• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Need Russian Armoured Train Pictures/Blueprints/Models/etc.

[TW]DrGuppy

Tripwire Interactive Staff
Nov 22, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Awhile ago I stumbled across this site and found a paragraph that perfectly fit a map that I am planning to make:

"Armored trains were used during the battles of the Northern Caucasus, in the autumn of 1942. Often they made suicidal stands but proved willing to obey such orders. One of these cases happened in October 1942.

The Germans, bringing fresh troops into the theater, began an offensive toward Elkhotovo Ardon Vladikavkaz and Elkhotovo Beslan. Soon it became clear that there was real danger of a German breakthrough through the so-called "Elkhotovo Gates" directly toward Vladikavkaz. On October 29th, 1942, the 36th Battalion of Armored Trains was deployed in the area, consisting of the armored train №731 "Vpered, na zapad!" near Alagir and №717 "Orenburgskij zheleznodorozhnik" near Ardon.

In the morning mist of October 30th, the armored trains took their positions. By 11:00, when the mist lifted, №717 was attacked by 18 planes. Constantly maneuvering, the armored train was able to shot down two of its attackers, when German tanks appeared nearby. During this very long day, the armored train was able to repulse three German tank attacks. Two of its armored wagons were destroyed, the rail line around it was heavily damaged, so it was not able to move. With nightfall, when all its guns were destroyed or damaged, the armored train commander I.I.Fandej ordered the remnants of crew to retreat to Alagir. During 7 hours of battle the armored train managed to destroy or damage 22 German tanks and armored carriers.

photo_bp35.jpg

№731 entered the battle the next morning. Masked in the brushes, it allowed German tanks to come near and then opened fire. Its deadly point blank fire destroyed 6 tanks and 3 armored carriers. But soon counter fire found the most vulnerable point of the train. Two German shells exploded inside the armored locomotive control post. The armored train’s commander, V.F.Galushko, and the entire locomotive team were killed. At the same time, splinters damaged the breaks, and the armored train began to move down the mountain slope, gaining the speed and firing from its remaining guns. In Ardon at a maximal possible velocity it ran into the abandoned remnants of №717
As a result, by sacrificing all its armored trains, the 36th Battalion delayed the German advance for 24 hours, allowing other troops to regroup and close the approaches."

For this map I obviously need an armoured train static mesh but so far I cannot find any pictures, models, or blueprints that give me enough to work with. I believe the type of train is BP-35 (judging from the picture they placed in the middle of the story) but I'm not sure. I will take anything, it doesn't even have to be the correct type that fought in this battle. Anything would be great. Thanks. :D

Here you go, Guppy: http://ut2004.wickedpenguin.com/files/MBV_type.rar

These are the research materials I was compiling for the armored train I was going to put on Mga.The plan was to have an actual functioning train, firing randomly, which would be a satchel objective for the Germans. I might still go with this, because it would just be freaking intense. :)

I had chosen an MBV model, of which there were several variants built right before WWII and would be the ones most likely to be still in use when Barbarossa started. The MBV was a self-propelled train, not a "flak car" or similar which needed an actual locomotive.

The Russians used armored trains a lot in their civil war, so sometimes the WWII and WWI-era trains get mixed together.

Upvote 0