• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tiger, worst tank in RO ?

Naz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2009
Seriously why it sucks so hard, super slow tower rotate and even slower reload. Within 1 kwk36 reload t34 can shot 2 times what usually change out tiger into piece of junk even in front armor. Pz4 is far better than it, however usually dies in 1 shot from IS2, luckly in 2. Also russian tanks are imbalanced with their powershield stolen from some alien technology, their power of deflecting rounds is just magic

First of all Tiger wasn't as invincible as it's been hyped to be. It was good for it's time for in 1942-43, but after Soviets updated their tank inventory it's been a different story . . .

In RO keep away from T-34/85's and IS' as much as you can. They can take you out anywhere under 500 meters easily. Your best bet is with Tiger is staying away from combat and picking off shots over long distances in maps depicting later years of war.

I'd say Panther is the best overall tank in RO. Just remember to keep the enemy in-front of you^^

Upvote 0
I always take the Tiger to some corner in the map and then angle it. I then sit there and wait for long range targets that won't be missed. This works out quite well, but from what I have seen most people will take the Tiger out in the open or a village and get killed almost immediately.

I agree with Rak that the Panther is a much better alternative and should be used over the Tiger if possible.

Maybe the King Tiger coming up in the Darkest Hour Mod will be a beast:D

I usually take a Stug or PZIV most of the time though and still manage to take out T34 with ease and IS2 with a few more shots.

Upvote 0
I made the same mistake as i started RO and not angleing the tank and then beign dissapointed in its "poor" performance. It takes some time to learn that you dont face an enemy up front. That sure depends on what type of enemy tank ( for example panther vs. IS2 where he can destroi you if not angeld and even angeld if he shots the turret. ). But it comes down to experience really. If you are new to RO tankcombat. Grab the MG spot and watch what the other guy is doing. Ideally they tell you what to do and explain the mechanics. But trust me...i only have the nerve to do that 2 times or so and then normaly people start to drive off. Other than that, tankcombat can be very engageing and satisfying with a good group of teamplayers. As allways in RO, its the team that wins...;)

Upvote 0
It's worst cause the 90% of the maps are impregnated with a huge amount of IS2,if there were less IS2 the Tiger will do the trick,but out of 10 tanks 8 are IS2 and the rest are T34/85.That's the problem,forget about angling or anything just hope for bad aim and if not you will get blow in one shot

Nee nawww neee naw. Police are coming to take you to exagguration-traz.
Out of 10 tanks 8 are IS2? Don't be silly. Out of 10 tanks 2 are IS-2.

The Tiger I's strengths are not driving it towards the enemy like an invicible steel box of awesome. If you're playing on BlackDayJuly and the Axis team use the Tiger like it should be used it is unstoppable.
Its strengths were never close range combat with masses of T-34/85's. The 85mm cannon on them is more than enough for good penetration at the majority of the engagement ranges in RO.

If you drive around in it like it's a T-34 or a PzIV you will die like you're in one. And yes, the turrent really did rotate that slowly (although there used to be a thread about it, apparently the hydraulics could be assisted by the main engine or something).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nee nawww neee naw. Police are coming to take you to exagguration-traz.
Out of 10 tanks 8 are IS2? Don't be silly. Out of 10 tanks 2 are IS-2.

The Tiger I's strengths are not driving it towards the enemy like an invicible steel box of awesome. If you're playing on BlackDayJuly and the Axis team use the Tiger like it should be used it is unstoppable.
Its strengths were never close range combat with masses of T-34/85's. The 85mm cannon on them is more than enough for good penetration at the majority of the engagement ranges in RO.

If you drive around in it like it's a T-34 or a PzIV you will die like you're in one. And yes, the turrent really did rotate that slowly (although there used to be a thread about it, apparently the hydraulics could be assisted by the main engine or something).

I'm not talking about standard RO maps,I'm talking about custom maps,people here does not know what balance means.

Back in the days where I was spending my time playing OFP some maps had time balance between spawns of a certain type of vehicle.Abrams and T-80 would spawn after 5 minutes to avoid heavy flood and ease the life of people using IFV or AT weapons,light tanks and IFV would spawn after 3 minutes and the evil choppers after 9 or 10 minutes.

Back to RO take a look to some maps like:

Panzershlacht Von Gary was balanced in some versions but now is quite hard to tick objects.20vs20,14 tanks out 20 where/are IS2 6 are T34/85 camping somewhere around your spawn leaving area just to make sure that you will not come in big numbers around their towns.Now angle 14 IS2 inside a town and do some maths

Blackday December in a version I have counted about 10 IS2 and germans as usual are out of Stugs to keep them busy/quite

Some versions of Debrecen,in some versions when and as usual commies will get the forward spawn you will have to fight against 6 of them meanwhile the speedy T34s will tick the last 2 objects or make a stalemate situation for scoreworing purposes

Some versions of Orel,take the CC toss arty on german's bridges,put a couple of IS2 to guard their only undestroyable bridge and leave the rest of them 4 or more to camp around ruins or somewhere else to kill whatever tries to escape.Not to mention the classic player that will just sit 400 meters away of your spawn zone that pinpoints you when you try to leave or do something useful

AZ is safe since is CC's holy-ground and ivan don't need big numbers of IS2 to win since they have all the advantages,fast tanks,forward spawn,unlimited resource of panzerfaust's,the tank buster car...

In the end they all have an huge amount of IS2 that will spawn in no time,well sometimes they will respawn after a couple of minutes maybe less,but in most of them you don't have the time to kill one of them that another one will pop out from nowhere and one shot you.

And commies sometimes complain about that we have the Tiger but when I'm out with a T34/76 my bigger problem is not the Tiger is the Panther.I'm not afraid about Tiger since is a rare thing to sight and you will spot one you will have all the time to outflank it,set an ambush or just ignore it

Upvote 0
Well my major problem is that I like big maps,vanilla maps are quite boring cause for me there is not enough space to move,hide or do whatever you want and there are some problems regarding spawn and game system.There are more chances to survive to a full carnage with craploads of arty at the last bunker in the CoD:UO Ponyri base assault map than here without arty or tanks.I'm not saying that CoD is better it simple offers some better places to escape/hide even if the maps are more small than RO maps.

I just want a big combined map like AZ,with less lame stuff,revised spawn zones and time...maybe in game2 :D

Upvote 0
Yeap, clown cars with satchels are the worst to play against as a tanker. So realistic :lol:

The tiger on large maps is a great standoff tank where you have time to target and pick of russians at range. PIV get's pretty owned by the russian tanks though. Would like some better range tank maps.

Wonder what the future of RO tanking will bring to the table??? Tanks that can go through wooden picket fences??? ;)

Upvote 0
I'm not talking about standard RO maps,I'm talking about custom maps,people here does not know what balance means.

I have to agree with this.

I have seen some horrible custom tank maps that I really want to know what kind of drugs they were doing or what kind of crack they were smoking.

I haven't and I don't see any reason to complain about tank balance. Anti-tank balance on the other hand... don't get me started...

What's there to complain since technically RO's tank and armour system is realism-wise rather ****ed up, while gameplay-wise you can live with it more or less, or consider it as "somewhat ok" ?

Upvote 0
What's there to complain since technically RO's tank and armour system is realism-wise rather ****ed up, while gameplay-wise you can live with it more or less, or consider it as "somewhat ok" ?

I meant balance between the two factions. I know everyone has heard this hundreds of times before, but the German anti-tank class is significantly better in most anti-tank and anti-infantry encounters. I don't really want to go into length and I do understand that Russian anti-tank also holds some advantages, but I have a feeling that this topic has been discussed to death and regardless, this is not the thread for discussing it further.

Upvote 0
First of all Tiger wasn't as invincible as it's been hyped to be. It was good for it's time for in 1942-43, but after Soviets updated their tank inventory it's been a different story . . .

In RO keep away from T-34/85's and IS' as much as you can. They can take you out anywhere under 500 meters easily. Your best bet is with Tiger is staying away from combat and picking off shots over long distances in maps depicting later years of war.

I'd say Panther is the best overall tank in RO. Just remember to keep the enemy in-front of you^^

And that's why they brought out the King Tiger :)

Upvote 0
Naz said:
Seriously why it sucks so hard, super slow tower rotate and even slower reload. Within 1 kwk36 reload t34 can shot 2 times what usually change out tiger into piece of junk even in front armor.
Yeah it is 60 secs for full traverse for Tiger I in RO this is because it was dependent on engine RPM however 60 secs for full traverse this was only for the first 250 Tiger I's. The rest were fitted with a slightly better version of the Maybach engine (Maybach HK 230 P45) and could sustain higher rpms that gave a bit more speed to the turret. I believe its around 48 secs for full traverse for the 1943 + Tiger I's.
The reload rate rate is around 6-8 secs (excellent turret set up on German tanks)- The Armored Beasts mutator modeled the quicker turret traverse and reloads.
Rak said:
Err what are you insinuating here? You should look at the amounts of tanks the Tiger's destroyed vs thier own losses.
The latest T-34 the T-34"85" was not a match for the Tiger I E! In a frontal engagement the T-34 could not penetrate the front of the Tiger I except at ranges under 500 meters between 100-400 meters depending if you hit the nose or DFP. Realistically if you get that close you should be awarded a metal, "T-34 tips its hat to the Tiger". The penetrative ablities of the T-34/85 were not remotely close to that of the German 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 it was actually was less than that of the 76 mm Sherman and the Panzer IV late G to J 75 mm KwK 40 L/48. Its more comparable to the earlier 75mm KwK 40 L/43.

The T-34 85's frontal armor was still 45 mm sloped at 60 degrees like the earlier verisons which provided adaquate protection against most rounds up to 50 mm caliber but by late '42 and '43 the armor no longer provided protection aganst the growing number of long 75 mm (75 mm KwK 40 L/43 - L/48) which could penetrate the T-34's armor up to 1,200 meters at any angle-("Panzertruppen" Thomas L. Jentz) due to not only its pentrative abilities but because of overmatch which negated the ballistic protection given by the sloped armor of the T-34. The Tiger on the other hand had 100 mm of RHA in the front + a slight slope especially the nose and 80 mm sides and rear which was thick and had excellent quality (unlike the T-34 which degradated in quality as the war went on not to mention the poor weld points) Because of this the Tiger's armor tended to shatter Allied rounds even when penetration should have taken place ("shatter gap"). The speed and mobility of the T-34 76 mm vs the 85 mm was slightly reduced due to the weight increase although it was still much quicker than the Tiger I tank although the Tiger was no moving bunker ....
Much have been said about the Tiger's maneuverability, that the Tiger was a "lumbering monster", or that "it could barely move", but that is not exactly the truth. The Tiger I was very maneuverable for its weight and size, and superior to the Sherman in muddy terrain, despite its size and weight, as it had less ground pressure. This capability was provided by the the combat tracks of 755 mm width, which resulted in a ground pressure of 15.0 psi, or 1.05 kg/cm

Last edited:
Upvote 0