• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A first person cover system?

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
I read the article on RO:HoS and saw that a first-person "cover system" has been added to the game. :(

The leaning worked great in RO. Does anyone know if it will still be in? Or if the "cover system" will be removed from multiplayer?

I am not sure why a "cover system" was added in. The leaning worked great for both gameplay and realism. What does a "cover system" do that leaning doesn't, aside from artificially look around the corner?

This is only my own speculation, as all I know about Heroes of Stalingrad is what I've read from the article:

I would think that a first person cover system would allow you to "snap" to cover regardless of its height or orientation so you could better stay under cover. Think of all the times in RO where you are crouching behind something to try and stay under cover, but the top of your head is peeking out because your avatar can only crouch to a specific height. A "cover system" would let your avatar automatically adjust his stance to best take advantage of the avalible cover. Think gears of war, but in first person.

Upvote 0
Why make the game easy? How, just at the click of a button can someone become a seasoned soldier?
You can't always rest your weapon on some surfaces easily.
Many occasions/variables where your aim is going to be compromised.
Running , seeing the enemy, going prone, aiming a rifle while you're slipping into the mud.
'Console-ish'

Upvote 0
It's too early to tell of course but..hearing about a 'cover system' puts up a red flag for me as seeming sort of 'console-ish'.
I'd much rather take my chances to maneuver for cover rather than just hit a button and there ya have it, cover.

I think it is a matter of making something that is easy to do IRL easy to do ingame.

Taking cover behind a chest-high or shoulder-high wall (think trenches) is a non-issue IRL, but in current RO if it isn't *just* the right height, you're either staring at dirt or half your torso is exposed.

A cover system would (hopefully) solve this.

Upvote 0
Very interesting topic! Thanks, and I totally respect you're input.
But, in real life/war I don't think it would always be so easy to 'just take cover' behind whatever box, wall, or such. There are human emotions/reactions involved, human judgement of what is appropriate for actual concealment, ect.
A simple click of the button shouldn't designate that you're to safe in a firefight.
I'd prefer my 'cover system' to be something not just a point and click option. That seems like something too much out of my control and avoids the intricacies of RL combat.

Upvote 0
the problem is that in RL you have total instintive control over all parts of your body (except the penis sometimes) but in game you are limited to some pre-determined stances that sometimes just don't fit with ths scenery, you can go prone and expose your arms that are clipping with the texture, or the point of the rifle doing the same thing, that kind of problems wouldn't happen in real life

Reactions: Bobdog
Upvote 0
It sounds rather interesting to me, and if done right it could be pretty great. But, imo, it's too early to speculate about it as all the info we have available about that feature at the moment is that it will be included :)

It is interesting but how can it be implemented in the right way without getting/becoming a console-ish, 1 hit button 'cover' wonder and still give freedom of movement and at the same time give a sense of control for the individual player?

When I hear 'cover system' I immediately think GOW. Console.
Not that I'm anti-console all the time......................
It's that most PC shooters seem to have many more options as far as control goes/via keyboard as opposed to controller/joystick.
A console controller has no control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is only my own speculation, as all I know about Heroes of Stalingrad is what I've read from the article:

I would think that a first person cover system would allow you to "snap" to cover regardless of its height or orientation so you could better stay under cover. Think of all the times in RO where you are crouching behind something to try and stay under cover, but the top of your head is peeking out because your avatar can only crouch to a specific height. A "cover system" would let your avatar automatically adjust his stance to best take advantage of the avalible cover. Think gears of war, but in first person.

I hope this is the case. It was especially annoying with the windows being at the wrong heights so you couldn't rest your gun or one of the window frame beam things was in your face. RO:Ost mappers take note!

As for the debate between stances and "cover-snapping", a solution may be to allow for more precise manual height adjustment. Like with the mousewheel or something.

Upvote 0
I hope this is the case. It was especially annoying with the windows being at the wrong heights so you couldn't rest your gun or one of the window frame beam things was in your face. RO:Ost mappers take note!

As for the debate between stances and "cover-snapping", a solution may be to allow for more precise manual height adjustment. Like with the mousewheel or something.

A more precise manual height adjustment indeed sounds interesting and part of a solution.
But something not just point and click. Something control-wise that would at least take a bit of effort and know-how.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The cover system to me would be great IF the soldier could crouch with the "c" key but when you hold "c" and say mouse wheel up or down you could adjust your crouch height fluidly from full crouch to standing. Another advantage to this is the developers don't have to look at every object and pick which walls or rubble need to be a certain height. If you could adjust your own height in cover it would give them the freedom to add more realistic obsticles without having to worry so much about "this object can be used for cover and and is the right height in relation to the player height when crouched or standing". This would also satisfy the "realism" being compromised by a "snap to" cover system. Just my thought!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A cover system is much more realistic.

The only reason console cover systems suck is because they allow you to see round corners without being shot at.

In real life, you don't have one height you can crouch at.

In RO1 there were plenty of times I was near a really low wall, or a slightly too high, so either way i couldnt rest my gun on it, totally unrealistic.

Also this allows for blind firing, which will add for much more realistic gun battles with the new suppression stuff.

this sounds much better.

Upvote 0
It is interesting but how can it be implemented in the right way without getting/becoming a console-ish, 1 hit button 'cover' wonder and still give freedom of movement and at the same time give a sense of control for the individual player?

When I hear 'cover system' I immediately think GOW. Console.
Not that I'm anti-console all the time......................
It's that most PC shooters seem to have many more options as far as control goes/via keyboard as opposed to controller/joystick.
A console controller has no control.

Hey, GoW was awesome and had good controls for PC. :F

Upvote 0