• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Trading Sniping notes.

my favorite map to snipe on is Berezina.

Killing tankers, MG'ers and other snipers is a blast on that map.

I once got into a sniper-vs sniper duel and typed "boom! head shot!" like 2 times before killing the other guy. It was fun. I also like when you have the same person who is coming after you (and your precious gun) and yes, I also typed the guys name and said "die name here" right before squeezing one off into his thick skull.

It's also a nice courtesy to let your teamates know where you were last killed so someone can use your gun while you re-spawn.

Upvote 0
It's also a nice courtesy to let your teamates know where you were last killed so someone can use your gun while you re-spawn.

Or not, because having a map with a million snipers on it can be a HUGE pain in the butt.:p

My favorite stock map to snipe on is probably Leningrad. I love getting up on top of the searchlight building as a german and keeping those russian MGs suppressed and nailing the SL as he runs forward.

Upvote 0
A nice way to be a good sniper is practicing using a regular rifle, but behaving like a sharpshooter. With some time you will be a nice shot and will avoid certain circunstances, like CQC. It's good also when you decide to move to the sniper class. You will think that it's child's play.

I play most of the time using bolts. Semi-autos are better for closer encounters and in situations that you can butcher the enemy (ie. , narrow streets). Semi-autos are not good when your job is to pick especific targets, like officers, mgs and other snipers.

PS.: I don't know why, but I found G43 sniper version much more accurate than SVT sniper rifle; but, it kicks more than the russian one.

Upvote 0
You can do the exact same thing with any bolt. You just can't see their sweat.

I challenge you to make those shots on an MG that's hunkered down in one of the windows behind the cap, or in the AT bunkers to the right of the bridge. If you can, then you've got a huge monitor. I wouldn't know, as if I'm a rifleman I'm usually doing what a rifleman should do: advancing into the cap and not plinking at enemies.;)

Upvote 0
^^^^^
right on, Logicearth.

so many people talk about sniping with a rifle...i feel it is more or less BS or bragging or, they have a 36 inch monitor.

how can you compare making very long distance shots with a small fraction of the enemy exposed with the sniper vs open sites?

riflemen are cannon fodder...they should move in and occupy caps and let the sniper and mg'ers take care of more long distance kills.

Upvote 0
True, but once on this farm map, my friend was sniping this dude about 500-600 yards away, about 2-3 pixels high, and i took a couple shots at him with my normal, open-sighted rifle and killed him, even though my friend could not (he is a really good player too).

It may have been luck but it sure was awesome.

Upvote 0
my definition of rifleman is different.

Automatic soldiers take and hold territory from inside the capzone and try to get inside the capzone.

Rifleman and Mg's take down the people that are killing your teammates before they can enter the capzone, and stop enemies from getting into the capzone. Snipers take down enemy mg's and snipers.

The issue is more that people take the wrong spots to do this often and just camp in spawn or something. But you can help your team if you can stop the enemy advance and clear the path more so than bringing everybody into the cap zone.

Upvote 0
my definition of rifleman is different.

Automatic soldiers take and hold territory from inside the capzone and try to get inside the capzone.

Rifleman and Mg's take down the people that are killing your teammates before they can enter the capzone, and stop enemies from getting into the capzone. Snipers take down enemy mg's and snipers.

The issue is more that people take the wrong spots to do this often and just camp in spawn or something. But you can help your team if you can stop the enemy advance and clear the path more so than bringing everybody into the cap zone.

I agree in part. Riflemen should advance more cautiously than the assaulters, stopping, surveying, and taking shots at targets of oppurtunity. But they should, in the end, get into the cap zone. Primarily because more people in the cap zone = faster cap and more likelyhood of holding onto that cap.

Upvote 0
I don't register points above 60 or so in most games. That's because I advance and shoot. I take care to eliminate those MGs or snipers (scoped or iron sights) that impede the advance. I don't always succeed. But I also don't charge headlong into a stream of lead and willynilly reduce the reinforcements.

I've supported capping by killing the opposing forces trying to enter the capzone to clear it. I've supported capping by being in the capzone. It takes teamwork, not Rambos.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Probably my best sniping attribute is that of my refinement of fieldcraft..
Before I ever get online I tend to raid the refrigerator and make sure I have acquired the pizza and beer necessary to undertake any sniping mission :)

Really...Firstly know that the primary mission of a sniper in combat is to support combat operations aka help the other troops obtain objectives by delivering precise long-range fire on selected targets. By this, the sniper creates casualties among enemy troops, slows enemy movement, frightens enemy soldiers, lowers morale, and adds confusion to their operations. The secondary mission of the sniper is collecting and reporting battlefield information.

As a sniper I try and maintain adequate distance between me and the enemy troops. Know the choke points on each map. Maintain communication with team members, and observe your map frequently for updated objectives.

When you can, crouch, cover and rest your weapon on something. Much more accurate. Learn the art of concealment and concealed movement. A good position will enable you to relax and concentrate when preparing to fire.

Range estimation and learning to hit a moving target is also very important.

If you're position is given away and CQB is imminent know how to use your pistol. The pistol is your friend.

Know when to shoot and who to snipe first. Depends on many variables such as what class they are, where they are currently located and what gamestyle they tend to use. Who is the current threat?

MM

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If a target is running at say 100 meters. How far should i have the crosshairs on him

wouldn't that depend on how fast is he running and... in what direction?
if he's running towards you, you don't need a lead. If he's running perpendicular to the line between you and him, your lead should be maximized.

But I'm just a newbie, i haven't even installed the game yet :(
(downloading it through steam as we speak).

Upvote 0
If a target is running at say 100 meters. How far should i have the crosshairs on him
Only initially should you have your crosshairs on him. After that you must lead him.
Snipers must assume where the target is moving towards, and aim just a tad bit ahead of the target. Leading the target allows the you to effectively place a bullet into its mark no matter what speed it is moving. Doing this however, takes great skill and a sort of third eye sense to visually predict where a target is moving towards.

This brings up the Prediction Method. Admittedly for snipers, the prediction method is not always 100% accurate for multiple reasons. The target may vary its speed, or even stop after the trigger has already been pulled. As a result, the bullet may go ahead of its target or behind its target depending upon a sniper who over-leads or under-leads his target. The point is, though, we are predicting and therefore must assume a target’s eventual destination; obvious proof for why this method is not entirely accurate.

Q: If a target is approx. 100 m away, moving at slow-walking speed, how many head lengths ahead of the target do you aim?
A!: If you guessed 2 head lengths, then you are a brilliant sniper.

Q: If a target is aprox. 100 m away, sprinting, how many head lengths ahead of the target do you aim?
A!: 2 head lengths every 50m. So, if a target is 100 meters away, sprinting and is moving directly left or directly right, a sniper must aim and fire ahead of its target at 4 head lengths.

Q: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
A!: When you can answer this question, you will be a MasterSniper, Grasshopper!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGTUFqPJo4
Also keep in mind, these conditions apply to people with pings from 90-120 ms. If you have a significantly lower average ping than this, try decreasing the head lengths by a half throughout your calculations, when leading the target. (So if its 2 head lengths normally, make it 1.5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0