• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO & destructable walls?...physics fun, using NVidia-physx and UT3

Wouldn't all those tons of bricks create lag for those that don't have super ninja rigs ?
By that logic we'd still be having games with exactly the same graphics in 20 years. People need to upgrade their PCs with time or alternatively get a gaming console. This 'but not everyone could run it' sure is valid to some point(for example Crysis) but other than that come on.

Upvote 0
Yeah I think bullet penetration and at least semi-destructable environments are the biggest things that need to be in RO2, as well as smoother anims.

Bigger servers with bigger maps would be cool too.

It would add a ton to the intensity to have tanks blasting through buildings and no longer be safe behind walls.

Upvote 0
I hope Physx will be available for ATI cards, namely the 48xx and 38xx series, aswell in the near future, as i own an ATI HD 3850 AGP. :confused:

Reading back through here, I notice I missed this post.

Those cards will likely not get PhysX, because if I remember correctly, they aren't CUDA enabled. Let's also keep in mind that using your GPU for PhysX isn't ideal, and Nvidia is probably putting PhysX on their GPUs simply to help promote the engine and have maybe another thing someone might buy their card because of, instead of an ATI card.

Upvote 0
nVidia bought PhysX, they own the tech, so no, you wont be seeing it on ATI cards, ever.

This is also why PhysX is avalible (or rather, will be very soon) on GT 8 series cards, having the tech nVidia put the chip on thease cards.. though one does wonder why they have not seen fit to activate it with a driver till now.

Upvote 0
Good morning one and all....

It works.
You need the latest Nvida beta drivers...177.79 for XP
I've been playing Warmonger which is a free game using the Unreal3 engine.
I installed and ran the game before I found the PhysiX driver, the before/after difference is impressive, getting a steady 30fps (off-line practice).

Have yet to check out the UT3 situation.

Go for it...

EDIT : here you can get the Map pack for UT3...
http://files.filefront.com/AGEIA+PhysX+UT3ModPackmsi/;9090965;/fileinfo.htm

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I hear, Nvidia is trying to get ATI to adopt CUDA so they can official support PhysX. However ATI has their own dev language they are promoting as well with Intel. It's all rather complicated tbh.

Oh and let's not forget that MS is trying to trump it all with Direct X 11 which is supposed to add a supported programing language that all cards are supposed to support (which might be a good thing so we don't have multiple standards again).

Upvote 0
UT3 Tornado & Lighthouse PhysX maps =

Well my E8400/8800gt/3go ram is knocking up a nice 20 fps for about 5 minutes and then drops down to anything between 4 & 9.2 fps :eek:.
I would have been happy with 20fps, what with only having a single card to handle all the stuff going on.

I'm still impressed tho.
Lets hope as Yoshiro says that we will have a norm which will work for everyone.

Upvote 0
From what I hear, Nvidia is trying to get ATI to adopt CUDA so they can official support PhysX. However ATI has their own dev language they are promoting as well with Intel. It's all rather complicated tbh.

Oh and let's not forget that MS is trying to trump it all with Direct X 11 which is supposed to add a supported programing language that all cards are supposed to support (which might be a good thing so we don't have multiple standards again).

Then again we will need newer graphics cards that can support it. But is PhysX the ultimate choice for heavy physics calculations in future even when multiple core processors each running at 5ghz or over have already become widely mainstream ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think RO can benefit from that.

Then again we will need newer graphics cards that can support it. But is PhysX the ultimate choice for heavy physics calculations in future even when multiple core processors each running at 5ghz or over have already become widely mainstream ?
This reminds me of the days when people said graphicscards aren't really necessary because the cpu can handle it too.

Upvote 0