• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] NeoTokyo

Mkilbride2599

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
It's a mod for Source, pretty sexy one at that. I see you have a topic on it winning Best Upcoming already ,but no topic just covering it.(I'm sad to see alot of the hate for Source here, even though I was just defending to a friend that the UT 2.5 Engine was also a good Engine, and they moved from UT2004 to Source because of UT2004's limitations)

YouTube - neotokyo recon demo = Recon Demo

YouTube - NeoTokyo Official Trailer = Official Trailer

YouTube - Neotokyo Gameplay #001 TDM = TDM Game(Keep in mind, the developers said they didn't want to release this video that much, because it shows off a ~6 month older version and it's changed from this video quite abit, the Recon is newer)

It contains alot of amazing things, such as motion vision, thermal vision, IFF, and cloaking(Alot more, but not just going to list, you can go to the site if you wanna see that badly)

It also boasts a 26(Supposedly 27, but I hear one track is like 45 seconds)Soundtrack, which if for sale and has been selling quite nicely.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/edharrison

The Music itself is very beauitful. The mod itself is due out this year...I also hear that if any of you were displeased with the Gunshots, recently a Sound Technician joined their Team and is redoing them.(I had no issue with them myself)

61 Screenshots & concept arts: https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/124722/Neotokyo Images.zip

Enjoy. This mod got them all industry jobs, so I'd say that speaks for itself on how high quality it's going to be. Also, supposedly a RO Programmer is working on the mod itself.

http://www.halflife2.net/wiki/index.php/Neotokyo

http://www.neotokyohq.com/

- Justin Harvey? It's down in the Team Experience thing. Surprised I didn't see a topic for this.

Anyways, enjoy, and I hope to see some RO players when the games released. :p

For anyone who doesn't own a Source Engine based game and wants to play:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30219

In this topic, I'm trading a copy of HL2 + EP1(Gifts), and a Guest Pass for TF2 for someone to gift me RO. Worth checking out if you don't own a Source Based game.(Though as games themselves, are pretty damn good)

Last edited:
Yeah, the only reason this board "hates" source is because it is incapable of handling the sort of large, open, vechile inclusive games that the majority prefer, as opposed to tight Dm games.

Personaly I aknowledge source as being a good engine, but I still hate it and have yet to play anything on it expect TF2 that I liked.

Upvote 0
It's game modes are TDM, and CTG(Capture the Ghost)

Both Teams try to capture the Ghost and bring it back to their base. It sounds like a game of Capture the Flag, right? Not quite, when you PICK up the Ghost, you're only allowed to take your sidearm out, but you gain...WALL HACKS! You can see anyone, anywhere on the map.(IF you use a Mic and give instructions to your allies, this could mean victory). The Downside to having these Wall hacks? While you carry it, you're also made a Beacon that all enemies can see also.

When you die, you die for good in that round, ala CS-Styled rounds.

The Majority prefer open battlefields with Vehicles? When did that happen? Not saying it's bad, but I enjoy both types myself, but I've always seen more people like small mapped games.(Zeno Clash shows though, that Source can have gigantic MMO sized levels if you code the Engine right)

Also, the mod "Empires", has maps larger than some BF2 maps and working Vehicles with no problems...so it can be done if you take the time)

It's main inspiration is Ghost in The Shell & Akira, but you can see all and more of this information on their official website:

http://www.neotokyohq.com/

Upvote 0
Yeah, the only reason this board "hates" source is because it is incapable of handling the sort of large, open, vechile inclusive games that the majority prefer, as opposed to tight Dm games.

Aye, this ^

A sizeable chunk of the RO community are primarely interested in realism games and mods, the more realism the better, and Source is not well suited for such games to put it mildly.
Hence many people here aren't too happy when a mod that promises realism goes Source, as it practically garuentee's the mod wont offer the kind of realism and playstyle they are looking for in a realism mod.

But that doesen't mean people flat out hate Source, quite a lot of people here enjoy TF2 and L4D for instance, as thease are the sort of games Source does very well.

Looks more like a futuristic version of Counterstrike.

It does look more fun than CS, but yeah, it seems to be the same sort of game, looks to be round-based aswell (which has become a bit of a turnoff for me thease days, i'm not very fond of the kind of playstyle and community it tends to create).

Upvote 0
Well I thought he meant the majority of gamers, I didn't realize he meant this board alone, lol. Most people I talk to complain about maps being to large in games like BF2 and whatnot. Different tastes for different people.

Small linear levels? I once explored an area of the game that was GIGANTIC, and I mean like holycrap gigantic. It also had a 3D Skybox, which really makes it look sexy.

Upvote 0
Curse them for abandoning UT2004!:p It sure could have used a mod like that. Judging by how much they still seem to be stuck in HL2 mode (the sounds, the movement) it might have turned out very different if they had stuck to UT2004. Probably more like Frag Ops then.
Looks good enough to be checked out when a playable version is released though. I'm not really a fan of Counterstrike-like gameplay anymore (unless I'm playing with very good friends, but then every game has the potential to rock, right?) and if something like Insurgency couldn't hold me for long I doubt this mod can, but the style seems rather cool so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0
HL2 Mode? It's 100% conversion, nothing from HL2 will be left over in final release. Not a SINGLE thing.(Unlike ZP:S and other such mods) In those pre-videos, sure, it has some small things. THey've been working on it for a long time, I'm sure it'll be polished. Every texture, model, sound, byte, ectera, will be new. Shaders included.

10 maps on release or so, and 20 total planned.

I don't know why they abandoned UT2004...I don't think it was because of Playerbase or anything, because they've said they're releasing the game for themselves, not for players(And they don't really care if it takes off or not). IT got them all jobs and looks great on a resume...I can understand that.

Here is the UT2004 version:

YouTube - Neotokyo UT2K4 Mod Gameplay

Granted, they didn't work on it for as long, but it's not pretty. :p

Upvote 0
He's not talking about HL2 Assets (textures, models etc), he's talking about the "Source feel", the Source engine has its own very stylised feel to it, and i have yet to see a Source game or mod really break away from it (though admittedly i haven't played them all), they may have their own themes and visual style, but something about it just allways screams Source, i think it's mostly in the movement system and physics of the engine.

This woulden't be an issue if this feel was neutral or realistic in its nature (the UE 2.5 engine is good at this, it's very neutral), but it is stylised, and whilst it may work well for some games and mods, it clashes with the feel of others.

But let's just mention one thing that can be explained, that isen't so esoteric in nature, namely the movement system, it feels a lot like the old Quake engine, with a very overdone feeling of inertia and momentum, when you press a direction key, it doesen't feel so much like your lilttle guy is walking in that direction, but more like he is beeing violently pulled in that direction by an invisible string, and just stumbles along so as not to fall over, maybe some people aren't bothered by this, but it has allways bothered me, even in the old Quake mods and HL1 mods where it was also present (like i said, it feels like the old Quake engine), i have never liked it.

This is my only real beef with the Source engine, i don't like the player movement, and it has this strange feel to it that finds its way into every game or mod on the engine, making them feel less unique, they allways have this "feel" in common.

Upvote 0
Zeno Clash, Source based game with no Source feeling to it, most people didn't even know it was Source until it was looked up.

I love Source because it has a very realistic feel to the way people look in it and it's scenery has a very authentic feel.(Play "Dear Esther", for a good example of a simple, but effective use of Source's realistic feel)

UT2004 has it's advantages of being able to render large areas, this is true. There are plenty of mods and retail games that use Source and don't have the distinct feel.

I know what you mean though, Zombie Panic suffers from over-using so much of HL2 props and textures that it can ruin it for me. Dystopia even uses some HL2 Sounds, which kills the mood.

UT2.5 Engine is flexible, and was widely used, I know that. I've just never liked the way it makes Terrain and Characters look. I know that Source has some weird movement at times, but htat's mostly just because of lazy Devs.

Once again, Zeno Clash: YouTube - Zeno Clash Gameplay Video

It shows some impressive use of the Engine, really. Most devs never both to see it's real meat and I can understand why you guys feel the way you do.

I honestly believe, and I respect the UT2.5 Engine, alot of my favorite games use it, that Source renders more realistic graphics. Source's Physics are also tons of fun. True, the physics do clearly give away it's a Source mod, but oh well.

NeoTokyo to me, looks like another Dev team who decided to actually use the Engine and show what it can do.

In the end, both Engines have their pros and cons. Neither is really better than the other, but both are suited to different tasks, and are better at what they were designed to do.

Again, we're all entitled to our own opinions and we've all gone abit off-topic.

UT2.5's strong point was it's Engine licensing, and Source's was it's huge mod community and playerbase.

(And oh wow, I get instant posts now...that'll help)

Upvote 0
I haven't played Zeno Clash, but from that video it does look like the movement system still has that inherent "overdone inertia and momentum" feel to it, so that still looks quite Source'ish, other than that, they have clearly done a lot to make the game stand out, lots of nice animation work there for instance.

But then again, they obviously own an engine license, which means they can make changes to the Source engine, and it woulden't be the first time we see a studio take on an engine and make radical changes to it, infact most studio's make atleast some small engine changes for most games, even TWI has made changes to the UE 2.5 engine.

But this is not something you will see in mods, modders are not permitted to make changes to the game engine, it's illegal, they can only add their own assets to build a game that uses the engine as-is, if they are good enough they may also be able to make engine plugins that add to the engine, but they cannot change the engine itself (unless, like the old Doom and Quake engine, it's owners give permission and releases the source code).

Thus, you should probably not expect to see anything that radical in a Source mod, or mods for any other engine (excluding the freeware ones), they will allways be bound to what the engine can and cannot do to some extent.

Upvote 0
Tis out, not played it fully yet just thought I would let you guys know. Went into a server and the round started and one of my own team TK ed me straight away in the spawn, I left.

WTF is it with little ******s team killing its really starting to piss me off, its not just mods as well ArmA II has it share of little idiots as well :(. Is it getting worse the more you get little kids that have the internet or is it just me???

Upvote 0