• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

7th Guards Tank Steel beasts server.

BubbaG

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007
I'm curious if any hardcore tankers out there play on the 7th Guards Server when they play the Steel Beast mutator. If there are some out there what are your opinions about the armor ratings given to the Soviet tanks. I've been picking up a lot of complaints that the Stalin and 34/85 must have been given higher armour protection ratings then what they actually had in real life. I myself have had a couple of instances of giving Stalin and 34/85 shots into their side hull armor (almost 90% angle) in either the Panther or Tiger.

Please discuss...

apparently the ppl from that server stole a bunch of DH stuff and put it on their server without asking permission. but apparently it doesn't work for them, as their pro-allied biased mut makes soviet tanks as good as invincible

Are we talking the 7th Tank Guards server?

Yeah, the mutator is called Steel Beasts, and I think the most recent version is b2 or something like that (steal beasts_b2). Normally after what I saw playing I would just go to another server, but finding heavy populated tank servers is a biatch so I'm forced to suck it up.

The only thing I'm finding hinky is the upgraded tank armor. I'm not seeing the Russian tanks having faster reloads times, or being being able to move about the field faster. Angling of any of the German tanks doesn't seem to do much good, but if you see a IS-2 angle off before he starts firing, you might as well bail out of your Panther or Tiger and run home to mommy because you are NOT going to win the duel.

Just frustrating as I've witnessed too many encounters where the Tiger or Panthers shell should have cut through a Stalin side or 34/85 front armor, but the shell just bounces off.

The steel beasts mutator is a long download but I encourage people to try it and let me know what they think.

Regards

Upvote 0
Yup -- Amizaur's Armored Beasts (AB) is pretty well done given the game engine constraints he was apparently faced with. But in terms of projectile penetration capability, armor ratings, slope effects, etc AB plays much better -- in my humble opinion -- than stock RO. There is room for improvement in the AB mutator, but I think Amizaur went a long way in making armored piercing projectile capability and armor protection values more believable with the AB Mutator. Panther drivers will also love the duel magnification gunsight.

Just an aside, I have to say that the Plate slope effects are horribly modeled in the stock version of RO. I don’t know how many times I have seen close range ricochets by Soviet 122mm AP on a Panther mantlet. The whole “tank angling” and its effect on compounded impact angle is way overblown in stock RO. The AB Mutator goes along way toward fixing this issue.

Conversely, I don't know what they are doing at 7th Guards Tank Korps Server (7GTK), but there is not really any connection between reality and what t34/85s and is2s are doing on the 7GTK maps. Their "Steel Beasts" Mutator -- from what I have seen thus far -- is horrible. But hay, if you wanna drive super tanks that kill all Germans panzers while at the same time being completely invulnerable to German shell fire, than the 7GTK server is the place for you.

If you want to play RO using Amizaur's Armored Beasts Mutator, than try the FK#4 server. There is usually a good number of regulars playing on the server. They only play tank maps -- albeit almost exclusively the Alte Ziegelei map. Great map, but they should also consider Maslova as well (shameless plug) ;). And not the stinky mods of the original Maslova (ala the 7gtk MOD2 version -- P.U., or the Maslova Heavy Tanks thingy) -- play Maslova_1943_Version_C ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
jeffduquette said:
Conversely, I don't know what they are doing at 7th Guards Tank Korps Server (7GTK), but there is not really any connection between reality and what t34/85s and is2s are doing on the 7GTK maps.

yeah jeffduquette, totally agree. It total BS that a 45mm thick tank can deflect any short of high velocity 75mm rounds no matter what its sloped at I believe in panzertruppen it was stated that the 75mm kwk L/43 ( panzer IV F2 weapon) could penetrate a T-34 at angle up to 1,200 meters.

As for the Is-2 amzuar modeled the weak spots on it fairly well on the so-called steel beasts its rubbish there are no weak spots at all it deflects everything that should penetrate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0