• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Differant amuniton types

Angry Hillbilly

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hampshire, England
Ive always loved the idea of being able to have dffent amunition types for your guns to fight the hoards. Some examples would be:

SA80: Standad ammo: Ur plain old ammo
Incendury ammo: Good vs clots on low health enemys and vry effective vs bloats (casues them to go boom :p)
AP rounds: The most expensive amunition for bullpup. Very effective and good for vs armoured enemys (aka Flesh Pound)

Shotgun: Standard Spred: Plain old Shotgun Spred round
Slug rounds: Fires small groups of large slugs. good for takeing out single enemys
Incendury Spred: Fires a spred of hot molten firey metal XD

Handcannon: Standand rounds: Your normal rounds
AP rounds: Good for the heavyer enemys (aka Fleshpound)

XBow: Standard arrows: Normal arrows
Incendery arrows: Fire arrows basicly
Explosive tipped arrows: Very powerful explosive tipped arrows

Flammer: Standard napalm: Normal napalm
Long Burn napalm: Good for makeing defencive walls of fire
High heat napalm: A difffent chemical form of napalm that burns at almost twice the heat of standard napalm. This does high amounts of damage but does not burn nearly as long as standard or long burn.

....etc you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I'd rather see it the other way around.
Its not shop-buyable. However, whenever ammo spawns on a random ammo area, a chance is calculated whether its normal, incendiary or AP rounds. normal has 65%, incendiary has 25% and AP has 10%).
Also, AP would be very effective vs. Scrakes and Fleshpounds, but do a bit lesser then normal damage to anything else. Why? Because normal rounds are designed to maximize damage when they hit a target (due to fragmentation and the "tumble" effect). AP rounds, on the other hand, are designed to focus force on one single point. Implenting this both adds realism, and tactical decisions. For example, a bullpup with normal ammo for clots and bloats, and an handcannon with AP in case a scrake or FP pops up.

Upvote 0
But then you need another key JUST for switching ammo types?

I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't really see what it'd add to the game when you're making the weapons able to do all sorts of things.

I sort of think that you get some weapon, and it becomes part of your role. You get a flame thrower, and you're the crowd control guy up front. You get an Xbox or winchester, and you're the person for thinning numbers from far away. And with shotgun you're for takning out bosses.
You have incendiary ammo on SA80 and then, well, aren't you doing crowd control from far away then? The other guys job but better..

If it's just ammo found on levels, it might not be as bad, but more having things aren't always better. But then if it's ammo you find on level, you have a key used up that you have to memorize for something rarely used.. They could have 100 weapons in the game, but they wouldn't make them better since they'd end up being minor variations of each other, and this is sort of to the same effect as that.

On another note, I like bravo's idea.
When you reload your flame thrower, you should drop the tank that was in it on the ground. How big of an explosion it is should be based on how much fuel was left when reloading. :D (So if you reloaded it when empty, obviously nothing..)
Oh and, how about not having things spawn on levels that no one could use? When I first saw flame thrower ammo when I was first playing I thought they where like HL2 exploding barrels.. Didn't realize they where flame thrower ammo, which no one had flame throwers so they couldn't pick it up.
Like if no one has gotten weapons then only weapons, pistol ammo, and body armor should be spawning.. if body armor is still in retail.(The models show people wearing it, I would assume they already have it on. But it's not like kevlar protects against stabbing and slicing)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omg this is an ace idea guys but could get very confusing, i agree with the suggestions for the multiple flame thrower and x-bow ammo types, and definately like the idea of slug n standard ammo for shotgun, and to a lesser extent the AM rounds for the rifles and machine guns, but AP rounds for pistols is over kill as far as im concerned. i like the simplicity presented in Zombie Panic Source's ammo type system, but it could be an aweful lot snazzier (and complicated mind you) a-l-a stalker in which matching ammo to gun is a puzzle within itself yet v ery realistic. so to round of my comment, diff ammo for shotgun, x-bow, and maybe flamethrower = win, AP rounds might be OK-ish, ;P

Upvote 0
Well they could keep things realistic with RO's reloading where you put unspent mags back into your pouch, and then the alternate ammunition you carry would be separate magazines, not a bullet pool.

Then you could just double-tap reload to take out your current magazine and load in a different type to cycle between them.

But should be weary about the types of ammo. Exploding bolts for Xbox is good. But it how do you balance their expense vs. grenades? Maybe they'd be just as expensive and you wouldn't be shooting alot and just load one on now and then against big groups.
SA80 shouldn't have incendiary rounds but AP ones maybe. But aren't AP worse against flesh? All the specimens are fleshy. So it'd be unrealistic to have them to more damage. Hollowpoints on the other hand.. if they even make those for the SA80.

You should replace the roles of different weapons just by changing ammo is the thing. Players should play their own part of the team with the weapon(s) they have and perks like TF2 sort of. L4D lacks this. Everyone is just shootan. The weapon you pick doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
Wouldnt multiple ammo types for each weapon just encourage people to pick a single weapon and not use anything else? Since it would be completely versatile...

Also, switching ammo types in the middle of combat seems like it would be frustrating :O

I dont think so. It has worked in other games and had no problems. Even without diff ammo types I still refuse to give up my SA80 :p in current KF. Its just about getting the balance right. You would just need to press a button which would move the thing at the bottom saying which ammo type and then it would reload. It was never frustrateing in Bioshock or Crysis and they were in the middle of MUCH more hairy situations :p

Upvote 0
I'd be interested to see it as a perk rather than a discoverable item. Since the Veterancy system is already in place, it would be much simpler to add something along the lines of an "Incendiary Munitions" class, in which when shots connect, the targeted specimen lights on fire for an extra "slow-burn" damage.

This would remove the confusion of extraneous ammo types, while still retaining the desired effect.

Upvote 0
I'd be interested to see it as a perk rather than a discoverable item. Since the Veterancy system is already in place, it would be much simpler to add something along the lines of an "Incendiary Munitions" class, in which when shots connect, the targeted specimen lights on fire for an extra "slow-burn" damage.

This would remove the confusion of extraneous ammo types, while still retaining the desired effect.

I think we have a winner here!

Upvote 0

No way that would be horrible for a number of reasons:

If its good everyone would just use it when they unlock it.

Its infinte use, so can't be limited ammo if they all ignite on hit, it turns all your ammo into incendiary, which I think is bad idea.

Its totaly unplausible, obviously KF is unrealistic, but I really, really hope they make it "plausible", and this idea isn't.

Personaly I think it should be implemented, but only ammo types that are actualy avalible for said gun, ie no Ap for the winchester, ect. Rarely and randomly replacing conventional ammo spawns would be ok i think, but I see no harm in making it purchasable from the shop, provided there is a limit either to how much the vendor has in stock or per player.

Personaly I think it would be best if the vendor has a limited ammount per map, that way you have to choose to buy it and risk lossing it by dieing, or keep it safe in the shop for the next round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think we have a winner here!
I'd hate seeing it for all guns.. What's the point of flamethrower? :/
Especially if you had specimens snared or going nuts when on fire instead of just taking DoT and acting normal like in the mod.

Also, again, don't AP bullets hurt less? Specimens are fleshy, not armored. They should be hollowpoints or something for pistols, for example. But I'm pretty sure they don't make hollowpoints for all guns, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0