• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is funny right now I am in the middle of Infantry Aces and it's very good. They show plenty of different soldiers, units, and backgrounds in it. I finished another one a few weeks back "In Deadly Combat" and that was good as well. My favorite is still "The Forgotten Soldier" though by Guy Sajer even if there is some speculation with that one.

Upvote 0
"Fighting in Hell" edited by Peter Tsouras is pretty good, it's specifically about the Germans on the East Front, with each excerpt written by German veteran officers

This one is a selection of a few of the "German Report Series" pamphlets produced by captured officers for the U.S. Army Historical Division. Tsouras focuses on contributions by Raus.

Some interesting facts about this project: while it was initially tasked to provide the U.S. Army with a history of the war from the German side, its purpose soon changed with the start of the Cold War. Many of the pamphlets now became manuals on "How to stop the Red tide": what the U.S. Army could learn from the German experience. The titles of many chapters in "Fighting in Hell" already reflect this shift.

Gen. Franz Halder was in charge of the project, and himself wrote many articles. In fact, he was asked to provide an analysis of a U.S. Army Field Manual (US Field Manual 100-5). This led to a greater emphasis of concepts such as mobile defense by armor into subsequent editions (nuclear weapons later made these tactics less relevant).

In 1961, Halder was awarded the U.S. Meritorious Civilian Service Medal by JFK.

Another pamphlet in the German Report Series which is available online, but which has not often been referred to:

The German Defense of Berlin - by Wilhelm Willemar, Oberst a.D.

Upvote 0