• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rainbow Six 3 Gold on Steam

A little off topic....

Just installed the original Ghost Recon (2001).
Its the last Tom Clancy game that I bought.

Can't put it down, very intense.
Worked straight outa da box and patched up to 1.4.

It came out at the same time as OFP +or- so got a little lost in the fog.

It has that R6 touch that was lost in later R6 games.

I like, so therefor recommend.

Upvote 0
Dunno why you guys always made such a fuzz about this game I think it is average (at least the Single Player).

First of all the graphics are horrible :eek: And the AI is so random at times, sometimes I take out three guys and they didn't shoot and at me other times I get pistol killed despite the fact I am wearing the heaviest armor avaiable :(

Also the accuracy differences between the M4 and the M16A2 are a bit exxagerated, also I miss iron sights :rolleyes:

Why are my AI teammates so slow I tell them to open a door and throw a nade but what happens? They see an enemy and take him down, fine but what about the nade? OBEY MY ORDERS.
They always expose themselves to the enemies when they open doors :/

Are these high tech tools getting useful later on? Like the heartbeat sensor. I think those are crap.

And btw do incapacitated teammembers recover during the campaign? They get wounded but are ready for action in later missions again?

MP was fine I guess.

In conclusion: I probably will install SWAT4 again :eek:

EDIT: Also the controls and the overall desgin could be better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The premise is that the weapons are shouldered all the time and you don't aim them manually, so to speak, but the character you play automatically aims them whenever he can (ie when he isn't running). This is represented by the crosshairs moving together. The first-person weapon model doesn't reflect any of this, unfortunately. It doesn't sway a lot when you run or you're hurt, it doesn't get lowered when you open doors etc., but the game still works as if the gun would do all that and the third person animations match.
If you don't care about details like that you can enable the first person weapon models. Just remember that they are just there so fans of traditional shooters aren't put off by the game (how often have you read about people complaining about the old R6 or GR titles for not having 1st person weapon models?) and they don't really show what is really going on with the gun.
If you do care about the details you can disable them. You get more detailed crosshairs then (different ones for pistols and main weapons, etc.) and in my opinions it's more immersive not to see the weapon and assume the character does with it what your crosshair indicates but you aren't looking at it, than to see the weapon perfectly steady somewhere at the waist while the crosshairs go nuts.

Just a matter of preference.

There is a mod that adds 2d iron-sights though. Nothing special. It just displays 2d iron sight sprites if you press the zoom button and it disables the crosshairs. As simple as it may be, it changes how the game is played a lot and the atmosphere is very different. Definately interesting to see such a small change have so much impact. Check it out if you have time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Murphy actually hits it right on the spot, that is what i was always thinking when playing the first Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, or Ghost Recon:)
Never tried disabling the first person weapons in Raven Shield though, i'm gonna go and give it a try. Your talk about different crosshairs have made me curious.:p

i used to disable weapon in mp adversaial as it part blocks the view - however you get a pretty large blocky version of the orgional R6 x- hair iirc.
and Kettch - certainly in mp, be it co-op or vs modes this game was and still is all that.

Upvote 0
Ok, so i disabled the first person weapons. Suffice to say, i will never put them back on again :p
Not only is the imagination back that the weapon is doing what the character looks to be doing in third person and it feels less static, it also brings back the oldschool memories of the first Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear because Raven Shield now uses the old crosshairs for SMG's, LMG's, Assault rifles etc. that the first 2 games used to use. I still play those too, but that's not the point :p

And for some reason, the weapons now feel a lot more precise then with the default crosshair RvS has with the first person models on.:p

Upvote 0
Dunno why you guys always made such a fuzz about this game I think it is average (at least the Single Player).

First of all the graphics are horrible :eek: And the AI is so random at times, sometimes I take out three guys and they didn't shoot and at me other times I get pistol killed despite the fact I am wearing the heaviest armor avaiable :(

Also the accuracy differences between the M4 and the M16A2 are a bit exxagerated, also I miss iron sights :rolleyes:

Why are my AI teammates so slowAre these high tech tools getting useful later on? Like the heartbeat sensor. I think those are crap. I tell them to open a door and throw a nade but what happens? They see an enemy and take him down, fine but what about the nade? OBEY MY ORDERS.
They always expose themselves to the enemies when they open doors :/

And btw do incapacitated teammembers recover during the campaign? They get wounded but are ready for action in later missions again?

MP was fine I guess.

In conclusion: I probably will install SWAT4 again :eek:

EDIT: Also the controls and the overall desgin could be better.
What do you expect? It's a 6 year old game of course the graphics aren't going to be as good, but they were good for the time. The AI has issues sometimes they can be uber or stupid sometimes. The heartbeat sensors are useful but I like going to servers that disable them because they aren't used in real life.

Upvote 0
The graphics weren't that hot when it came out either. Just typical mediocre UnrealEngine 2 fare, for what it's worth.

@JoshuaC: What gfx card do you have?

ATi 4850.

For a Unreal 2 game it looks pretty standard. Also with classic games you usually look at the gameplay rather than the graphics which sadly have taken priority nowadays.

Upvote 0