• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Newbie has some more questions...

stug4

Dec 3, 2008
Hey All:

A few questions for you:

1) How is the scoring calcualted, the kills and what is ping??

2) Why is it today when I was using an MG42, guys kept coming up to me and giving me ammo?

3) It's my understanding that VAC servers, mean that the servers are cheat proof! Is that really so or can people still cheat? The reason I ask is because somebody shot me from a very long, long distance away so fast that I couldn't believe it, it was almost as if he didn't have to aim...

As always thanks for your responses!!

Thanks
Matt

2. That is good they gave you ammo. They get a point when they do that plus keep you filled up with ammo in the process. You can also do that to anyone when you get close enough. I believe the default key for that is "G". It's good that you had people to keep you stocked up the MG42 can blast through some rounds very quickly.

3. I have never run into a cheater before that I noticed, but I am sure it happens. I doubt that was a cheater that shot you though some people get VERY GOOD with the rifles. I played that class most of the time when I could not get an MG and let me tell you after a while I even shot people through smoke sometimes keeping them lined up:D

So are you enjoying it so far? I know it took me a few days when it first came out to get used to things. My first map was Barashka and I kept getting killed my artillery:eek:

Upvote 0
1. Scoring is 1 point per kill, 10 points per capture, 5 points for resupplying a machine-gunner. I seem to recall officers being worth more points per kill, but I don't remember.

Ping is a measure of the time it takes for a signal to make it from your computer to the server, and vice versa, measured in milliseconds (thousandths of a second). That is, if you had a ping of 1000, that would mean that there was a 1-second delay between you firing on your computer and the server registering you firing. Since an overly long delay can lead to gameplay problems, a lower ping is better. RO is generally playable up to a ping of 200 or so. Other games such as counterstrike are more sensitive to higher pings.

2. In real life, machineguns worked in teams, with one person operating the gun itself and others supplying him with ammo. In RO, every infantryman has an extra clip or belt of ammo he can give to a machine-gunner to approximate this. Since an MG can chew through ammo so quickly, frequent resupply is necessary.

3. While cheating is possible, it is very rare in RO. VAC sercured servers keep cheaters out and detect cheating programs. The guy who shot you was probably just very skilled. People who have played RO for a long time are able to hit small at very long ranges, with a little luck. Give them a scope, and they are even deadlier.

Upvote 0
Scoring:

Capturing an objective: 10 Points
Resupply a Machine Gunner: 5 Points
Killing a Enemy Squad Leader: 3 Points(I think)
Killing an Enemy(Non SL): 1 Point
Friendly Fire: Subtracts Points

Ping basically shows how fast your connection is between your PC and the server. The lower the ping, The less lag you will encounter in game.

Cheaters are not common.( I have seen a couple of players that I know used some sort of programs, but cheating is very uncommon in this game. Many players have played this game a long time, and many can "hipshoot" a bolt action rifle from a distance and hit their target or aim from a long distance and land shots, "Practice makes perfect".

Happy Fragging & Welcome to RO

Upvote 0
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the answers! As far as am I enjoyiing it...I think that is probably the most incredibly detailed awesome WWII game I've ever played. Even though I'm lousy at it...LOL! The rifles are very hard to work with I think, and the maps tend to be really large, so it is kind of hard to remember where to go all the time.

When you are playing with two teams that really know what they are doing it is extremely realistic. I like both RO and DH, I just wish DH had more servers, it seems like only 2 of them are active. The rest of them are all bots and usually only have one or two people in them.

The variety of German uniforms and detail on the tanks in DH is amazing. I am a German uniform and tank fanatic, and they did a great job representing the different camoflouges - splinter, pea pattern etc, etc...

Thanks again for your responses :)

Matt

Upvote 0
Hey Guys:

Thanks for the answers! As far as am I enjoyiing it...I think that is probably the most incredibly detailed awesome WWII game I've ever played. Even though I'm lousy at it...LOL! The rifles are very hard to work with I think, and the maps tend to be really large, so it is kind of hard to remember where to go all the time.

When you are playing with two teams that really know what they are doing it is extremely realistic. I like both RO and DH, I just wish DH had more servers, it seems like only 2 of them are active. The rest of them are all bots and usually only have one or two people in them.

The variety of German uniforms and detail on the tanks in DH is amazing. I am a German uniform and tank fanatic, and they did a great job representing the different camoflouges - splinter, pea pattern etc, etc...

Thanks again for your responses :)

Matt

Those large maps can be daunting to learn at first, but after a few weeks you will know them all quite easily until you find a new custom and have to learn another one all over again:D When I first started the maps seemed quite large as well, but then it makes you feel like an actual battlefield and not some tiny map like you find in other shooters.
At least with the empty servers you can learn those maps and try all the weapons and armor that can be used even if the bots are more than stupid.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah...another thing I *forgot* to ask - how do you shoot a bazooka???? LOL :D

Thanks,
Matt

Basically, the tip of the Panzerfaust warhead acts as the front "sight". To aim, line up the tip inside of the hole corresponding to the distance using the "F" key to toggle between the three settings, 30m, 60m, and 80m. Then fire, and get the hell out of wherever you are. The effective distance is about 60m - 80m, though I've seen kills at much farther ranges than that.

-tsoor

Upvote 0
Killing your teammates means doubled negative score when compared to enemy kills. That means -6 for killing your own squad leader (done that...) and -2 for others. The penalty for killing yourself is -1.

Note - if you get hit by random artillery (as opposed to artillery called in by a player), it is considered "killing yourself" for scoring purposes. Why, I have no idea. You'll find random artillery on Stalingrad Kessel, and a few other maps.

Upvote 0
Those large maps can be daunting to learn at first, but after a few weeks you will know them all quite easily until you find a new custom and have to learn another one all over again:D When I first started the maps seemed quite large as well, but then it makes you feel like an actual battlefield and not some tiny map like you find in other shooters.
At least with the empty servers you can learn those maps and try all the weapons and armor that can be used even if the bots are more than stupid.

And if you play long enough, as i did, you may even grow tired of some maps and WANT to play a custom map (IF it's a good custom), to feel RO all fresh again. But there are some really great stock maps available.

Upvote 0
And if you play long enough, as i did, you may even grow tired of some maps and WANT to play a custom map (IF it's a good custom), to feel RO all fresh again. But there are some really great stock maps available.

Yea there are a few stock maps I could forget, but still almost all of them are excellent.
I like playing the custom stuff because it's nice to customs. Sadly last time I had a chance to play months ago it was a lot of 24/7 servers :( cough cough Danzig 24/7 Arad 24/7

Upvote 0
Hey Guys:

Matt

You'll soon get to know the rifles well, they are the best gun in game for accuracy and hitting at distance.

As for not knowing where to go, your map is your best friend. Change your map key so it's easy to reach and check it often, check it every time you spawn. The cap points that are able to be taken are darker, they are flashing if currently in conflict. The capzones you need to get to for either defense or capture changes often very quickly and you're the best help to your team if you check that often and go where you are needed.

Have to remember the entire objective is to get your body into a capzone to either defend it or take it. The guns just help you and your team do that. That is why the scoring system is set up the way it is.

Upvote 0
Like yourself, I'm fairly new to RO, and enjoy it a lot. A little historical background makes it more interesting, here's a link to a good site with a wealth of information...http://www.feldgrau.com/ I found it easier to stay alive on the RO battlefield by remembering you're part of a team. It helps to communicate and stick together to achieve the objective. Hope to kill you soon! Blackie88

Upvote 0
Bazookas are different than the panzerfaust. You ONLY get one shot but your team can resupply you in the same way you can a machine gunner and they can give you ONLY one reload unless they themselves return to a supply point, this holds true for machine gunners too or unless you die then you can resupply one time again.

The bazooka though has to be reloaded with you kneeling or crouching as the game calls it, and the guy has to be behind you and uses his USE key to give you another shot. Now if you need to reload you have to find a supply point or if you have that keeps going back to a supply point then rejoins you he can then reload you again but ONLY one time again until he resupplies himself.

Now as the points go you can be a real POINT WHORE by doing what I mentioned above both for the bazooka reloader or a machine gunners reloader. You get 5 points for resupply so it can add up quick.

Now the points that most count are for caps, you receive 10 for those and this is where the game is really won if you have good cappers. As Slyder said the weapons are just to keep the enemies at bay but capping is where it's really at. This is where you'll see guys with a single shot rifle with several hundread points and wonder how they got that many, it's usually due to going cap crazy or resupply crazy with the rest from actually killing. I try to split my points 50/50 but I am ALWAYS in the cap and I'll ONLY ever use a bolt action...

Slavek: Gave the proper scoring scheme for RO in general and I think all the mods have the same scoring system (Unchanged between them).

We over at 2Mannys are trying to fill up our server which is now a DH server and sure there are bots but as people join the bots are removed one for one. If an admin is present which they are usually looking in or will join when folks are on, they will remove them entirely.

This holds true for most all servers, so keep that in mind, and once you get say 10 people in a server, before you know it, there will be 20, then 30, then 40, it's the nature of the beast.

You need to find the best PINGING servers and keep them full and make one your own in a sense, then you'll begin to know players by name and skill and learn from them. So all you DH fans get your butts over to 2Mannys and fill it up for some good, clean, skilled, and mature play...

The key is finding a good PINGING server the LOWER the PING the better, it equals less LAG to NO LAG the LOWER the PING. LAG is a gamers worse enemy, it will cause you to miss what you think is a dead on shot, players will warp or shoot across the screen or even skip around. So find a good server and invite your friends and before you know it the server will become home to you... LOL

Happy hunting.

Upvote 0