• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO:HOS multi-play max player

As RO:O already covers 64 player support I don't see why RO:HOS should not support 64 players or even more. In RO:O the engine limits to 64 players, I don't know but I think UE3 should allow more players, but it will surely be a serverperformance problem to have more players.
But thats all speculation, you will need to wait a bit longer until TWI decides to release official information

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the game will support high player amounts i hope they put a feature it that per map gives it a minimum and maximum player amount. Like the old ut2vote mutator.

Where a server could set a min and max players behind a map. So that at the end of a game depending on howmany people were in the server some maps wouldn't be selectable.

Like no danzig with 60 players ;o
And no berezina with 10 players.

Upvote 0
One problem I can foresee with 60 vs 60 is making a battlefield that is able to contain that many players and support the necessary level of graphical detail over such a large area without sending everybody's gfx cards tits up.

Not saying it's impossible but it will require some very careful thought and planning by the LDs.

Fortunately with UE3's terrain system the rendering of detailed terrain over a large area is not going to kill people's cards but a lot of meshes would need several LoD's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I swear I've heard somewhere that UE3 takes 128 players, am I right?
64 vs. 64...that's like BF2 vs. BF2...that's like Nintendo 64 vs. Nintendo 64...that's like...a lot of players.

and a whole lot of grenades...

I hope maps meant for 128 players are made to be used with 128 players, as in rationing the grenades to only certain classes, and A LOT of riflemen

Upvote 0
Were grenades really rationed though?

Just think of that part in Band of Brothers where they ambush that squad by the side of the road at night. That could be considered "grenade spam".

but they only have one life in which to throw grenades, if you throw your 2, and respawn 20 times, then thats 53 grenades that you have thrown, much much more than bomb dog could carry in WW2

Upvote 0
Why does everyone assume that this game will not improve upon the problems with map size, spawning and player numbers...TWI made good progress with these problems in RO and literally tested the results on us their community...They did a great job in fixing up the maps to allow for 50 players and it has to be said it gave the game a new lease of life at a stage when it needed it and opened many players eyes as to what the game could be capable of.

Now if anyone thinks that with a new engine at their fingertips and 3 years of development so far plus all the experience learned from the current RO will not result in something infinately superior in not only gameplay, scope and detail needs to think again.

I think RO:HOS will make people sit up and realise that the next generation of RO will be a huge step up from previous versions.

Upvote 0
Together that with bigger player servers the ratio for rifleman are even going down more. So with more people giving it LOADS more people that can run and gun. In my eyes destroying the gameplay.

Maps like Berezina and Tractorworks are awesome with 50 players, but its pretty much impossible to play those map because at every map change about half the people leave, meaning you start berezina with not enough players ending in that it will never fill up.

Danzig, Krasnyi, Odessa, Basovka, Kaukasus, Koningsplatz, Arad, Ogledow with 50 players do not allow for tactics anymore. It simply becomes a big push map where everything that matters is just killing people from any route you take. There are no tactical advantages anymore, nor that if some team slightly plays better as a team that will win. Its pure individual fragging skill and map unbalance.

Thats why i get bored of it myself, play a small map one time with 50 players, the next time it will play 100% the same. What i liked of RO initially was the freedom to pick where to attack and what to defend. So some guys with voice comms could win the map. And in current 50 player servers this is simply no option, i know that with maps that are more open and custom maps wont fill up the server pretty much, although its a degredation of teamwork.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with some of the points that both Zetsumei & AXEL have raised.

RO was originally designed for 32 players and it was simply wishful thinking by TWI that it would move beyond that but none the less they worked hard to raise the numbers in order to offer players a more wide ranging experience.

It's not to everyones taste hence the server sizes can be lowered to reflect the taste within any given Clan or host...It is after all their choice as to how they run their server and should always be so.

I think we all have to realise as i am sure that TWI do that the current version of RO is not all things to all men.

However I do seriously believe that TWI are much better prepared this time round to expand the game in order to accomodate a much bigger audience...I think TWI will be looking to build a much more balanced game now that they know they can run servers of all sizes...

Upvote 0