• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG + Binoculars

LMG Gunners -- if we are talking a German squad LMG section -- didn't typically carry a set of binos. Same again for LMG, MMG or heavy-MG sections in the US Army. I presume the same would be true of UK medium or heavy MG sections. In the German army the squads LMG section leader carried the binos and directed the gunner of the LMG. In the attack, the LMG section provides the overwatch element -- the rifle section provides the maneuver element. "Realistic" would be players having to work in teams and sections. LMGs aren't typically intended for sniper or sharpshooter\precision work. Giving LMG gunners binos only further pushes the game away from "realistic" toward BF42. :D Squad leaders are already routinely equipped with binos in RO. So for "realism" you guys playing squad leader roles should team up with LMG gunner roles. The Squadleader role (with the binos) than orders the LMG gunner (without the binos) where to place the squads automatic fire based upon the tactical situation.

German MG-34 or 42 setup on a heavy tri-pod mount for delivering sustained -- longer burst -- much more stable firing platform -- automatic support fire was typically equipped with a telescopic sight. But I don't think magnification of the HMG telescope was on par with standard issue binos. German HMG sections were also sometimes equipped with small Em range finders as standard TO&E for putting togeather range cards. But the latter would not be operated by the gunner. "Realistic" in this case would be having the HMG in a fixed location for the entire scenario; or the tripod mount requires 60 seconds (or whatever time delay) to set-up and adjust. In addition, realistic for "mobile" MMGs & HMGs in a scenario would mean MG + tripod + ammo needs to be hauled around by a three or four man team of players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it would also be very useful if you could somehow switch from MG to Pistol quickly without the need to redeploy. When the MG is deployed the enemy can surprisely approach you at close range, he tends to run right past and shoots you from behind giving you no time to counterattack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0