• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finland school gunman kills nine

They should try to keep the killers alive somehow(unlike as most of them tend to shoot themselves in the head once they're finished but still sometimes it might be possible), try to stabilize them. Then put them in a cell, confront them with that they have done and show them their victim's parents/friends etc. and after that torture them for the rest of their lives.

Only problem with this might be the odds that they really could not give a crap about what they've done and instead get as happy as a giggling school girl. Sure, that is not a good excuse to shoot them (the shooters) in the first place, but then again it is more or less of an issue when they go beyond the point of no return.

As long as they try to blame "violent video games " over here..instead of our ****ed up masterialistc "me frist" society...was just a matter of time.

Pretty much just proves how many mr.know-it-alls and ms.know-it-alls have really no clue about anything going on behind the scenes. Ignorance is a bliss.

instead of our ****ed up masterialistc "me frist" society...was just a matter of time.

Then mr. and ms. know-it-alls would be shooting on their own foot. When something like this happens, being fairly rational just makes majority to think that "oh, that guy must be a potential school shooter\violent bastard\something like that aswell. Let's call the police and search his house and sodomise their cat etc etc", in other words they don't do it. They know more or less that criticizing and blaming something that's often regarded as child's tool (video games in this instance) and not knowing about it works beter than criticizing about something they might actually know about.

After all, when something like this happens it inspires fear more or less. Compare it to a situation where the fairly rational minority is poking already angered tiger with a stick, and the tiger is the frightened majority whose illusion-quality barrier "life is perfect, no-one can hurt me" has been broken. It does happen somewhat more often than one might think.

Upvote 0
And ofcourse they blame games already. Counter-Strike this time. Suprise suprise.
Of course, them bad ego-shooters like 'Counter-Strike' or 'World of Warcraft' where the only objective is to crush babies and kill pregenant women in the most brutal way in order to beat the highscore. :rolleyes: If they did some research at least, but no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kinda terrifying for an intellectual amoebe like me, actually. There's not much in the news media I know a whole lot about and in most cases, especially when multiple sources tell me the same, I give them the benefit of the doubt, but then when it's "blame the music/movies/games" time they enter a territory in which I can see through their non-existant research and intentional deception and it makes me wonder how much they lie and manipulate in their other news.:(

Upvote 0
The also say he posted a message on krautchan(german 4chan) announcing his attack.
Message from Krautchan: "No killing spree was announced here, there are only people who know how to use Photoshop."

Seriously doesn't the media check their resources anymore?
Also, the guy who stabbed those babies in Belgium still lives and he isn't saying anything. Him, the german, and probably a few others who did something like this have one thing in common: They had a depression a few years ago but weren't treated for it completely. But clearly videogames seem to have caused it, not a depression, violent games, movies, music (mix of these three in particular) and easy access to weapons (ofcourse you can't actually ban knifes)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And once more we have the predictable mass media scapegoating, its them tharr videer gaems! must be! and as allways, there is not a shred of evidence that suggests games have anything to do with it.

But every tale must have a villain, and you can't very well point the blame at the parents, ohh deary me no, perish the thought! then the villain would be a figure parents could relate to, thats not how it goes.. the villain is supposed to be some shadowy evil figure, not people just like the target audience, that'll never work.. WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE RATINGS!?

But here's something to ponder, who let the 17 year old play CS? the parents did, who owned the firearm and obviously didn't do a very good job of restricting his access to said firearm? the father did, and who took the kid out of medical treatment for clinical depression, despite the Doctors insistance that he needed more, ambulent treatment for his condition? the parents did..

Ohh but obviously, it must be all Counter Strike's fault :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Ohh but obviously, it must be all Counter Strike's fault :rolleyes:

As I said before, blaming and criticising something the majority has no real knowledge at all is "fine." Criticising about something they actually might know about (parenting, some basics of society etc) is same as shooting or peeing on your own feet.

It's still stupid as hell, but in this case... their ignorance is a bliss. None of the typical retards gives a turd about the facts when the **** hits the fan. Being reasonable equals: "Oh, you're one of THOSE shooters aswell? I always thought you are quite ****ed up." to the media. Kinda like Jack Thompson and most of his arguments about video games.

Upvote 0
I think part of the reason for things like this (if we talk about young people doing a shooting like this in a school) is about people that feel a need to "be something". Internet gives instant "fame" when doing things like this.

Of course this is not the only reason, there are other social underlying aspects effecting people like this. But a nobody does become a somebody even if it is post mortem.

Upvote 0
I think part of the reason for things like this (if we talk about young people doing a shooting like this in a school) is about people that feel a need to "be something". Internet gives instant "fame" when doing things like this.

Of course this is not the only reason, there are other social underlying aspects effecting people like this. But a nobody does become a somebody even if it is post mortem.

It's not about fame, never has been, telling people their intensions on the internet is just a last minute cry for help before they take the plunge.

We know why they do it, it is no mystery, some spree killers have been taken alive and been willing to talk to psychiatrists, profilers and others about their motivations and state of mind, we know what makes them tick, and why they do it.

We're just not using that information for.. anything, at all, we could be preventing thease things if teachers where given a crash course in spotting the early warning signs of a student like this, so they could be send to the school shrink and get some much needed help, but we don't, the media just drones on about whatever the popular scapegoat of the season is (for now its video games, in the past it has been Rap music, Heavy Metal, Dungeons and Dragons, Rock'n Roll and many more), and 14 days later nobody remembers it, and nothing changes untill the next one happens, then we get another 14 days of finger pointing by the media and nothing usefull happens again.. useless, bloody useless..

Upvote 0
If it were that easy. Have teachers go to a crash-course and abracadabra: No more killing sprees!

I don't know how often we made stupid jokes about bringing this or that rifle to school and even mindless discussions about which videogame weapon would be best suited for the job and if cheats should be allowed or not... We were dumb kids. None of us ever planned to do anything. It never really even came into our minds. It was more or less about discussing video-games in a tasteless and therefore comedic context.
If anybody would have listened in on our ramblings we would have all been locked up in a nut-house or stuck into frozen carbonite - for our own safety. Well, either that or somewhat intelligent adults would have known we were just rambling and would have ignored us - which is what happened and which is the only proper reaction to something like this. May sound apathic, but from my perspective there was nothing wrong with us except that we were stupid kids.
Sure, if we had a black sheep among us he would have been ignored too and if he would shoot up a school some day, the media would comb through his life and find overly violent drawings in his text books, heavy metal in his stereo and counterstrike on his hdd. In hindsight it's easy to construct a connection then and ask "why didn't anybody do anything! This guy clearly had issues!"
WE ALL HAD! Heck, here's some random facts about me when I still went to school, some taken out of context, some not:
  • long black hair (natural color and I wore it long because I thought it was cool)
  • almost exclusively dressed in black (1. because I like the color when it comes to clothes and 2. because it hides shadows a bit so I didn't look as fat in black as, say, in white. As with my hair, it had nothing to do with me being emo or even a heavy metal fan)
  • fan of first person shooters
  • fan of violent movies (not a fan of extremely violent movies ala cannibal holocaust or even Mel Gibson's recent endeavors, but still. Most of the movies I liked were pretty violent)
  • sarcastic, likes tasteless jokes
  • loved to make jokes about ww2 with a buddy (I posted some of my comics on here earlier. We were both very anti-nazi but we often did little propaganda speech impressions and the like so it could have looked weird to an outside who didn't know us)
  • loads of violent scribblings on almost everything I had that was made out of paper... (not for the sake of violence. Most were parodies and jokes on movies and games I liked and those were violent, but an outside observer wouldn't know that. He would just see violent drawings)
  • above average knowledge of firearms (way less than you gun-nuts, but way more than the average counterstriker)
  • father is a forester and is required to own at least one rifle
If I would have shot up a school (and I was never even close to do it. You'll just have to believe me on that one) each of those bullet points would make me look like a scary freak and people would shout "why didn't anybody do anything! This dude clearly had issues", but if you were to ask anybody who knew me, everyone would tell you I was just a funny guy. Stupid and harmless.

Everything looks so easy in hindsight...

Or as Carlin put it:
"'It's the quiet ones you gotta watch.' You've heard this right? They'll show the story of a serial killer on the news, and they'll always bring on the neighbor, and the neighbor will always say, 'Well yes, he was always very quiet,' and some jack*** in the room with you will say 'It's the quiet ones you gotta watch.' ...To me, this sounds like a very dangerous assumption. I'm willing to bet that while you're watching one of the quiet ones, one of the noisy ones will ****in' kill you!
-So you're sitting in a bar, and there's a guy in the corner, reading a book, not bothering anybody. And then there's a guy at the bar banging a machette on it shouting 'I'm gonna kill the next mother****er that comes in here!' Who're you gonna watch?"
You can't watch everybody without a StaSi network, and even with one you won't have a 100% safety.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

There is indeed some sense in there. Internet and such does noticably increase the ability to post stuff that makes you 'seem' like famous (in your own mind that is, sometimes in others' aswell).

"why didn't anybody do anything! This guy clearly had issues!"

As true as it is, considering that all these "no-one loves me" syndromes and all more or less noticable adolescent stuff are just your average norm, anyone who stands out from those more or less are either getting picked or regarded as completely ****ed up psychos. Even acting as semi-reasonable while the rest make even special people (or retards if we say it frankly, not in an offensive manner) look like Einsteins, is one of example.

And sometimes the cause can be something very odd. I have been regarded as complete gay because I know how to use thread and a needle and sew things together. So... obviously anyone who has that ability and is not a woman, is either ultimate gayfag or potential school shooter. Pick your poison :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I take it you don't have any experiance with shrinks and crazy people Murphy, because all your assumptions are very wrong, it doesen't work like that at all.

Hauled off to a nuthouse? not in a million years, you have to be full blown psychotic for them to do that, what would happen is that they would be sent to the school shrink's office and he would do a quick analysis by asking some key questions, based on the answers he gets (and how they are answered), he would either conclude there is nothing wrong, or that there is reason to shedule more sessions, and durring the course of more sessions, he will decide on a course of action if one is needed.

Also, your bullet points, all except one of them are totally irrelivant, wearing black clothes and watching action movies is perfectly normal for a teenage boy, as is experimenting with hairstyles, beeing interested in "cool" things like fast cars, guns the military or the police force, beeing a sarcastic smart mouth etc etc, there's nothing deviant about any of that, and no shrink would bother with you for any of it, all thease are things people have ignorant prejudices about, they are not things a real shrink would care about, or tell teachers to be on the look-out for.

The only one that can potentially raise a red flag there is scribbling violent things, which might have landed you at the shrinks office for a quick consultation, but your reasons for doing it does not cause any reason for alarm and thus you would quickly be dismissed.

Mind you, i am not by any means suggesting that teachers should be doing anything here, they are not licensed Psychologists and they should not by any means start acting like they are (which would also be a crime by the way, its Quack'ing), all of this is something teachers can allready do, teachers can allready send the kids to see the school nurse or the school shrink, its nothing new, BUT, problem is, they don't know the first thing about it, they don't know when a kid should be sent to see the school shrink to see if something might be wrong, they have no clue what the real warning signs are, and THAT is what i'd like to see changed, i'd like for them to be armed with some basic knowledge that can help them determine if there's a real reason for alarm or not.

Hell knows they are not doing a good job of it right now, and havent been, i actually suffered from Clinical depression when i went to school, and if it wasen't for the fact that i had great parents, i'm not sure what i could have turned out as, between my state of emotional numbness and the anger issues i had, i could have become a real monster, i used to hand in papers written in my own blood, and cut myself in class, such obvious signs that something is very very wrong, and my teachers did nothing (they didn't even inform my parents, much delaying the time it took for me to get help), they just told me it was gross and that i should stop doing it.. how's that for dropping the ball!?

And yes, i know what i proppose would not stop 100% of school shootings, chances are that incompetence would rear its ugly head and it can still happen, but if it prevents even a meager 30% of them, then thats a damn sight better than doing nothing, woulden't you agree?

Upvote 0
I know nobody would have sent us to a nut-house. We have been rightfully ignored. I was just saying that it's hard to pick out the rotten apples from a group of teenagers who all appear more or less nuts.
Sure, a trained psychiatrist could spot the difference if he/she were to observe us for a while but psychiatrist can't surveille every student and teachers (who can) can't be teachers and psychiatrists simultaneously.

what would happen is that they would be sent to the school shrink's office
We didn't even have a school psychiatrist back then! We had a special elected trusted teacher (elected by the teachers btw...) who you could go to if you felt you had problems. Problem is, people with problems like that don't go out and seek help. If they did they would probably get it. At any point in time since the 70s. People like that have to be adressed actively. Passively waiting for them to seek help doesn't work.
This trusted teacher is good to talk to if you want advice for comparably small things, like how to react in certain situations. You know, leaching onto the bigger life experience of an older person who isn't your mom. They are simply not trained for any more serious problems.

Also, your bullet points, all except one of them are totally irrelivant,
Those are all things that are talked about afterwards though! That's what the afternoon-tv schooled wanna-be psychiatrists pick on so that's what polititians who depend on their vote are going to pick on.
How often have you heard or read that the columbine shooters wore black coats and sunglasses, listened to heavy metal and played Doom? Right.

they have no clue what the real warning signs are
That's what I was trying to get at.
Our points are converging.:)

how's that for dropping the ball!?
That's pretty darn stark, man. I know there is a rather big threshold before people react in any way beyond labeling you an attention whore but I think you crossed the line by some margin there already.
No offense intended, Grobut, but if they didn't send you to that shrink you had at your school, they probably sent nobody.

And yes, i know what i proppose would not stop 100% of school shootings, chances are that incompetence would rear its ugly head and it can still happen, but if it prevents even a meager 30% of them, then thats a damn sight better than doing nothing, woulden't you agree?
What exactly is it you are proposing that isn't already at least WIP, though?
We already have trusted teachers at almost every school who can help with little things or advise you to go to the school shrink. We are beginning to get school shrinks at almost every school and they can pass you on to a clinic if they can't handle you. The only weak-spot that is still open (besides incompetence) is on the level below the trusted teacher. Teachers (or friends or parents) have to spot and identify the problem and send people to that shrink.
Unfortunately, as we established above, regular people aren't trained to differenciate between the seemingly sick and the actual sick and there is almost nothing that can be done about it. The current media coverage is counter productive in this regard, as pointed out above as well.

Sensitivity is the key point here, but even that is a double edged sword! As an analogy, look at the PC crowd! Do you take them serious? I don't. I'm actually very anti PC in daily life. On the whole I think the movement is great but when it hit the common stupid people (the demographic is HAS to hit to be effective as most intellectuals don't throw the n-word around anyway) it exploded in a cloud of stupidity!
Now white people complain that a movie is racist if there is no black guy in it....
People are getting more sensitive already, but once it reaches the point we need it to reach so normal people are able to identify psychological issues I fear that the stupid people are so overdoing this that every credibility is lost again.
It's already happening with ADD and dyslexia! It was a great step to identify those are illnesses and raise sensitivity among the people, but now every stupid kid that is too lazy to learn to write properly gets a certificate for dyslexia and every hyperactive kid who can't sit still gets a certificate for ADD.

What has to be done in my opinion is not to have everybody bother each-other and send each-other off to shrinks over the smallest issues.
What has to be done is to eliminate the taboo that is associated with psychiatry. No one is ashamed to go to the doctor if their stomac hurts, but if they are cutting themselves or seeing oompa loompas dance they won't go to a shrink because they don't want to be labeled "nuts". Neither by others nor by themselves.
People have to get through their skulls that a psychological sickness i no different from a physical sickness. Something doesn't feel right, you consolut a doctor. Period.
Unfortunately that's easier said than done, because even if you are as reasonable about that yourself there is still the social stigma to consider. Especially if you are a mobbing victim in the first place.

It won't be easy, but in my opinion this is what we, as a society, have to work on and as much as it hurts me to say it, I think this is a part of the PC crowd's job.

Upvote 0
I still don't think you quite get my point here, the point is NOT to turn teachers into shrinks, as this is neither possible or desireable, but to give them a some basic things to look out for:

Cutting, this is not normal behaviour, this kid is obviously hurting inside, thats a red flag.

Handing in a paper written in blood, red flag.

Seeking solitude, not normal, humans are social creatures and seeking solitude is not a sign of mental health, red flag, but can also be the result of getting relentlessly bullied (but that should be handled too, as it can lead to much worse problems later).

Reacting to small things with disproportionate anger or hostility, not normal, red flag.

Extreme weight loss or weight gain, red flag.

Anxiety over personal contact, red flag.

Emotional numbness, chronic joyless and apathetic outlook and interaction with others, red flag.

Extreme and sudden mood swings, red flag.

Chronic violent and threatening behaviour, somethings wrong to cause a kid to act out like this, often its trouble at home, red flag.

A fixation on violence that seems excessive, possible red flag, pay more attention to this one and look out for other red flags.

And the list could go on, thease are all things that should be payed attention to (my list is crudely outlined, obviously a propper one should go into much greater detail), a kid doing any of this has problems and should be helped in some way, it may turn out to be something pretty ordinary like a bully problem or the parents are getting divorced (but thats no reason why they shoulden't get a helping hand anyway), or it may be something very serious.

Surely we can agree that a person responsible for children, who has them in their care for several houers every day, should know such basic things, at the very least, they should have something where they can look it up, and see if this is something they should be worried about or not, yeah?

Well thats all i am proposing, that teachers have access to such basic knowledge, that they can atleast spot a textbook example like this, that they can look it up if nothing else, no less and no more, and then a real Psychologist, who is trained to deal with this stuff can take over if there is infact cause for alarm.

Upvote 0
Of course we can agree on that, but that's not really rocket-science, is it. I would imagine that if you asked any teacher who isn't too dim to be able to do his job, he or she would know that those are signs of trouble.
Even if they don't want to send such students off to the shrink right away, I'm sure they mention such things at those regular dates when parents visit the school and get a little time with their children's teachers. I'm not even talking about the teacher's office hour, because some parents just won't visit those, but at those universal office hours for everyone (I have no idea what they are called in English) most parents go there.

Teachers don't even need a crash-course for this. I mean, it wouldn't hurt if they took one, obviously, but I don't think this would bring a huge improvement.
As for the opportunity to look those things up: In order to become a teacher they have to study a few years at university and if there is anything worthwhile that is to be learned there it's how to read stuff up.

So I don't think ignorance is the problem.

The problem, in my opinion, is that people act against what they know, be it intentional or sub-conscious, because psychiatry is reserved for nutjobs in many people's minds. "I'm just sad. Not crazy. If no one loves me it's their fault. It isn't all just in my mind". "Yeah, I saw someone who wasn't there, but I was just tired from working in front of that crappy CRT all day. I'm not crazy". "Our son may have a little temperament, but that don't make him crazy, does it?"
Well, it just might, darnit!
Regular people just consult a psychiatrist if they are either that nuts they fit their own mental image of a nutjob or if they are pushed to consult one by other people. In America society seems to be quite a few steps ahead when it comes to this. It isn't that uncommon for someone to have regular sessions with a psychiatrist/psychologist there as it is in Germany. It could still be better in either case, but in Germany this is really an issue, in my opinion.
An issue that may or may not have directly or indirectly lead to the killing sprees, but still an issue.

Upvote 0
Actually, many teachers apparently are that ignorant about thease things, all of mine certainly where, and this on 3 sepperate schools i went to, hence i think its a good starting point, if we can atleast get this part of the equation to work somewhat well, then we've gotten somewhere twords dealing with the problem, and that beats doing nothing by miles.

Also, talking with the parents may not work at all, its worth a shot, but the parents could be the source of the problem to begin with, not all parents are good parents, you can find some real monsters amongst their ranks too, so it should not be the only option that is considdered by any means, only the starting point.

Other than that, we largely agree, society really needs to get its head out of its arse when it comes to psychology, it should not be taboo, nothing good comes of taboo's.

Upvote 0