• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grand Theft Auto IV - Mega Thread - Potential SPOILERS

So we can conclude that GTAIV on PC failed?

Yes and no. It suffers from a real bad case of Portitis (-->bad console port). The performance is bad and the idea to restict the settings by the VRAM your graphic card has is just stupid, also the controls could be better and so could be the menus (you have to start SP in order to play MP). And of course the copy protection is a pita but I can live with that because it doesn't restirct me in any way.

On the bright side it is a good GTA nothing really new but still good. The mp3 radio and the mouse controls justify the PC version for me because I never would get a console ... ever! Its a bad port but consoles suck even more.

Upvote 0
And we have to wait for Microsoft to certify it. :rolleyes:

Kudos to R* for getting things fixed so soon, though.

The game itself runs pretty well with my rig (e7200, ATI 4850, 4GB DDR2), but the graphics look really bad. Jaggy edges everywhere and lovely bloom to top it all. Definiton toggle helps a bit with the rough edges, but it would be nice to be able to switch off the bloom.

gtaiv2008120820140892pn1.jpg

gtaiv2008120818211185yh6.jpg

gtaiv2008120818524057ad7.jpg

gtaiv2008120818134350ni9.jpg

Btw Kettch, you could try this if you want to get the norestrictions command line to work:

1. Create a shortcut for LaunchGTAIV.exe

2. Add -nomemrestrict -norestrictions to the command line

3. Sign in to R* Social Club

4. Start the game from the LaunchGTAIV shortcut

It worked for me.

Upvote 0
Heh the airport is a fun area for multiplay, I got a 30 kill streak on that on XBL :D

On topic though, this port sounds like it is absolute garbage, completely hamstrung by intrusive drm measures, auto detect detail settings that don't work and all over shoddy coding. It's funny because every other port of GTA has been great and better than the console versions in every way up to now. I am glad I got it on 360.

Upvote 0
Well, since I've already played the story mode on PS3, I think it's a disappointment. The missions have no diversity as most of them are just about going to spot A and shooting guy B. And if you include a cellphone where your friends call in random occasions and ask you to go out with them is just frustrating. There is also pretty much nothing to do in GTAIV after you finish the story. Unlike in Vice City and San Andreas, you can't buy property and have some use for your money. Shows and bowling are pretty fun, though.

I bought the game just for multiplayer and mods. It's great to go free roaming with all the the other players in free mode, especially doing stunts at the airfield is really cool. Cops 'n' Crooks, co-op missions, races and the other game modes keep me interested for a long time.

Upvote 0
Nope, they were called Vice City and San Andreas. They may have been the 4th and 5th GTA game released, but that doesnt make them GTA 4 or 5. If there was a "GTA:The Begining", set in the 20s or 30s, would that be GTA 1 or 6(or 7, I dont know how many GTAs there are now, dont care)?

Meh, i hate when they go from simple numbers to giving them fancy titles, and then go back to numbers, only they pick it up at the number they left it at.. its just plain confusing, a little consistancy would be nice.

GTA4 is actually the 6'th in the series, if we only count the big boy console and PC versions that is, if we add the PSP, its the.. 8'th?

Upvote 0
Has anyone else noticed the artifacting in that last screenshot JoshuaC posted, above the sign on the far bank of the river. That ain't good.

Yup, it's pretty obvious...

Also, that entire cityscape rendering can easily be challenged by an Amiga... :D

And the shadows? lul. I don't care too greatly for looks, but if it's not too pretty AND it runs like one legged dog on a frozen lake...

Dammit, where is my GTA2....

Last edited:
Upvote 0