• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "New" MP40, a suggestion by The_Emperor

That melee animation looks like it would be rather painful for the guy on the receiving end, but I guess that's just the point, eh? :)
Anyways, regarding the recoil - the recoil in RO works pretty well - SMGs will still steamroll bolts in CQC while shooting from the hip while at longer ranges you have to be either supported or prone/crouched (preferably with non-depleted stamina) in order to effectively engage the enemy. That works pretty well as it gives bolts a chance to deal with them effectively at longer ranges and prevents the SMG troops to just dive to prone and tear the bolter to shreds before he can even get a second shot off.

I've actually played some rounds with a reduced recoil mutator (seems that one simply disappeared) for the SMGs and while I did find using them easier, I think it was unneccesary as they are perfectly suited for their main role, room-clearing, as it is.

Upvote 0
9mm ammunition has a very limited range, remember.
The Mp-40 has 200 meter effective accuracy the same as (the smaller 7.62 round ) Ppsh-41. The Disportionate range and range beween the ppsh and the mp-40 always puzzled me in Ro, realistically they are quite similar. I just hope in Ro-2 I can shot someone with the mp-40 ten to twenty meters away with some kind of accuracy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The PPSH recoil is also overdone in Ostfront. I think this is a balance issue. If done realistic submachine guns would just steamroll bolters in close to medium ranges even more than they do now. Just like they did in real life.
I agree. i mean i love realism just as much as the next guy. infact thats the reason i play the damn game... there are, however, something that you just have to do for the sake of gameplay. in real life combat you are dealing with far greater ingagement ranges and if these SMGs where to act like how they did irl then bolters would be screwed. the only way i can see to have both ways (both hi accuracy and the engagement distances that RO provides) is to limit the SMG classes even more.

Upvote 0
Why do we need to have "bolts rule the day"?

Just limit SMG classes a bit more. I see no problem with a few players on each team running around with "superior" weapons.
It's not so much giving SMGs superior weapons as it is making sure it's historically accurate, and not something that can't hit anything short of wasting a mag and spraying.

Upvote 0
Both the Red Army's and the Wehrmacht's mainstay was the rifleman, no doubt. So the main-count of players will be running around with Nagants and Kar98ks. But like so many yet said here, including me, it's a nail in the *** that you need to go prone for shooting someone at 50m distance. Sorry this is a no go.

This is like, I'll make an example.
You have an airplane and you want an RC model of it, when you now start resizing everything to let's a benchmark of 1:18, you have a large problem, the gears of the plane and the wheels are so small that they can't hold the weight of the plane.

This is like what has happened actually to the SMGs, it's okay to reduce the range in some way but to be honest it's been crippled!

If we now request the true range and recoil for the SMGs it's just normal.

Now concerning the map design: Yes, of course! We need maps giving both a chance so house-to-house fighting is done by SMG armed troopers and the open areas like sites in the city are controlled by riflemen and MG-gunners. If you're now that stupid to try to perform with a bolt in CQC against an SMG it's your own fault. Just like trying to snipe with a pistol. :)

Sure there'll be maps which will give large advantages to SMGs but it's also the other way round. The most important feature of maps is that you can enter every building in the map. I hate it like hell when you can't get into buildings. Like yet mentioned, in war you can enter any building that is not burning or just collapsing. If you can't open the door you blow it up or you use the windows for access.

Upvote 0
Both the Red Army's and the Wehrmacht's mainstay was the rifleman, no doubt. So the main-count of players will be running around with Nagants and Kar98ks. But like so many yet said here, including me, it's a nail in the *** that you need to go prone for shooting someone at 50m distance. Sorry this is a no go.

This is like, I'll make an example.
You have an airplane and you want an RC model of it, when you now start resizing everything to let's a benchmark of 1:18, you have a large problem, the gears of the plane and the wheels are so small that they can't hold the weight of the plane.

This is like what has happened actually to the SMGs, it's okay to reduce the range in some way but to be honest it's been crippled!

If we now request the true range and recoil for the SMGs it's just normal.

Now concerning the map design: Yes, of course! We need maps giving both a chance so house-to-house fighting is done by SMG armed troopers and the open areas like sites in the city are controlled by riflemen and MG-gunners. If you're now that stupid to try to perform with a bolt in CQC against an SMG it's your own fault. Just like trying to snipe with a pistol. :)

Sure there'll be maps which will give large advantages to SMGs but it's also the other way round. The most important feature of maps is that you can enter every building in the map. I hate it like hell when you can't get into buildings. Like yet mentioned, in war you can enter any building that is not burning or just collapsing. If you can't open the door you blow it up or you use the windows for access.
Might be a problem for FPS. Think of the FPS on Danzig Remix with 40 players.

Upvote 0
I agree. i mean i love realism just as much as the next guy. infact thats the reason i play the damn game... there are, however, something that you just have to do for the sake of gameplay. in real life combat you are dealing with far greater ingagement ranges and if these SMGs where to act like how they did irl then bolters would be screwed. the only way i can see to have both ways (both hi accuracy and the engagement distances that RO provides) is to limit the SMG classes even more.

Or you could have REALISTIC ENGAGEMENT DISTANCES and make the game as realistic as possible.

Upvote 0
Dunno if you guys have played the mod but smgs were portrayed pretty much the same while standing as they now seem to be in a resting configuration. Which means smgs are quite accurate with lowish recoil. Although rifles had less initial sway as well so you could pretty easily take point and aim while standing.

I liked that a lot more myself, and thats comming from a person that only played with bolt action rifles. The stopping power of the bolt or mg with good damage moddeling could push the edge a little more to the bolt. Sniper and MG are overpowered weaponry but they are limited anyway.

Although the maps in the mod were a lot more bare. So less turned over and broken trucks on roads or sandbags wood stacks everywhere etc. So people needed the additional accuracy. Although i actually liked it that way best, i feel that my rifle was more usefull back in the mod than it is now in retail. Even against stronger smgs, and grenades that were called mini nukes for a reason.

Even though all other weapons were seemingly stronger, i personally think that as long as a weapon got some form of edge over other weapons in a single aspect there will always be people that prefer that over others that are better if you add all aspects together.

I just hope that like COD4 or whatever there will be a hardcore mode for Red Orchestra. Even though by default its probably more hardcore than cod4, still there are some small things that i think would give more enjoyable gameplay if done more realistic. Like no meter showing who is capping what, or exactly how many enemies are in the capzone, and weapon recoil for smgs and hipped mgs thats like their real parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
War not balanced so why should game be??? I thought you fans wanted a super realistic WW2 game? Hyprocrites??

I don't like the unrealistic amounts of recoil on the SMG's if you choose to use a Bolt action rifle then stick to your range or pull out a pistol.

Mp-40 is only a 9mm bullet but in RO it kicks like a 30-6 WTF!

please TW lower the amount of recoil on some of the SMG's.

People that want balance in a realistic game don't know what they're talking about IE Hyprocrites.

Upvote 0
War not balanced so why should game be??? I thought you fans wanted a super realistic WW2 game? Hyprocrites??

I don't like the unrealistic amounts of recoil on the SMG's if you choose to use a Bolt action rifle then stick to your range or pull out a pistol.

Mp-40 is only a 9mm bullet but in RO it kicks like a 30-6 WTF!

please TW lower the amount of recoil on some of the SMG's.

People that want balance in a realistic game don't know what they're talking about IE Hyprocrites.
Hear, hear!

Upvote 0