• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Crucible(really cool looking ww3 game)

I still play RO and its mods a lot, and they look dated as hell.
If the graphics of a game suit it, and do the job then it doesn't have a negative effect on the game itself. Gameplay speaks for itself.
I've played through the HL1 series recently, the graphics are just fine, and if people still played DoD3.1, I think I'd still be playing that too.

Upvote 0
There's a difference between games you've been playing back then and still play today and games you've never played back then but play now. For example I loved No One Lives Forever which now looks really crappy but I could still play through it if I had to and would still really enjoy it because it's a great game(same goes for HL). My point was that for example I would never play System Shock 2 even if it was a GREAT game(from what ive heard) because the graphics are simply very very outdated. And I'd definitely not buy a game that has 2003 graphics just like I wouldn't buy a game without sound or with tetris gameplay. It all has to fit together.

Upvote 0
There's a difference between games you've been playing back then and still play today and games you've never played back then but play now. For example I loved No One Lives Forever which now looks really crappy but I could still play through it if I had to and would still really enjoy it because it's a great game(same goes for HL). My point was that for example I would never play System Shock 2 even if it was a GREAT game(from what ive heard) because the graphics are simply very very outdated. And I'd definitely not buy a game that has 2003 graphics just like I wouldn't buy a game without sound or with tetris gameplay. It all has to fit together.

So people disagree with you, you don't like it for your own reasons? perfect, leave it and move on, stop trying to convince others that they are wrong, they can think for themselves and if they like it they don't need you to tell them they are wrong

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
So people disagree with you, you don't like it for your own reasons? perfect, leave it and move on, stop trying to convince others that they are wrong, they can think for themselves and if they like it they don't need you to tell them they are wrong
What? I was talking to the Dev until The_Masta asked 'who cares?' which is why I stated my opinion. Seriously, how about looking at the progress of the conversation? If you don't like me fine but stay objective at least.

Upvote 0
I would never play System Shock 2 even if it was a GREAT game(from what ive heard) because the graphics are simply very very outdated.

Not being disrespectful, but surely that is extremely narrow minded on your part?
Why should a game need cutting edge visuals to be able to draw you in? If a game is good (and I can assure you System Shock 2 is one of the finest games I have ever played) why should the fact that the visuals aren't cutting edge ruin the experience?
Look at Zelda:Twilight Princess, the graphics aren't cutting edge but the direction, gameplay, artwork are all excellent.

By approaching games in such a way aren't you essentially pigeon-holing yourself into only playing the games you manage to get a hold of and play before the graphics become dated?

That's the same principle as never watching an old film because they have poor special effects, or never listening to a piece of vinyl because the sound quality isn't as good as a CD. It's absurd. Whatever next? Are you going to stop watching films that aren't filmed in HD?

It all has to fit together.

What if it does fit together, but doesn't look cutting edge?

For example.
I have only just picked up the new Prince of Persia titles, the first of which is 5 years old now, and I finished it last week. I can assure you every aspect of the game fits together.

And I'd definitely not buy a game that has 2003 graphics just like I wouldn't buy a game without sound or with tetris gameplay.

Surely that depends on the game, and the price of the game? Red Orchestra was a little dated on release, granted it was sharper than the mod but on release the price was right. I can think of several other titles that whilst not cutting edge were the right price on release...

Upvote 0
for example I would never play System Shock 2 even if it was a GREAT game(from what ive heard) because the graphics are simply very very outdated....

joining in I guess cos you mention SS2 -
I understand your point of view as we are natuarally more visually stimulated than any other sense - but would of thought this the perfect exception to the rule -
graphics are an (admittedly v important) ingredient in the process of immersion, yes, but to this day you wont find many more immersive experiences than system shock 2 I assure you.

There are other qualities that can more than make up for technical graphical shortcomings and believe me this one's got them in spades.
same applies to deus-ex and first 2 thief games

Upvote 0
Well good luck on that project. Honestly, I think it looks okay for WIP.

But I just can't see a standalone game be successfully released by a single person in 2008 and beyond. Let alone if it's trying to be comparable to ArmA or OFP in scope.

Actually I am not intending to compete with games like ArmA and OFP. It took many talented individuals and the support of powerhouse publishers, along with millions of dollars to create these games.

What I am doing is helping redefine (I hope) what an "indie" or "casual" game is. If I am able to deliver a fun (and simple) game, I will consider it a success. Regarding visual quality; although important, it's not nessesarally my very top priority.

Although, I am the only (Art, Design and scripting) developer, I will soon be adding more dedicated engineers to my team :D...

Upvote 0
I think the idea is pretty cool. The vehicles look RAD. :cool:

The player models need more of the RO Grittiness, a bit of dirt on the uniforms.

Also the building are really bright and clean looking. They need to be grunged up a bit, like leaves built up in the roof tiles and stuff. Something to make them look less cartoon.

If it is good I would buy it.

Gameplay>graphics x 1,000,000 :D

Upvote 0