• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left 4 Dead

I'm liking the game, just not this demo. Let me explain...

I wish this demo had versus mode, because it is so short. Unless your playing on Expert difficulty you will beat the demo in like 15 minutes (granted, the extra time spent will be on retry's). IMO Advanced difficulty should be halfway between what it is now and Expert, because Expert is just unreasonably hard and Advanced is still too easy.

Also, control customization is extremely limited, your given four control configs and some buttons are constantly the same throughout *cough*Reload is always B*cough*. I expected, this being a Valve game, to be able to change any button to whatever you wanted.

Other than those two things this demo is awesome!

Side note: anyone have any tips for using the Hunting Rifle? I see it as a support weapon for hanging back and taking out enemies from afar. However, 3/4 of the game is extremely close quarters and since you only have one primary weapon it has to work in the majority of situations which it seems incapable of handling.

Upvote 0
The demo gave me good impression about the game. Even though I lol'd when the game complained that my laptop has "outdated" display driver and the game might not run at all, yet this beast was still capable of running it with everything as high as possible, even though it was bit unplayable that way. Med-high + proper resolution and works like a charm.

I will rush to the stores and buy it the moment it gets released around here :p

Upvote 0
I'm really impressed with the friend system that is integrated. As soon as you get to the menu screen, you see who on your friend list is playing L4D, and you can join them immediately. Assumming a spot is free of course.

I just wish you could invite people to your game more easily though, I don't think that's possible yet. It would be even better if you could open the Steam Groups you're member of from within the game, and invite anyone who is online. That way you don't have to add as many buddies to your list (just like Xfire does).

Also, control customization is extremely limited, your given four control configs and some buttons are constantly the same throughout *cough*Reload is always B*cough*. I expected, this being a Valve game, to be able to change any button to whatever you wanted.

Ehm, control config is exactly the same as in any other Valve game afaik. But default controls are good, imo. All I changed was jump and crouch. I would change "look trough scope", but the scoped M14 is quite useless for such a close combat game imo. R was default for reload for me.

By the way, a new addition is "Steam Cloud", which I think allows you to upload your key configs and carry them over to other games. I don't know exactly how it works yet but it's a great idea.

Upvote 0
Steam cloud didnt seem to work for me :( downloaded/installed it on my laptop then when I got it on my desktop it didnt sync up my key config. But that was within a day of it comming out so ill forgive it and i guess its usfull for people who use net cafes etc, and wont always be on the same computer.

A few thingsI'd like added to the friends support feature inside L4D are; being able to see who else is in your friends game along with the name of the server and also having the ability to join via auto retry. I know that you can do this inside the server browser (open via the dev console) but in my experience the friends tab on the browser is sometimes messed up and just shows a handfull of random servers (for some strange reason usually french servers) non of which with your friends in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Playing on the 360 are you? I dunno, I'd say 4 control schemes for that is typically a lot more than what most other games offer.

Could always step up to playing it on the PC where everything is configurable.

The demo gave me good impression about the game. Even though I lol'd when the game complained that my laptop has "outdated" display driver and the game might not run at all, yet this beast was still capable of running it with everything as high as possible, even though it was bit unplayable that way. Med-high + proper resolution and works like a charm.
Your video card is probably fine, it's saying that the drivers for the card can be updated.

By the way, a new addition is "Steam Cloud", which I think allows you to upload your key configs and carry them over to other games. I don't know exactly how it works yet but it's a great idea.
Steam Cloud uploads your game specific configs (and later on, your save games) to an outside server. This means you can retrieve your settings if you reinstall Steam, or use Steam on another computer. You can't cross-use the configs as each game is typically different.

Upvote 0
Ah yes indeed, kinda misread it early in the morning.

Nevertheless, can't wait for the retail release.

Alot of games give that error with laptops, either because you're running 2 year old drivers as the official laptop ones are never updated or if your using new 'moded' drviers from laptopvideo2go or omegadrivers and so on, which can also give that error.

Upvote 0
I'm really impressed with the AI, they are great shots, always try to help downed teammates, and regularly share pain pills/health packs. I have played several games where people didn't even notice one player left. Granted, you wouldn't want a entire team of bots (one a the most), because they get in the way, poorly place grenade throws (one time I saw a bot throw a Molotov right on top of a downed human player, causing us to lose), and focus too much on downed teammates and not enough on killing the zombies attacking themselves and the downed players.

Ehm, control config is exactly the same as in any other Valve game afaik. But default controls are good, imo. All I changed was jump and crouch. I would change "look trough scope", but the scoped M14 is quite useless for such a close combat game imo. R was default for reload for me.

Playing on the 360 are you? I dunno, I'd say 4 control schemes for that is typically a lot more than what most other games offer.

Could always step up to playing it on the PC where everything is configurable.
I wish my PC could handle this, though it's main problem is a wonky internet connection, short of drilling holes through the floor and perhaps a wall as well, I'm stuck with crappy wireless which XP seems to hate for some reason and will drop my connection every 30 seconds.

Also, on the 360, all my settings are reset every time I beat the demo or load it up, does this happen to those playing PC demo as well?

Upvote 0