• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gran Turismo:HD finally gets....

quite a few sim gamers think highly of GT5:p with the G25 steering wheel in pro mode

The general feeling is Pro mode is pretty good, at least as good as GTR2 and Rfactor, maybe not as detailed LFS, but LFS has no immersion. I found GTR2 ok, RFactor crappy

Awesome graphics, and good physics = good immersion
crap graphics + awesome physics = average immersion

take your pick

Upvote 0
Hopefully Simbin's new game will be on consoles too, so Sony won't be able to tell everyone "T3h bestz driving simulator!1".

No, it'd be great if they started a console only franchise running paralel with the PC titles, but if they go cross platform it will only water down the PC versions.

Keep sepperate platforms sepperate, console games rock on consoles, and PC games rock on PC, but when you mix them, there will allways be compromises, compromises that suck!

Awesome graphics, and good physics = good immersion
crap graphics + awesome physics = average immersion

take your pick

There is a rather large hole in your theory there, and its called GPL, after all thease years, its still the #1 racing title, there are still so many people who play that sim relegiously, and its not for its graphics! mods have made it look pretty good over the years, but it's not the prettiest thing you ever saw.

Upvote 0
New information has emerged about the GT Academy, the latest promotion by Sony to give Europe’s fastest GT drivers a shot at a real racing career. The first press release was vague on details, but today we have everything you need to know. The entire competition is broken down into three stages:

Stage 1 (June 2 - July 21): The first phase of GT Academy will take place online with a “giant” virtual Gran Turismo 5 Prologue tournament. The competition will run for seven weeks and to enter, players must register their PSN ID at gtacademy.eu. The next time they play GT5 Prologue online they will be able to race in the GT Academy Time Trial where they will compete to be the fastest around the Eiger Nordwand track in a Nissan Fairlady 350Z.

Stage 2 (after July 21): The fastest 20 drivers in each country will be invited to a national final to compete head to head on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. The three fastest drivers from the final will win a seat at the Stage 3 competition.

Stage 3 (August 25): The fastest three drivers from each country travel to Silverstone to take part in the GT Academy - a real-life driving competition on the track itself. Competitors will not only have to prove their driving skills in a Nissan GT-R but will also be tested for their mental and physical skills in a series of tests. The two fastest drivers from Silverstone then have the chance to enter a four month training programme to earn their racing licenses and take part in a real life race in a fully race prepared Nissan 350Z at the 24 Hour endurance event in Dubai in January 2009.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played it for a while, mostly online, and that was years ago
stuff gets old after a while

but old cars like that don't do it for me, I want modern and recent street cars that I see on the road, in various states of tune I can do myself as I desire.
They have to look nice and accurate like they do in real life.

Only one game will give you that

Most of these racing games - are just that, games. GT has always been something else
Something a car geek can get his teeth into

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This quote froma friend sums it up perfectly

To me, GT is about reverence, car culture, and driving. Not racing. Maybe it's a flaw, and maybe it will turn people off from it. I'll hardly fault it, though.

If I had grown up playing NFS (or whatever Xbox racing game that had the minimum hp requirement for cars to get in the game), I would've probably had more socially acceptable taste in cars, or dreamt normal dreams of being a racecar driver. Instead, I think GT grounded me and gave legs to the notions of "everyday supercars" that I had since my very early years. It kind of helped me realize that cars weren't all about racing... that being a *driver* was okay, too.

For me, GT (and GT5P specifically) is all about the presentation. There is so much romance! The cars are so mutedly exalted -- it sounds oxymoronic, but I think that's the phrase that best describes the way the cars quietly sit in the tiniest fraction of these beautiful scapes as the camera pans around to show off the locale. Forza might be a better racing game, but it could never match the emotional appeal of GT. PD are *car lovers*, and GT is their artwork. Forza... is a game.

Upvote 0
August 1 update due for GT5:p

Improvement in Download Speed

• Improvements in download speeds for online updates and content
Gran Turismo TV

• Start of PPV (Pay Per View) service
  • It is now possible to fast forward, rewind, or move between chapters when viewing video content.
  • It is possible now to have up to 8 simultaneous background downloads running at the same time.
  • Individual downloads can now be paused or resumed.
Distribution of Expansion Data

• Instant distribution feature of My Page backgrounds added
Race

• Improvements in penalty judgments
  • Improved physics during collisions between cars in Online races.
Time Trial

• The tire selection in Arcade time trials changed from “S2” fixed, to “N1-S2”
Ranking

• It is now possible to display top lap times in all courses in a list.
  • Improvements in the user interface
Common Vehicle Physics

• Improved controllability when using S1-S3, and R1-R3 tires.
  • Changed calculation rules for performance points.
Option

• Added [Standard Definition (SD) Display Size] in [Display Settings]
  • Moved the [Temperature] unit setting from [Network] to [Units]
  • Added Expansion Data settings and Advanced Download Option settings in [Network]
Sound

• 6 BGM tracks added
Online race network specifications changed

• Added port 5658 to the ports used in Online races.
Other

• Players matched in Online races now added to the [Friends] → [Players Met] menu within Playstation 3.
  • The time and score from replays of time trials, drift trials, and distributed demo replays are now displayed after their replay. For distributed demo’s, the Online ID is also displayed here.
  • Manual updated

Upvote 0
big update for GT5:p is live now!

Just the tip of the iceberg - so many changes

Just list whatever changes you've noticed.

1. It is no longer possible to powershift with the G25's H shifter + clutch. Powershifting as in never lifting off the accelerator, and just punching the clutch in and out and changing gears. This will make things more even for everyone. It is still possible to shift quicker, but players have to be more careful now as misshifts are a lot easier to attain.

2. Is no longer possible to quit online races. No more disconnects unless the host has real bad connection or physically turns the PS3 off.
thumbsup.gif

3. You can actually hear the turbos spool and the Blow Off Valves (BOV) now. The Amuse S2000 sound amazing. Exhaust noise seems to have increased too.

4. R3 tires really do feel like soft compound tires now.

5. I can't confirm this, but I think punters and the like get black flagged now. Their car gets a permanent ghost effect.

I'm loving this update so far. Now just get GTTV PPV going PD so I can download the Ferrari movie!

The engine sounds are indeed very different, the Z06 sound beefier and you can hear the gearbox noises now as well! It's also far more manageable! At first it feels like active steering is on (probably only noticeable to controller users), but it's much better and dare I say more realistic now. I also just went out and with a fairly average lap blitzed my old Suzuka time in the Corvette by 2sec!!!!!!

the driving "feel" has absolutaly changed!!i had to get used to it for a few laps,especially the turn in of corners feels much more accurate,and the "loose" feeling of the corvette's behindhas been improved as well....

also they changed something with the nissan gtr's clutch(did not drive anything else yet,but guess its with all cars...i drive using dfgt-wheel..)you can notice it when stationary...

the noise also changed dramatically,like now the engine sound changes when under load...so its different when you rev it in nutral and when you are accelarating...

these are just some changes i have noticed untill now,much more exploring to do

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the official press release

Improvement in Download Speed

Improvements in download speeds for online updates and content
Gran Turismo TV

Start of PPV (Pay Per View) service
It is now possible to fast forward, rewind, or move between chapters when viewing video content.
It is possible now to have up to 8 simultaneous background downloads running at the same time.
Individual downloads can now be paused or resumed.
Distribution of Expansion Data

Instant distribution feature of My Page backgrounds added
Race

Improvements in penalty judgments
Improved physics during collisions between cars in Online races.
Time Trial

The tire selection in Arcade time trials changed from “S2” fixed, to “N1-S2”
Ranking

It is now possible to display top lap times in all courses in a list.
Improvements in the user interface
Common Vehicle Physics

Improved controllability when using S1-S3, and R1-R3 tires.
Changed calculation rules for performance points.
Option

Added [Standard Definition (SD) Display Size] in [Display Settings]
Moved the [Temperature] unit setting from [Network] to [Units]
Added Expansion Data settings and Advanced Download Option settings in [Network]
Sound

6 BGM tracks added
Online race network specifications changed

Added port 5658 to the ports used in Online races.
Other

Players matched in Online races now added to the [Friends] → [Players Met] menu within Playstation 3.
The time and score from replays of time trials, drift trials, and distributed demo replays are now displayed after their replay. For distributed demo’s, the Online ID is also displayed here.
Manual updated

Upvote 0
Am replaying it ATM. Spec III is very nice and the game is still gorgeous.

Only wished most of the online players would know better to brake before taking sharp turns instead of hitting the back of your car and pushing you out of the track... :(

apparently they changed the physics again
one of the new cars in Spec III update

Ferrari California

Fuji Speedway
Physics: Proffesional
TCS & ASM: OFF
Tires: N3
Wheel: Logitech G25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stn6e65Iv1g

don't worry when the damage update comes, things will change :cool:
more updates to come! Not bad for a "demo", they update it more than full games and for free!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFPBSv1jWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFagOGkW2qI

Last edited:
Upvote 0