• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bugs in RO, fixage?

Now let me ask something, maybe stupid??? Does this mod or mutator also hold true for other mods?

What I mean is with this implemented on a server does it also affect, DH, MN, CC and so on, if any of those bugs actually exist on those sides of the fence since it's CORE gameplay elements?

All those bugs exist for every of the mods, and no, the mutator doesnt work for any of the mods as it is changing playercontrollers.

Upvote 0
I may be dense, but why do you want to force projectors and shadows off? This will cause no bullet hit decals, etc to show up. I don't think this is something that the average RO player would want. Same thing with shadows.

The other fixes sound nice. We'll certainly look at what worluk has done and if the fixes are solid we'll look at integrating them. One thing to keep in mind though, any code that TWI puts out has to go through extensive QA. It's not just a matter of throwing something together and putting it out there. If we break the game, we break the game for the 400,000 people that bought the game. Even the most trivial of fixes can end up breaking the game at times, so we have to spend at least a month QAing those type of things. We don't have the same luxury that someone creating a mutator does, which is putting something out, and if it doesn't work people just stop using the mutator.

Very few companies have given their games the length and level of support that TWI has given RO. At this point with RO (3 years on from release) if a bug isn't a game breaker, its on a lower level of priority for us. TWI isn't a huge company, and with two games in development, and only 3 programmers, we have to split up our time as best as we can. Some of you might say "well then why did you spend time adding achievements to the game." Frankly, we added an achievement system to Killing Floor and did all the QA work we needed, and it was easy to port it over to RO. It was a no brainer for us to give the RO fans a treat based on the work we did for KF. We've even fixed bugs in the engine for KF, and ported them over to RO (such as the bug with VOIP not working on a listen server). We really love to support our community, but at some point we do have to work on some things that will bring in more money. Otherwise we got out of business, and there is never any more support, and there will be no Game2 (or Game3 as it is known now).

Upvote 0
I may be dense, but why do you want to force projectors and shadows off?
Actually I thought it was so that admins could force the fact so that people could NOT turn them off. I assumed he just worded it wrong.

I could be wrong though, but he'd have to speak for himself...

Because I guess people can turn all of those things off in game giving them quit an advantage.

Upvote 0
basically every guy i talked to stated he could see shadows/projectors from players throw walls.

Thats why there is the option to force them OFF.

on the [SNIPE] server some of the maps (dark hiding behind walls) shows a shadow (more like a dark spot) through a wall that a person is hiding behind, I have seen it personally, and when I asked someone else if they saw it, they said they did and that's how they know where people are hiding.

I found this video a while back of a certain RO community member and always thought I saw the rifle fire twice without working the bolt

YouTube - Red Orchestra Sniping

and at 2:44 shouldn't that have been a tk?

Upvote 0
I know exact what you mean. When I'm on Zhitomer I can see people walking on floors above me by their shadows coming through the floors and know where they are at and I have seen some shadows through walls as well, never really paid much attention to it though but I do know what you are talking about now. Thanks for the description Worluk.

Nice video too, I love the timing of the numbers with the kills, perfect... LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The so talked shadows behind walls will work only if you are touching the wall or you are really close to it,I know that on [SNIPE] server most of people use this trick to spot people behind them,so I play around with it giving targets to my team popping out every once and then to let them fire at me while someone else is scanning certain windows for him.Otherwise I just pop out with a binocular and give his position to my squad,score monkeys always eat the bait.

If I'm not wrong the shadow will not be casted only if the tip of your rifle is touching the wall,in that case they will not see your rifle pointing things through the glitched windows,not your blob or silhouette,just the flash,and if they see the flash is already too late

Upvote 0
I've seen shadows and just thought of it as another realism aspect of the game...people do block light and they do create shadows...this is not different in my mind then having my clan mate constantly trying to flank me while on MG yet I can hear his boots or he's breathing hard...just another situation awareness aspect of the game to keep me alive! :)

Bug-wise...we've all seen the boots through the walls on prone players... to make it more sportsman-like... a quick jab with the bayo to wound is much more enjoyable... as in...HA! I know you're there! :D

Upvote 0