• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Jucha port

Comparing the nike brand to a little known map for a ww2 mod by an author who cannot be contacted is hardly the same thing, plus szkoda isnt trying to sell it or profit so i dunno why your talking about selling or money exchanging hands here:confused:.

You obviously didnt follow my link. Copyright has nothing to do with doing something for profit or fun. If it would be ok to plagiarise as much as you want when you dont do it for profit, then i wonder why oh so many mods about Halo, Star Wars, Lego have been taken down.

Well i actually i dont wonder cause well, IP and copyright dont care wether it was done for money or not.

Upvote 0
so, if im doing a nike sneaker and sell it, but quoting that it is supposed to be Nike im fine? :D
Something IS changed. Simply due to the fact that map files in UT are not the same as in RO.

It's hardly up to you to guess the intentions of Heisher.
You might want to read up on IP and copyright ([url]http://www.wipo.int/freepublications/en/intproperty/909/wipo_pub_909.pdf[/URL]).

Well if you make a sneaker and say "This is all thanks to Nike, it was their idea, their creativity and their hardwork - I merely made a copy for non-profit show .." I doubt you'll get sued for rip-off, but then again i never claimed to be a legal expert

Upvote 0
doesent the map and its static meshes and custom textures have to be copywrited first? if it is, then what your doing is illegal, if not surely there is no law or rule binded to the map.
i say just port it and give the credit to the mapper where applicable.

copyright is nothing that needs to be acquired, once you create it, its yours...

Well if you make a sneaker and say "This is all thanks to Nike, it was their idea, their creativity and their hardwork - I merely made a copy for non-profit show .." I doubt you'll get sued for rip-off, but then again i never claimed to be a legal expert

Well, hardly when you do a single one (even though it doesnt matter legally, but well, i doubt it would be worth the hassle to sue someone for a hobby project), if you make tons of them of and hand them out for free, well, wait for the knocking on your door ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tbh szkoda there not much chance of you getting in the trouble with regards being sued etc. The worst that can happen is that you get a bad rep in some modders/map designers eyes well your id on these forums or Rich has a ***** at you on this forum. Also right or wrong other mappers borrow textures, assets all the time.
Really it comes down to your judgement and whether you feel you want to go by the letter of the law and want to wait around until you can contact rich to give you express premission or not which is a possibility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm encountering a weird issue after porting all static meshes, textures, etc. over into the SDK editor. Everything imports fine as it should except the sky stays completely black when I play the map in-game?
Edit: Upon looking into the problem further I noticed when I open the map in SDK the skybox turns black when I move around inside of it for some odd reason, which is what seems to be causing the problem...

Last edited:
Upvote 0