugs when first out), I would have missed out on what I call my favorite game of all time.

8. Something I am sure will be fixed.

9. Crosshairs, is a preference and I am immensely glad myself that they are not included. To me they are hokey and arcadey. Besides, most likely after playing a bit, you will get used to where you are shooting and won't need them.

Best of luck, and don't give up! :)

-------------------------

My own comments at this time, again I am impressed. I only played a few hours solo and multiplayer and the only issues I had was getting a very random number of servers showing up in the browser (from 1 to 147). I do enjoy the fact that the gameplay isn't so linear as L4D. (L4D isn't a bad game, I can enjoy it in small doses only because its linearity). For an older engine, I think the graphics really shine and look pretty good with the settings all maxed out.

Still, I need to play more to offer a better and full assessment of the game.

Upvote 0
Great fun! but not perfect

Great fun! but not perfect

Played for a few hours and was great fun, the game isn't perfect like a lot of people think it is tho. One major problem i've found is if you're out in the open running backwards fireing nothing is able to hit you the zombies and what not just run up take a swipe miss repeat, someone was able to win a wave solo because of it. Another big problem is zombies and specimens getting stuck in doorways. Voice acting is bad in parts and a bit to easy on anything under hard mode. Healing people also can be a problem as you have to be kissing them in order to do it effectively if they move an inch while ya do it ya fail.

asides from the first two complaints the rest are minor issuse, the gfx are plenty fine for the game so are the ironsights i actually love playing without xhairs now i've had the chance to try it.

Oh and your mapper is simply amazing!

Good job :)

Upvote 0
First Impressions... Save your flames... You want honest opinions then put on your big girl panties and accept what I am about to say.

A summary: I run a TF2, CS:S, L4D based gaming community. We where looking for something slightly familiar, yet different to play and host. I Fired up 3 pub servers for this game and 1 prvt. I had my 4 KF servers up within minutes of the game being released.

I had great hopes for this game (mod). I was let down. I am embarassed I recommened the game to so many of my communities users.

Community host such as myself are your harshest critics and a big seller of the games we host, all on our own dime.

My first impressions.

1. Opening the game, the in game menu screen where you choose "Host Game", "Multiplayer", etc... Looks campy and "mod" looking. Make it more like the lil intro screen when you first fire the game up. When I saw this screen I was afraid of what I was in for... I was right.
Its a Welcome Screen. It seems to me your just nit picking and clutching at straws here.

2. Zombie Panic source with slightly better graphics. Slightly... If that...
No way NEAR the stunning graphics in L4D. Switch to Orange box engine anyone? Yes, comparing to L4D because it is a quality zombie game and is the best to make comparison with. This game is Zombie Panic Source level at best. Should still be a mod and not for retail sale.
The source engine is a really good engine yes, but isnt this game based on a UT4 tweeked engine? Therefore the graphics are going to be somewhat begind games like COD4 etc but graphics arent much for me anymore, its all about longevity and playability. Graphics are still an 8/10 for me though. Left for Dead is too clean. Your slicing and dicing zombies therefore i welcome the grittier, dirtier graphics. Adds to the atmosphere.

3. ZED, the slow mo stuff is annoying... How do I turn it off for gawds sake? And I go slow-mo when someone else does something that triggers it... Annoying. Make an option for off and on for each individual. At minimum make it a server cvar to turn on and off.
The slow mo is cool and i havent read anyone say otherwise yet, although you are right with the on/off option

4. Simple feature like in game voice chat through mic, horrible... Absolutely bad quality. In game can not read any ones nick name... Fuzzy lil characters that are illegible.
Everyone uses TS and Vent, and if not then yes the system ingame should be used, but even the L4d one is crap. Every ingame voice system has been rubbish so please dont pick up on this as just a problem with KF

5. Game randomly crashed numerous times...
My Specs: i7, 6 gig ram and a shiney new nvidia card... My machine is no issue, I assure you. My colo server I run TF2, L4D, CS:S servers etc, far exceeds whats needed. Hardware is NO issue... Don't waste my time asking about any of this...
If you spend this amount of money on that rig then stick a rant like this on here flaming it, then please put your hand back in your fat wallet and buy another game! No Biggy! But i did have alot of problems last night, but compared to GTA 1V and COD5, this is nothing lol

6. Mod... This game is still a mod... Again, shine up the graphics and make it more appealing. A good attempt and a GREAT concept. This would be GREAT if the damn graphics where just brought up to date. Everything is just.... fuzzy....
The way games are produced and distributed is changing mate. The new Battlefield 1943 game is coming soon with 3 maps and hardly any features. Its gets a quick release with less bugs as less content is there and then they lessen their team of Devs and use the DLC to make the full game what it is. Tripwire will do the same. Same goes for L4d also. OnLive is also in development so this will change games dramatically, but its for the best i think

7. I saw the previews, got excited, only to within 2 minutes flat say no... My community will not host this game long term... I am a bit embarassed I suggested this game to so many ppl who bought it, only to be so disappointed. I just this minute had a guy ask me how was the game, should I get it, and sadly I had to say "Save your money"...
I have to disagree with you in terms of the game but your opinions are your own and you are entitled to them

8. Game reverts to windowed mode when you close it and reopen it.
This can be fixed, although it shouldnt be the case.

9. Crosshairs anyone? Even when zoomed in your aiming is hokie and not accurate. When shooting your essentially spamming everywhere to bring something down.
Who plays with cross hairs anymore!!! Im no Noob anymore and we shouldnt need crosshairs to kick *** anymore. They make the game more artificial and fake. You get more immersed in the game if there are no crosshairs! This is common gaming knowledge my friend.

I bought this game for myself and my wife, both avid gamers. Thank goodness I didnt buy it for my two kids that game as well. Again, a GREAT concept. polish the graphics, make it modern looking, get away from the "mod" look, dump the Unreal engine (guessing this is the biggest factor), give a free upgrade to those of us who purchased this game at this time, and repackage and try again. And do it quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Salvage something that has hope...
LOLAGE Buy it for the kids ROFL WTF?!

Take the money you made and run with modernizing it and bringing it up to par, or just take the money you made and run... Ask valve for help... Something...

If there was a "Click for refund and uninstall" I would click it twice... Once on my acct, and once on my wifes...

Sorry guys, I wont invest my time hosting this game for the time being after the initial "fad of Killing Floor" passes.

Unless you guys put some serious changes in place...

Good try, but dont buy....

Im one of these types of people that will always back the underdog. This is a team of modders and mappers that made KF what it is today. They offered their time, money and skill to produce something that was of no profit to them. Im a modder/mapper myself and i do it on Cod4 and Cod5 just because im interested to see what i can make but also cos i care about the community and i like to think im helping it forward in some way. Tripwire are not trying to make money and run, they are modders and mappers that will listen to our feedback as they were once the community that built this for no profit whatsoever.

It will be interesting to see but watch this space! Alot more to come!

Upvote 0
I got warmed up by playing on a few easy servers and really enjoyed it then moved on to normal server which I wish more servers would be at.

I don't have a gaming computer anymore so I play at my office and after work got out I returned to the office around 7 got killing floor loaded up and played until 3 am the next day went to bed then I'm now back in the office.

My only gripe is there are a few clipping issues in KF-Manor where you can get stuck in rocks. Also there is a map glitch where you can get really up high and no ZED can kill you not even patarich, and this map glitch has been there since killing floor mod 2.0 :rolleyes:. I'm alittle surprised it actually got left in...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wasted 2.5h to play it with clanmates on our dedicated server. We set it to 600 speciman and dude...now thats ****loads of fun...also one of my "friends" welded me in resulting in me cursing him and his children....:D ZET time is fine..it makes up for some really cool moments...have to play more with the diffrent classes through...The game itself feels more like Quake or Doom..i dont know..the music and the cheese are there ...:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the graphics are amazing to me.... i've never had a top-end machine and this game runs perfect on my computer with stunning effects!

i love the ZED time, especially when someone else activates it and you can see why they activate it... you can be like "HOLY ****, NICE MAN!" plus it gives you a few seconds to breath and then set your aim and keep shotting..

ahh! can't wait to get home and play some more...

Upvote 0
Fantastic game.

To hutch, if you believe the communtiy won't last how come Red Orchestra is still going?

Crosshairs shouldn't be introduced as TWI said we won't see them in their games which is a very big plus point for me, as it makes it feel less arcadey. As for graphics engine yes it's 5 years old, but wait Bioshock Used UT2.5 with some UT3 features and that looks better then Source engine.

My two must played games being (RO & IL2) have graphics engines off 5+ years old, and look fantastic, If you computer randomly crashes i'd check the drivers im running a (to me) a very high spec computer and no problems.

Just a question will we see any other RO map converisons? such as Danzig or Stalingrad Kessel? as Hedghog 'Farm' is fantastic and makes the map a lot more atmosphetic, as you know where some off the places already are. Now possible to get an Mp40? :D

Best of luck TWI

Chris

Upvote 0