• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

The main reason I don't play as often is the tank combat. It's not that I don't think it's well done or fun, it's just I'm not interested. I'd rather play a different game like ArmA or whatever for that.

For me it's similar to what Natural Selection did with Combat. It split the game in two and mixed all the servers together, so both game types end up losing out.

I also think it's lacked maps with decent fun gameplay since the original overplayed maps were dropped.

Upvote 0
OK, I can't play Foy enough. Epic Map. What would you all think of this:

Foy 24/7 ???

I know, we all ***** about the Danzig 24/7 servers but I feel this map is worthy and I can rarely find a populated server when i like to play (9-11p est)

In my opinion any 24/7 server no matter what the map are detrimental to the community as a whole.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it was mentioned before, but the 50 Players server, or lets say the patch that brought it widely killed the fun (on those servers). The devs failed to adapt any map and as a result most maps (at least 75%) are totally unbalanced, and the winner is set by default. This logically kills any form of teamplay, since on some maps it is impossible to win (for example as axis on kaukasus) and this encourages just to fraghunt and do nothing else. As done on the server. Aside from the devs, the admins (I only know about the admins of the twb servers) widely fail. Not only do they leave maps like this on the server, they also encourage this sort of play, by allowing spawnrape and bad behaviour in general (winning team joining, unbalanced teams are pretty normal (with the winning team having 2 men more at least - another sign of the bad shape of the ro community)). Playing RO on those servers really changes your playingstyle and many servers are empty (im not interested in custommaps or danzig24/7).
Oh yes and the many clans that play on twb are responsible also, since they always (I haven't found a clan that doesn't) join the same team and the mostly the team that is favoured the map. I can understand that some wants to play with his buddies for some time, totally normal, but doing it all the time and also joining the winning team/the team that is favoured by the map even reuins the balance even more. If two skilled people have the mgs on most of the maps, and they talk via teamspeak and make tactics, its over, no matter how hard the other teams fight.

So all in all: remove the unbalanced maps or the 50 player servers and start encouraging teamwork again. Because that is what separtes RO from the masses. If I want to play alone, win by camping or lame behaviour, I could join any other game.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it was mentioned before, but the 50 Players server, or lets say the patch that brought it widely killed the fun (on those servers). The devs failed to adapt any map and as a result most maps (at least 75%) are totally unbalanced, and the winner is set by default. This logically kills any form of teamplay, since on some maps it is impossible to win (for example as axis on kaukasus) and this encourages just to fraghunt and do nothing else. As done on the server. Aside from the devs, the admins (I only know about the admins of the twb servers) widely fail. Not only do they leave maps like this on the server, they also encourage this sort of play, by allowing spawnrape and bad behaviour in general (winning team joining, unbalanced teams are pretty normal (with the winning team having 2 men more at least - another sign of the bad shape of the ro community)). Playing RO on those servers really changes your playingstyle and many servers are empty (im not interested in custommaps or danzig24/7).
Oh yes and the many clans that play on twb are responsible also, since they always (I haven't found a clan that doesn't) join the same team and the mostly the team that is favoured the map. I can understand that some wants to play with his buddies for some time, totally normal, but doing it all the time and also joining the winning team/the team that is favoured by the map even reuins the balance even more. If two skilled people have the mgs on most of the maps, and they talk via teamspeak and make tactics, its over, no matter how hard the other teams fight.

So all in all: remove the unbalanced maps or the 50 player servers and start encouraging teamwork again. Because that is what separtes RO from the masses. If I want to play alone, win by camping or lame behaviour, I could join any other game.

you gave yourself away with "camping"

Upvote 0
ROLFCORE:

Well our server isn't 50 but it is a 40 player server and you mentioned about maps not being able to be won by a certain team etc. Every map can be won by either team and this is proven over and over again on our server. I've always heard this statement and I totally have to disagree. This is totally based on the team that you have. You could have played Kaukasus 10 times in a row on our server and with the right team the Russians would never win, have that same team on Russian and the Germans would never win, it's all about teamwork and the folks you have on your team.

You also mention you don't like Customs, well this is another thing that keeps you away from the same old bump and grind, you need to start playing Customs, many of these maps are incredible and well balanced. Personally though from all the years of play I've put in on RO, I've never found a map that can NOT be won by either team, statistically though you may be correct a couple may have a slight advantage but to me it's always been the folks on the team who determines whose going to win.

Now I can understand your statement about people only going on certain teams and the CLAN factor. Now in general I will join our server and pick AUTO SELECT and whatever team it puts me on, that is the team I stay on for the remainder of the night (meaning never switching just to be on the CAPPING team) unless the teams become unbalanced and I'll switch only to even them up if no one else does.

Now the thing about picking the team that is going to win is impossible, I think your statement is they join the OFFENSIVE or the team that has to CAP always and the reason people do this is because this is where all the points are.

You get more points per capture, sure some maps allow the DEFENSE to RE-CAP which IMO is a good thing, but on DEFENSE ONLY maps people (Especially Clan folks) join the OFFENSIVE team and this is because of points - as much as people hate to admit it they want to have the highest score and care about stats and their scores in general - everyone wants their name in lights (TOP SCORE) it's human nature, this is why I've always suggested for RO to have the winning team get an additional 100 points for winning score added to the points they already have, this way it would make folks work harder on winning as DEFENSE or OFFENSE for that matter and would create more of a reason for TEAMPLAY and would probably cut down on people joining the CAP ONLY team because then it would be about winning only. Now when it comes to capping that is my game there is never a second I'm not in the zone and I usually will have one of the top spots because of this but I don't just pick the capping team if it happens it happens, but I can also be tops on my team on defense, I do NOT care about having the TOP score overall, I usually like to be TOPS on my team (Win or Lose). I do like to WIN just as much as the next guy too over the amount of points I may have.

I've watched certain folks do this all the time over the years, soon as the map would change to Odesa bingo everyone jumps over to Russian (WHY? CAPS). Stalingrad Kessel same thing. Kaukasus (Go German) and so on depending on the map.

I think you are complaining about something that you can simply fix yourself but you haven't, because you are obviously ONLY playing on those servers regardless of your complaints? Our server has clan folks who join and usually play split (meaning not all on the same team) but hey if they all want on the same team we also have many regulars who like myself LOVE CLAN KILLING that's how I got my start in FPS in general, with a good team they go down just as easily as the next team. Our server also has great use of VOIP by the most part and as mentioned earlier CUSTOMS to get away from that same old bump and grind. I'm all about a challenge thus the reason I will ONLY ever use a BOLT action.

You need to break free from those servers you complain about and try some Customs and of course get in a server with good admins and most of what you seek is already out there, our server for one (2mannys ROOST) and there are several others and the problem is they sit empty and yet folks keep posting all those same complaints you have, but never leave those servers to frequent another. You just have to find that right server and so do the others who have the same complaints and before you know it those empty to semi-empty servers will become the ones that remain full.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
like clown said, the maps are balanced enough that a good team can win on either side....while some 50 player servers have so many public players come on and do their own thing and not work together, there are other servers, OF, 50pc to name a couple, where experienced players play, i would highly suggest playing there. nobody is "responsible" for anything :D players will play however they want....an admin cant sit in a server all day and force people to play as a team, play certain sides, not camp, or divide up clan players. and on the topic of clan players "always" teaming up???? i don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.....EVERY time i have seen multiple players from the same clan on any server, they almost NEVER on the same team....occasionally (from experience :D) 4 or 5 guys from a clan will play on the same side, usually to practice playing that side for an upcoming scrim or match, as playing against other humans is the best practice...last thing, you brought up kaukasus.....i personally always go german just because it is a challenge and probably about 75% of the time i am on the german side, i see the germans win.

Upvote 0