• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Divided we fall? The future of RO.

This post kind of falls in as someone already said with many others on this forum. Now I agree with many of you and that's why I'm trying to give people what they keep calling for and this has been out there now for quite a few months. I have always agreed with having everything as one but it is NOT going to happen so that is a moot point anymore. The only MOD that is integrated so to speak is CC.

I have changed the name of our server and it has over 100+ customs on it along with CC MOD, EH machine gun Mutator, Armored Beasts Mutator, AHZ_Vehicles. The server is 2Manny's Customs Heaven and I've always liked variety and always believed more is better, this is why I've done this with our server and we have our base players which is only 10-20 of us, but getting those from all the 24/7 or even the Default Only servers hasn't happened. So you have people constantly asking for this kind of server and it's always been out there, the server is in the Mid west so pings are good for all. The time to be there is from 8PM EST on. Once 20 folks are there it fills to 40 in no time because people want to play people and not the old bots.

Now if DH and MN were as CC is they'd also be on our server but that as I said will NEVER happen and this is because that's how they want it to be, so folks have to get over that. Now the servers that are always full are the TWI servers, so the key is start frequenting the servers you keep asking for rather than just doing the same old then coming our here and complaining about 24/7 servers and Default ONLY servers.

Someone also mentioned if you want content regardless of whether it's a MOD, Mutator, or Custom you have to download, it's the nature of the beast, now mind you, the server can be set up with Quick Downloads so that you can get the files quick, so you just have to be patient.

The other key to this is simply go out to the Map Depository site and download and install the Mutators, MODS etc. and then you won't have to download those again only the custom maps will be downloaded and they take less than 1 minute and once you have them you usually won't have to download them again as long as you keep frequenting that same server and keep playing those same maps.

So if you want content and variety with a well admin'ed server it's always been there just start frequenting it. This server will always be there until a version 2 game is available IF EVER and even if ALL other servers die, we plan on keeping it up regardless of whether we have players or not, it's only money, but of course we'd love to have you all. With a more full server we can weed out bad maps, add better maps and so on and I hope to make it a larger Customs Community.

The only thing I would say is before stopping by. Download and install these before hand. The CC MOD locally (Get the right files - Client install), the Armored Beasts 2.08 Mutator, AHZ_Vehicles Beta 2, EH Machine Gun Mutator, place everything in the proper locations and you'll be good to go. When you stop by you'll only ever have to download the maps if you don't have them already and you could even go crazy and put all of those locally as well and you'd never have to wait a second to get in.

As far as the community is concerned there is NEVER more than say 300-400 players in the world on at any given time and you have 50-100 servers. 4 are almost always full so that alone takes up the whole community. I'd love to see TWI shut down there server completely and this will probably be the next step they take to prepare for a newer game, and let other servers take in those users. I'd also love to see there ONLY be 5-10 TOTAL servers overall as someone I think mentioned. One dedicated to say DH, one MN, and of course a Standards, and maybe a few 24/7, and then a Customs Only Server.

I'd also like to say everyone keeps waiting for this new game and there are very little details to NO details about it and people it could actually suck or be as bad as the COD4 Mutliplayer is of course time will tell but don't get your hopes up too much and besides it may even be a modern combat game rather than say WWII or Vitenam and so on and all I can say is I hope not but that can very well happen and if so then I'm afraid the game for me will suck (Not one for modern warfare)... Hope to see you all on the battlefield.

Go here for all your download needs:
http://www.red.orchestra.pl/plug.php?e=maps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Clown, LTNS. I haven't been around much lately but hope to return to 2M as soon as I have a working gaming machine again and RL circumstances allow.

I'm not a forum regular so I didn't realize this topic had already been kicked around so much. I've thrown my .02 into the ring anyway. Integration sounds like the way to go, but if it isn't going to happen, it's not going to happen. I'll continue to do whatever I can to help the game and it's mods regardless.

Now if I can just get my @#$@! computer working. :)

Upvote 0
RO like a car model

RO like a car model

Let's face it...RO2 is the next generation and when it is released...ALL of us are going to buy it and play it because we are hooked and have a near drug addiction dependency on RO:OST.

If TWI is able to create the same sense of realism, the same sense of teamwork, the same immersion into a high-impact, fast-paced squad level combat action that gets your blood pumping and heart poinding...we aren't going back.

RO, unfortunately, is last years model. If TWI repeats, there will be 1000's of noobs (including us) filling up all the available servers and RO:OST will be relegated as a 'classic' with maybe a handful hard-core group playing.

I'm looking forward to RO2 and hope TWI does get it right.

Upvote 0
Let's face it...RO2 is the next generation and when it is released...ALL of us are going to buy it and play it because we are hooked and have a near drug addiction dependency on RO:OST.

If TWI is able to create the same sense of realism, the same sense of teamwork, the same immersion into a high-impact, fast-paced squad level combat action that gets your blood pumping and heart poinding...we aren't going back.

RO, unfortunately, is last years model. If TWI repeats, there will be 1000's of noobs (including us) filling up all the available servers and RO:OST will be relegated as a 'classic' with maybe a handful hard-core group playing.

I'm looking forward to RO2 and hope TWI does get it right.

I somewhat disagree with you. I know I will eventually pick up TWI project 2, but it will be years before I have the hardware to run it like I can run RO right now (with everything maxed out). Bottom line, I am still having too much fun with RO.

I only have to look at BF 1942 severs everynight, full. CS 1.5, the same story. COD 1/UO, still full, even with two new versions out after it. Ghost Recon (original), and Rogue Spear/RSRS also full. Hell Delta Force Land Warrior, Blackhawk Down, and Quake 3 are still full.

I'm still having a blast playing and will for YEARS to come, and so should you :)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been playing since 3.1 & rarely frequent the forums as the occasional times I have there is always a thread or two stating how the game is dying, reduced player base etc. Apparently it's been dying for 2-3 years now but I seem to be oblivious to the situation.

Whatever waking hour I boot up the game there is always a few populated maps that I enjoy in session & this has always been the case.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Upvote 0
I've been playing since 3.1 & rarely frequent the forums as the occasional times I have there is always a thread or two stating how the game is dying, reduced player base etc. Apparently it's been dying for 2-3 years now but I seem to be oblivious to the situation.

Whatever waking hour I boot up the game there is always a few populated maps that I enjoy in session & this has always been the case.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

i can tell you this time its not the usual "RO is dying" crying. The clan community is rapidly decreasing, about every month one of the long time clans is breaking up or leaving to other games.
Of course you will find a public server with people on for a very long time still, heck if you know the time, you can still play the mod.

Upvote 0
I don't usually jump into these "RO is dying, etc" threads as they are usually nonsense (RO has been dieing since 2003 with the 1.1 version of the mod). But I will hop in to correct some incorrect fact, and throw in a little extra. First there is this:

As far as the community is concerned there is NEVER more than say 300-400 players in the world on at any given time and you have 50-100 servers.

Well according to steampowered.com stats, today there was a peak of 1000 people playing (and that while most people had their server browser broken - which we just fixed BTW). On many days, that peak number can hit 1400 players. And a quick check in the server browser shows almost 200 servers. Look for yourself here, don't take my words for it:
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats

You can also see the player stats for the past year here: http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/ Look at the last years stats and you'll see that the player counts have been consistent for over a year (with a 20% jump during the summer months) and show no sign of trending down WHATSOEVER. The stats don't lie, so all of these doom and gloom "the players are leaving" poeple are just wrong. Of course there are less people than there were at release, but the players certainly aren't leaving in droves like some would have you believe.

The other thing I would like to address is the TWI servers. We only have one server that is consistently full, and it is the 50 player "Old Glory" East Coast USA server administrated by TWB. That server is always full, and we'd be insane to take it down. It is full because people like to play there. As far as I know there are NO other servers on the east coast capable of really handling 50 players. Of course if someone else wants to volunteer to pay $500 a month for a server that can run 4/50 player server instances your welcome to do it :)

The other popular 50 player servers (the TWB ones in Europe) are paid for and adminned by TWB. And those servers are always full too. Once again, the servers are full because people LIKE to play there. Taking down a server that is always full is NOT good for the community. People play where they have the most fun.

Finally, we'll be announcing something soon that we think will really give the RO mods the shot in the arm they need and will get them much more popularity. Stay tuned for news on that!

Upvote 0
Well I'd have to say that I think my stats were even more dead on than the Steam stats and anyone checking Steam and it's GREAT server browser could agree. Ok, I was a bit off on my server stats but there were 172 of those and most of those were empty, this by the way is with a working server browser.

I just saw a server that had 248 players in it, that sure can pad some stats. Now considering you can't have more than 50 explain that one???

Now if people configure their server browsers correctly to have the best pinging and servers that they could actually enjoy a game without too much lag and of course you can't join the password protected unless you know the passwords, and you have to check the box for servers actually having people playing, then even my stats are greatly exaggerated unfortunately.

Now I never said RO was dying completely and I'm sure it never will until of course a newer and better game arrives, you'll still have your players that will always play, just look at DOD the original it still has some full servers.

I personally think that this site gives better stats as far as servers for RO over the Steam browser and what is going on in the community as a whole.

http://www.gametracker.com/search/ror/?sort=rank&order=asc&per_page=50

This is where I based my stats from and of course it even shows Bots as being human and when I did my stat look up I counted Real players actually playing and amount of servers active during a peak time. I didn't just make up the numbers I represented. Now considering people are not playing 24/7 and need to sleep the stats I mentioned are probably better represented.

Now with that said I still think NO other game is as good as or can compare currently to RO. I've also stated that regardless if tomorrow every single server did die there would still be one server available at 2Manny's and this will be that way up until a better game arrives, whether by TWI or whomever. With the current state of games I don't see that happening any time soon so our server will be there for some time to come...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I think it's beating a dead horse. The community can see themselves what is going on, regardless of what anyone posts out here, on any given evening or any given day. Sure thousands launch the game daily I don't dispute that. I myself probably launch it 10 times a day.

I'm sure there are several thousands of people who actually have downloaded and own the game but out of those there is NO where near that amount playing. Just for an example I've gotten 10 people to purchase the game and sadly only 2 out of that 10 actually play it.

I just wouldn't bank everything on what you see on the Server Browser or Steam Stat Site.

Now what I'm talking about and what people look at daily is not Steam Stats. Personally until that was posted yesterday most here probably didn't even know there was such a page. People simply open Steam and check the server browser and as I said they set up their filters to represent what they are looking for and what you see explains it, all regardless of what a Stat site is stating. As an example to this is as I posted this there were 70 servers and several showed well over the possible amount of players per that server and when checking most of them many that stated there were several people in them there were actually none, now adding up the player count there was no more than 400 on at one time, I would also consider now a peak time across the world.

As I said also I don't use the Server Browser because it's still doesn't work for crap and use the gametracker site instead because you can find your friends and see what is truly going on much easier than using the Server Browser.

People will always start these types of thread because they see the things I see daily and those who are actually playing the game on a daily basis. Only time will tell where the community is going and I hope it stays for some time to come but the future at this point is looking bleak to say the least.

Upvote 0
Cool, thanks everyone for the postings.

My observations are based on the perspective of being away more than I get to play, so when I come back to the game, I notice the differences. Anyway, the players that are out there do seem spread thin, maybe because there are more servers now than there was before (?). When I fire up RO and refresh the server list, most of them are empty. The few that are consistently full are on my favorites list.

I'd like to see a graph with 2 lines that shows the number of players and the number of servers, from the initial release to present. Not to prove or disprove anything at all, just out of curiosity and to examine trends. I don't miss the days of having to wait for a player slot to open on a busy server, but I'd rather have that than to sit alone trying to seed an empty server. I kinda wish we could just shake the tree, reduce the number of servers, and thus concentrate the players more (I know, I know... impractical idea).

The original intent of this thread was not to cast doom and gloom or proclaim the death of RO (notice the question mark in the subject line :)).

The intent was simply to examine ways to 1) keep the player base strong and growing and 2) make the games themselves as accessible as possible to help achieve #1

Love the game, appreciate the hard work that goes into them, looking forward to whatever the future brings.

see ya on the front when RL allows!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest Im getting bored of all these "RO is dying" posts. If you think that fine but keep it to yourself please, the opinion has been voiced and we don't want a new one evey week saying the same sort of thing.

Do something constructive like host intuative events or competitions to get people wanting to play the game rather than all these doom and gloom posts. If any prospective buyer were to visit these forums I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their minds with all this negativity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0