• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

for people who link l4d is ripped off...

envy9o9

May 3, 2009
its rly a great game i dont know why u have to compare KF and L4D so much l4d is awesome and KF looks awesome (i wouldn't know i havent played...yet) but anyways do u c valve being dicks about it? no. they're even advertising it alot so stop being dicks cus l4d is awesome and so is KF.

Edit: srry in title bad grammer its think not link.

also the inspiration to l4ds creation was Counter Strike sources zombie mod if u listen to the commentary in l4d it even says so.

Last edited:
Haven't seen many people here who bash l4d, to be honest. Especially not because it "ripped off" KF. It's more like new people hear about Killing Floor and they instantly think it's a rip-off of l4d (and who can blame them?). The natural reaction of fans is to set it right, saying that KF has been around before any info about l4d was released.
That's only to clarify that KF did not see l4d and copy it, but that it's an original game. It's not as much an accusation that l4d copied KF!

I don't think either game copied the other. As has been stated a million times, KF was there before l4d so it couldn't copy it and l4d seems more like valve's reaction to seeing the obvious demand for good zombie survival games, seeing the horde of zombie mods that came out for every game (especially valve's). I don't think they copied one mod in particular. They just saw zombie survival is what people want to play and they delivered it.

Don't fight hate that doesn't exist.:)

Upvote 0
Haven't seen many people here who bash l4d, to be honest. Especially not because it "ripped off" KF. It's more like new people hear about Killing Floor and they instantly think it's a rip-off of l4d (and who can blame them?). The natural reaction of fans is to set it right, saying that KF has been around before any info about l4d was released.
That's only to clarify that KF did not see l4d and copy it, but that it's an original game. It's not as much an accusation that l4d copied KF!

I don't think either game copied the other. As has been stated a million times, KF was there before l4d so it couldn't copy it and l4d seems more like valve's reaction to seeing the obvious demand for good zombie survival games, seeing the horde of zombie mods that came out for every game (especially valve's). I don't think they copied one mod in particular. They just saw zombie survival is what people want to play and they delivered it.

Don't fight hate that doesn't exist.:)

done, and done.

Upvote 0
Nobody owns the title 'zombie co-op' and it's obvious L4D and KF are, while they have similar concepts, two totally different games. You honestly can't compare them, yet some people do. It's tough, it really is. 6 people vs 4, objective based vs holding out, it's stupid. Why does there have to be a war? Just enjoy both games! :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, so far I haven't seen anyone really making this complaint on these forums.

The L4D Steam forums, on the other hand.......

Although the game isn't out yet of course!

Not that I think anyone will have anything to complain about when it is finally released though.

I played KF and loved it, then when L4D came out i absolutely loved ithat too and switched over to that for a while. It looked better and gave the impression it had fewer bugs. (Only an impression at the time... L4D is actually buggier than bug burgers).

Now, though, L4D is feeling tired and repetitive, and I find their lack of content disturbing. I've had my money's worth from Valve as I've clocked up a lot of hours on L4D... but it just doesn't have the longevity and variety that KF had. Also I'm finding it increasingly difficult these days to satisfy the following criteria for a good game on L4D:

1. Low ping (8 times out of 10 it's too high to be enjoyable). I'm fed up with having to spend 30-40 minutes going in and out of servers just to find a good one. Oh and the matchmaking system p**ses me off.
2. Players who don't quit. (I don't believe in 'ragequitting'. It's not the player's fault if he needs to quit. The game design/balance is bad, because 1 or 2 ppl quitting leaves the whole team screwed. This doesn't happen in KF so much)
3. Finding enough people online who are 'good players' to fill a versus or campaign mode server. Without good players it's impossible to have a good game on L4D.

Also I would now quite like to play a map that I haven't played 1 billion times before, and survival mode just feels like a 'mini-game'. :mad:

I could go on but you get the idea.

So I really loved L4D. The art. The style. The gameplay. It's just that it's so linear and 'prescribed' that the variety has gone, and as a result I'm just bored of it.

KF is different. Very different. I don't think it's possible to get bored of it.

I think it's actually got to the point now that even when the SDK for L4D comes out... it'll be too late. I'll be playing KF most of the time instead by then!

Upvote 0
I'm not going to go that far. Once the L4D SDK is out, people are going to utterly change game play. (Imagine what KF is to UT2004). That will definitely draw me back in.
I'd hold reservations on that train of thought. Source is incredibly hard to work with, at most we'd see a few gimmick maps, and maybe 1 or 2 gems out of the pile of simple BSP maps. Maybe 1 or 2 surf maps :p.

The reason UT2004 had such a vast library of mods (KF, RO, TO:C, FO, Blue Moon Rising, and many others) and had such a huge library of maps available was because of how easy it is to use. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Dystopia and Black Mesa for source as full total conversions with any amount of meat to them for half life 2, and I've yet to play any CS or HL2DM maps that are up to the quality of the games that they are mapped for, whereas there are hundreds of maps that are easily of the quality of UT2004 stock maps if not better. The first line of the Toolset section on the wikipedia page for source engine is "The Source SDK tools are criticised for being outdated and difficult to use," and then goes on to talk about how the Hammer editor has changed little from the HL1 days of GoldSrc.

The only reason that valve is able to use source to such effect is because they've been effectively using it for decades (it's pretty much the same engine as the original GoldSrc that they used for HL1, they just branched off a fork of GoldSrc's development and kept adding to it for the past 9 years) and are incredibly familiar with it, and have access to the source code.

Just 'cause Valve can make visually breathtaking cinematic experiences with their own engine doesn't mean everyone can, unless they take serious strides to make their SDK far more intuitive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, simply new maps isn't really going to cut it for me as far as L4D is concerned. I'm not looking for total conversion mods...but I'm looking for gameplay to get significantly modified. Modders familiar with the SDK seem pretty confident they will be able to do crazy things with the full L4D SDK.

This is probably a discussion better had on the Steam forums though. :p

Upvote 0
I agree, simply new maps isn't really going to cut it for me as far as L4D is concerned. I'm not looking for total conversion mods...but I'm looking for gameplay to get significantly modified. Modders familiar with the SDK seem pretty confident they will be able to do crazy things with the full L4D SDK.

This is probably a discussion better had on the Steam forums though. :p
I'd be willing to bet that there are few people actually 'familiar' enough with the SDK to make significant gameplay changes. Most we'll see are probably various server mods, which will most likely be a few hackneyed RPG mods and gun mods.

Upvote 0
NeoTokyo. Add that to the list of HL2 mods with meat. YouTube - NeoTokyo Official Trailer

Also, that old rumor of Source being Goldsrc just really built up upon has long been proven false. It's just some coding is the same. That happens in alot of games. New maps for L4D will be great and developers if said maps will be able to make unique ones with vastly different gameplay, I'd imagine. L4D has also trumped TF2 in terms of players, and this is roughly 6 months after release. TF2 also had an established I.P, which makes L4D all the more impressive.

I imagine Killing Floor will average the community RO has, 1000ish people at peak. Maybe since it's a Zombie based game, it may reach 2000-3000 though. It'll be a moderate success in the gaming world, but for TWI, it'll be another smash hit to add to their resume.

Upvote 0