• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My next cinematic Red Orchestra movie...

Hello all! Many if not most of you have seen my cinematic Red Orchestra movies on Youtube and I just wanted to let everyone know that I have started brain storming for the next one. I hope you've enjoyed them and I hope to still have time to continue making them for you all. In case you missed them, you can check my sig. The best one by far is Red Orchestra: Overture to War.

I figure I'll let the community join in on the brain storming for my next one. The only thing I'll stay mum about is that I DO have the music picked out... and it's very Russian-y. I've got other ideas churning but I'm open to suggestions.

That said, I do have a few concerns. First, it's going to be mighty challenging now with the number of maps out there that servers are running. My movies rely on being able to film on the same map repeated times since they are unscripted in nature. Also, I hope that there are enough people out there to even care if I put the work into making another one.

I don't want to switch games because, frankly, I can't think of a better game to use. Your ideas are welcome and thanks for your support!

Hockeywarrior

Use the TWB map predictor if you are 'taping' certain maps on the TWB servers (don't know how that works or if allowed!).

On loaded servers, the sequence of maps and when they are in play is surprisingly accurate.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29030

Also, my brainstorm is to end the video on the fruitlessness of all of it and pan in to the bodies. The exposed bones and squirting blood when a leg is blown off is pretty well done. Also, the doll mechanics are awesome when you shoot someone in a hallway, they slump slowly to the floor with the blood smear on the wall.

I'm still amazed at the details they put in this game that may be considered so small that adds so much to the realism. Even though the graphics engine may be dated and not as good as console games, it's still good enough in my book.

The other effect I like is the T34 rocking back and forth when it fires in Konigsplatz while resting on uneven ground as well as the light effect at the end of the T34 MG as it fires at the German infantry pouring over the Siege'

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I'm still amazed at the details they put in this game that may be considered so small that adds so much to the realism. Even though the graphics engine may be dated and not as good as console games, it's still good enough in my book.

The other effect I like is the T34 rocking back and forth when it fires in Konigsplatz while resting on uneven ground as well as the light effect at the end of the T34 MG as it fires at the German infantry pouring over the Siege'

Good luck!
These details are the reason that I love to use Red Orchestra... everything from the 3rd person animations to the explosions. Thanks for some ideas!

The reason I'm probably not going to use Darkest Hour like originally planned is the lack of player numbers. It's hard enough to find a suitable RO server running the map I want, let alone a mod of the same game that has even less players and just as many maps.

Upvote 0
Another suggestion: almost all RO videos are simply "music videos". While many - such as yours particularly - are good, I cannot recall seeing any RO video where there are voice actors or even narration. A good story or dialog can make all the difference even if the visuals are not always such (imo e.g. Red vs. Blue).

So to add to the music, my suggestion is to have someone with a dramatic or powerful voice read appropriate excerpts from for example a book like Guy Sajer's "Forgotten Soldier" - passages that suit the visuals.

Or even if it is your own story ... ;)

Upvote 0
do you concider making a movie in DH? we are testing a map on wich in real life a propaganda movie was made during the battle. and since the map is a 1:1 representation of the real village, you can find back the same places and shoot the same images while our testers could reenact the scenes from the propaganda movie?
that could be quite spectacular

the footage from 1:37 to 3:00 is from the map, plus a few other snaps here and there in the video

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYLo2bJhAnE

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
do you concider making a movie in DH? we are testing a map on wich in real life a propaganda movie was made during the battle. and since the map is a 1:1 representation of the real village, you can find back the same places and shoot the same images while our testers could reenact the scenes from the propaganda movie?
that could be quite spectacular

the footage from 1:37 to 3:00 is from the map, plus a few other snaps here and there in the video

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYLo2bJhAnE
This sounds like it could be fun! Is the map already finished and have you organized your members for making the propaganda movie? Also, will the map be released to the general public soon?

I don't really use X Fire but my Steam ID is hockeywarrior in case you want to contact me. We can at least talk about possibilities.

And regarding narration, I agree. Music with action scenes can be quite stale at times. The next movie I make has to stand out from the crowd as well as the others that I have done. We'll see what happens... I probably wont start working on it until after X mas so I've got plenty of time to come up with ideas.

Upvote 0