• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New user friendliness.

zeke1183

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 2, 2009
I've had been thinking about getting RO for a long time and today i bought it finally. So now I'm thinking that how this game treats newcomers. My fps experience is kind of deep and I have played computer games as long as I can remember. But I have gathered that RO is far from your basic run and gun fps. That got me thinking that for example every mmorpg communities and games have been very unrevarding and dissapointing in the terms of learning while you play.

After all I really want to know that now I have the game, should I just start gaming and learning, or should I first read and learn from different sources.

Thank you for your help. And sorry for my bad grammar. :)

Learn the gamemechanics by reading the manual (how to attach a bayonett, how to change MG barrels, how to supply a MG with ammo, how to use/call for artillery, how to angle your tank to stand enenmy fire longer, how to adjust the range of your tank main gun, etc.) and then just play to learn the maps.

PS: Before taking an officer class (Squad Leader) make sure you understand the importance of that role.

Upvote 0
I'd say the RO community is one of the more mature ones, so you'll probably find some help on the servers if you simply tell people you are new to the game.
But don't annoy people by taking important roles (mg, sniper, squad leader) without knowing what you are doing and read up the controls.
There are also great tutorial videos made by tripwire themselves, but I don't know where they are hosted currently.

And now - because I'm a lazy bastard - I'll quote myself from another thread in the tactics section (which you should check out, lots of good hints there):

The most important hint to start with: You don't win by killing the enemy first, but by surviving longer than him ;)
Usually the one who spots the enemy first and has the better position (which are related) is the one who survives - not the better shooter. Follow your teammates at the beginning and look out when they are getting cautious - from now on always use cover, and check your surroundings before moving on. Act as if you were in movie, dive from cover to cover, hit the dirt when bullets wizz next to your head etc. :D
After a while you'll get to know the good routes on the maps, get the hang where dangerous spots are (and how to avoid them with sneaky flanking action), learn when to advance or change position and how to survive firefights.

Aiming of course helps to really use those advantages, but best aiming doesnt help if you are in the open and your enemy has good cover. The above tips you can use with any weapon, but are especially true for bolt-rifles. Once you mastered the above, the bolt-rifles are probably one of the most reliable weapons for you and you'll dont mind 'being stuck' with them often because no other slot is free.

Upvote 0
My best tip - start with the bolt rifles. The Rifleman class is the one which requires the most tactic and is the most different from your average run n gun COD game. The drastic difference will force you to play the game the way its meant to be played, and most people hate noobs taking any other role, even assault. Also, the bolt rifles are perfectly accurate, which make the game less frustrating when you cant hit things at first.

Upvote 0
Well considering you have alot of experience with other FPS, you'll probably have no trouble adjusting to the game. I too was daunted by the reviews saying that it's different and harder than other games due to the realistic gameplay, but it wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. Red Orchestra actually comes alot easier to me now than Day of Defeat and other similar games.

Upvote 0
The rifleman is probably best to start with.
It's a great role, but more importantly it puts you in a position where you need to think about what you do more then other games.
Usually, if an enemy spots you and you miss, you are dead. Therefor you have to create your own position in such a way that you are hard to spot, and it radically changes the way you play imo.
As Reznor said, from that point on it isnt even about killing your enemy, but surviving longer then him. If you have the shot, take it, but if you miss, be sure you are safe from your enemy. Take a shot and crawl back into cover, bolt your rifle, and try to peak out again. If you miss, maybe you are lucky and a teammate picked him off, leaving you ready to capture the objective.

To use more important roles like the squad leader, MG gunner, or sniper, you first have to know what you are doing.
Squad leaders for example give a small boost while capping an objective and counts for 3 soldiers, and he has smoke grenades which he can use to obscure routs to objectives. If you are unaware of the danger zones and best routs, how can you use him effectively? If you cant, it will upset people. Even if you are new.
If you play one of the less important roles like the rifleman, no-one will care that much and they usually are willing to help you get to grips with the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to say one thing: RTFM

You will NOT find much respect in this community if you don't know what you're doing. A noob running around, getting gunned down for being an idiot, TKing his teammates, these are all things I see often and I can't stand it. My solution: shoot them in their face, block their tanks, do any thing you can to annoy them. They'll get the idea and leave so you can start playing the game seriously again.

Upvote 0
I have to say one thing: RTFM

You will NOT find much respect in this community if you don't know what you're doing. A noob running around, getting gunned down for being an idiot, TKing his teammates, these are all things I see often and I can't stand it. My solution: shoot them in their face, block their tanks, do any thing you can to annoy them. They'll get the idea and leave so you can start playing the game seriously again.

Way to encourage new players, sov :rolleyes:

Here is a way of saying the same thing without coming across as someone with sociopathic rage issues:

You will find a lot of respect in this community if you take the time to learn what you should be doing. New players making the effort to find out where they should be and developing their skills in the game by listening to more experienced players will find it a very rewarding experience and it is a great thing to see. My assistance: show them where to go, help them in their tanks, do anything I can to welcome the badly-needed new players into the community. They'll get the idea and play more often so we can all continue enjoying the game seriously.

Sounds a bit better, eh? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And never forget, the single most important thing in this entire game is a capzone. You must be either moving into it with your team or using your team to defend it. Use your map often, every 15 seconds or so is too long sometimes, just check your map often. Learn what the icons mean. In this game, killing the enemy is just a side effect of actually helping your team defend or capture the capzones.

You are better off avoiding the enemy altogether to get in to cap a zone for example. Learn the best way to get to them and work with your team.

Use your voice chat effectively! The team that does not communicate is the team that loses.

Upvote 0
welcome to the community!

if you have played fps for as long as you remember... then this is one game that you will love and never forget.

you will get used to the gameplay fairly quickly. You just need to know what you doing and listen to all the above posts. and if you Tk, say sorry.
be careful with your nades!
get in the capzones!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the community Zeke.

Though I been slowly coming back with 3/4 of our old clan reforming, I started playing when this was released and can safely say it is one of the best communities,... ever. You'll always find bad apples so don't worry about that. They tend to weed themselves out and the majority I have found to be mature and helpful overall.
I think your on the right track by reading and asking questions so your already on your way!
I'd have to agree that starting out with a rifle is probably your best bet not to mention the fun with a bayonet attached.:D Communication is a key element in this game and half the battle for any winning team so listen up as well.
As far as other weapons such as mg or sniper, they are limited so most players like that you have some understanding of that role. However, the first time you pick one of those classes will be exactly that, the first time. So don't pay to much attention to the people calling you a noob. It's just in maturity and ignorance.

See ya on the battlefield !

Upvote 0
Although Red Orchestra can be quite harsh for new players, previous FPS experience is not at all necessary in my opinion. For me, this was practically the first game of this type, but I got the hang of it quickly. Having experience of something like CS might even be a disadvantage here... ;)

Remember that your mission is capturing and holding ground. Killing the enemies is just what you usually have to do to achieve it.

Upvote 0
What I found useful when I started was looking for clan servers where there are clan members of that server. They're the ones most likely to help you by answering questions, giving advise and stuff because they want you to have a good time in their server so you'll come back. And develop a tough skin for awhile for all the non-clan players that like to insult new players.

Upvote 0
RO can be a rough start for new players but that is for a good reason. This game is so different and challenging that you can't expect your team mates to train you on the job. You should always have a mic and try to communicate as needed. Your team mates NEED you to be prepared in order to win (or at least stay alive) so don't join public servers without spending time reading the manual, play practce mode and maybe change keybinds to suit your own needs.

You will probably find players who give you a hard time but do not get frustrated, get better! Try to practice offline to learn maps and vehicles and be an asset to your team by knowing how to win on each map. The manual is the first start but it still takes practice to become comfortable. Some people just complain and criticize regardless - ignore them and if they are making the game less fun find a different server. Each server has its own rules and community and eventually you will find ones you like. Playing regularly on one server will let you get to other players and that what I think FPS are all about working together and having fun winning (or losing) together.

Upvote 0