• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New player here

lukaa

Aug 30, 2008
Hi :)
I like the game very much, but i have some questions:

*Every time im with tank, and i shoot something, my shells just bounce off. But other tanks often 1 hit me.

*Is there somewhere maps guide, where i can see which maps are with tanks and wich just infantry?

*Often i get killed by artillery, but how i can use it? I cant use any cannons i see on maps :rolleyes:

Hope someone will guide me a bit, hehe :cool:

Last edited:
For whether a stock map is tank or infantry (and some history too!), check Chapter 9: "The Battles of Ostfront" of the "Historical and Tactical Guide" under the manuals section from the Downloads tab on this forum.

http://redorchestragame.com/index.php?categoryid=3

There also used to be external sites discussing many of the maps and tactics. Maybe some of them are still up.

Upvote 0
a few maps such a baksan valley and zhitomir 1941 have random arty on it too! which is hilarious, but also a big pain in the butt because it always kills somebody! its like it targets the same person all time too! but yeah, squad leaders and tank commanders can mark and call in the arty.....in DH (Darkest Hour) SL can use their radioman to call in the arty as well......

Upvote 0
Hi :)
I like the game very much, but i have some questions:

*Every time im with tank, and i shoot something, my shells just bounce off. But other thanks often 1 hit me.

*Is there somewhere maps guide, where i can see which maps are with tanks and wich just infantry?

*Often i get killed by artillery, but how i can use it? I cant use any cannons i see on maps :rolleyes:

Hope someone will guide me a bit, hehe :cool:

-Try to angle your tank at around a 35* angle from your opponent. RO uses a pretty complicated system for calculating tank damage and you want the shells to hit you at the most oblique angle possible. You will -always- get one-shot killed if you square up and give them a flat surface to shoot at. You'll get used to this eventually.

-Easiest way to tell whether a map has tanks or not is to check the classes; anti-tank infantry, tank commander and crewmen are only available on maps with armor.

-Only the squad leader class can call artillery strikes. Some maps also have random arty strikes across the map.

Hope you stick around - I'm a new player myself and this community's fatal flaw is (paradoxically) a lack of fresh blood.

Upvote 0
Some tanks have better protection against the shell sizes fired at them than others. The Soviet T34 has very well sloped armor, so rounds bounce when they hit the slope. Penetration can occur at weak points, the hull surrounded by the tracks, the driver door or view slot, the rear of the tank, the turret ring.

This can vary by type of tank. The German tanks have more straight sided hulls and are more vulnerable, even the heavy Tiger has this problem. The Panther is built more like the T34 with sloped hull.

Also larger shells penetrate more armor, so the heavy tanks IS2 and Tiger can usually kill the medium tanks easier than a medium tank can kill another medium tank.

Angling your tank as mentioned before helps a lot, as does placing it hull down behind a small rise or in a depression so that only the turret is visible.

Upvote 0
If you don't have a mic I will -never- team tank with you.

Most players love shooting, love shooting and driving, but hate just driving - who can blame them? You spend most of the action tucked away squinting through a slit and looking at the horizon. Coupled with the fact that most maps spawn -way- too many tanks and there's little reason to team up when everybody can have their own.

Other maps however really benefit from full crews, but these are generally maps with only one or two tanks and they tend to fill up fast.

Upvote 0