• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nazi Zombies

D-Es-C-H

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2006
Okay--I'm going to get flamed for suggesting this, but I can't restrain myself.

I've recently been enjoying the Half-Life 2 Mod Zombie Panic! Source, and I found myself wishing that somebody would create a zombie-panic map (or two, or three) for my favourite World War II shooter. By which, of course, I mean Red Orchestra.

I mean--people already make jokes about "zombies" on custom maps (Pariser Platz in particular) where a glitch makes the dead stand up, or run in place. Why not go all the way, and make the zombies real?

Cinematic inspiration abounds. The Nazi-zombie horror-movie has a long and dishonourable history, beginning with Shock Waves (1976), and continuing with such grade-b (and -c) titles as Zombie Lake, Oasis of the Zombies, The Bunker, and Horrors of War.

One recent Nazi-zombie film, Outpost, is even surprisingly good--by which I mean, to my surprise, it wasn't completely dreadful. And it provides the obvious scenario for such a map. In the last days of the war, Soviet soldiers liberate a mysterious undergound research complex. To their horror, when night falls, they discover that the complex was the site of weird magical/scientific experiments designed to create undead super-soldiers.

You could even throw in a hangar room with a half-completed flying saucer, just for laughs.

RO would seem to be the ideal WWII shooter to modify for such a map. Living soldiers can outrun zombies--until their endurance runs out. The firepower available to Soviet soldiers is already relatively limited, heightening the horror. The PPSh's would run out of ammo fairly quickly, and the survivors would be forced to go for head-shots without crosshairs. Trying to fight off the living dead with just a bolt-action rifle is a hair-raising proposition.

My own mapping and modding skills are non-existent. But I thought I would mention this, in the hopes of inspiring someone else.

RO mods spawn zombies were far superior to the ragdoll bug zombies of ostfront.

ah yes who could forget..

Harlisniper.jpg

...phaps an associate of this pleasant fella...

aw24_small.jpg

Upvote 0