• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design new to unrealED, need a few things cleared up !

shadowwill

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
hey there, well i just bought all the unreals and ive finally decided that id like to start level design for unreal 2k4 unreal 3 and of course RO. Im finding it hard to get used to the editor, being a hammer level designer ive found it quite difficult so it would be great if someone could help me out with a few things.

heres my list of questions:

1. once you have made a brush, is it possible to resize it? i have to edit un-do if i dont like it

2. are you able to delete brushes?

3. do skyboxes work in similar ways to that of the source engine ?

4. clipping brushes, how on earth do you do it ? i select the took but i cant get it to do anything !

5. same with clipping faces, no idea how to do it.

6. texture application, tips on making it a faster process ? in hammer you are able to select a face with a texture on, then hold ALT and push right click to copy the exact same texture with the scales onto a different face, ive read this is possible with unrealED but ive done it once but cant get it to do it again, whats the proper way to do this ?

7. how do i manipulate vertexes?

I hope some of you will be able to help me out with this, it would be most appreciated, Thanks much !

1. once you have made a brush, is it possible to resize it? i have to edit un-do if i dont like it
Yes and no you can vertex edit your brush but sooner or late this will give you graphics bugs, so it is better to delete the brush and redo it.

2. are you able to delete brushes?
Just select the brush in the 2D viewport and hit the delete key (over the arrow keys, on your keyboard)

3. do skyboxes work in similar ways to that of the source engine ?
No idea how they work in source

4. clipping brushes, how on earth do you do it ? i select the took but i cant get it to do anything !
No idea about this but do a google search

5. same with clipping faces, no idea how to do it.
see above

6. texture application, tips on making it a faster process ? in hammer you are able to select a face with a texture on, then hold ALT and push right click to copy the exact same texture with the scales onto a different face, ive read this is possible with unrealED but ive done it once but cant get it to do it again, whats the proper way to do this ?
Should be something like that, but no real idea

7. how do i manipulate vertexes?
Change to vertex editing mode (in the left tool bar) but vertex edting can cause HoM (graphic bugs)

Check out these tutorials and also make a 3DBuzz account and watch the video tutorials
http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tutorials/tutorials.htm

Upvote 0
Here is a list of mainly newbie-oriented tutorials (shameless self-advertisement). A vertex editing tutorial will be up soon as well.
http://liandri.darkbb.com/unrealengine-2-f11/tutorials-for-unrealengine-2-t27.htm
Feel free to use that forum if you have questions concerning our beloved UnrealEd and I'll try to help you as fast as possible. There is almost no activity in there but I'm still checking it often and if there is a question I will fly to the rescue. :p You can even request a tutorial and the chances are very good that I'll write one (everyone else is welcome too, of course).

Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask here as well! Just throwing out options.;)

EDIT: Added a vertex editing tutorial. You can read it here:
Click me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sweet ill create an account on that later. The unreal Ed has impressed me at all so far, having worked with hammer and cursing it so much for being so bad, i take back some of the things i said about it, its so much easier to use than unrealED, ive heard people saying unrelED is way better and more user friendly, i fail to understand that. But ill keep trying, hopefully it will become easier as i go on, but so far hammer has been easier to use and is much more newbie friendly.

Upvote 0
I guess the editor you start with is the one you feel is newbie-friendlier as long as they are both somewhat newbie-friendly. Changing to another editor you expect a sort of instant-mastery because you know how to make levels after all... But the new editor bumps you back to newbie-town. This is frustrating, but not for long.
As soon as you are over that stage where you have to ask seemingly embarassing questions (nothing embarassing about them, really) about basics it gets better and better.

Upvote 0
yeah i see what you mean, but after 4 years of level design and 3d modelling, you expect to find new programs to be fairly easy to get along with. what i dont like about unrealED is if you make a mistake on the brush, you have to start over again instead of undo, undo doesnt do a thing i swear, even when i re-build geometry it doesnt undo. and texturing is also a real pain the arse, lame alignment options and what the hell is with having to open 'packages' instead of just being able to browse them!

but again i do hope become more accustomed to it.

Upvote 0
Undo works fine for me. I can undo selections, clippings, movements of the whole brush or vertices of it, etc. Basically everything. In the 2d viewports or the wireframe view the changes are instantly visible but as brushes aren't rendered in real-time you have to rebuild to have the actual 3d object change as well.

The only thing that bothers me about the undo function is that it seems to have a habbit of crashing UEd if you undo too many steps. Maybe if you undo back into what happened before it auto-saved? I don't know, it just seems a bit crash-happy if I undo too many steps.:)

There is an external tool - the utxgaffer - that lets you browse UT2004 texture packages. Get it here. I don't know if it's compatible with RO though but it may be worth a try.

Upvote 0