• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Steam ripping europeans off with 1€=1$ conversion

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
The title says it all, it seems that Steam now found a way to rip us europeans off even more, now buying their games is far more expensive than buying it retail from shops if you sum the taxes, and you dont get the physical things, so they are actually saving even more, I'll never buy another game from them, at least until they go back to the old system.

btw, there is a steam group against it, feel free to join and invite your friends:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1e1us

Perhaps a bit of good news, if I'm reading this correctly:

"Products on Steam are now priced using local currency in the United Kingdom (Pounds Sterling), and Europe (Euros). All other countries remain in United States Dollars."

Not, perfect, but, again if I'm reading it correctly, at least Euro-using nations won't be getting screwed anymore.

Upvote 0
Perhaps a bit of good news, if I'm reading this correctly:

"Products on Steam are now priced using local currency in the United Kingdom (Pounds Sterling), and Europe (Euros). All other countries remain in United States Dollars."

Not, perfect, but, again if I'm reading it correctly, at least Euro-using nations won't be getting screwed anymore.

Not getting screwed with tax as much yes, as your not paying $ price plus your countrys tax , but possibly getting screwed (especially for the €) with steam's odd exchange rates and some publishers just charging more out of the US for some reason.

Though come to think of it I wouldnt call them exchange rates and more of 'steams special conversion costing' as some of it is quite random.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why am I not surprised :eek:.

I work at an international company and I know my colleagues from the US always talk about "eurodollars"

we joke about it, but this is not a joke anymore.

Steam should realize that a dollar is not a euro and there is no such thing as eurodollars.

I have bought my last game over steam, (a week ago) but no way I will buy another again untill they fix this

Upvote 0
Yup, its back to getting our games via snail mail from the UK it would seem.

The whole point about Steam, as it was sold to us back in the day was that we would be skipping the middle man and getting it cheaper, and till today, even with the VAT and all that BS, it actually was, atleast for us Danes, but now, its the same price or actually more expensive than retail, and we don't get a Disc or a nice box to go with it, whats the point then? i'll buy it in retail instead, and from the UK no less because i can save money there, having a physical copy transported in from another country is actually cheaper than "skipping the middle man" and digital distro :rolleyes:

You also have to love their news update:
Products on Steam are now priced using local currency in the United Kingdom (Pounds Sterling), and Europe (Euros). All other countries remain in United States Dollars.

Since when has Denmark used Euro's? according to this, shoulden't i still be getting the prices in USD because my country uses neither the Pound or the Euro? you'd think so, but i see

Upvote 0
Sorry then :(. Was hopeful that would take care of the issue.

Dont be, Ive saved quite a few quid thanks to this localisation and at least for the Brits its fairly fair, it aint perfect but at least it is some sort of step forward.

@Switchblade and our (UK's) punishment for saying no is having a currency that is almost a third as valuable as 5-6 years ago :( was

Last edited:
Upvote 0