• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Diablo 3 is here!

Thats pretty much every PC game thats been released in the past... 15 years.
If you're going to look at it from a simple perspective you could say that, I guess, though you're completely ignoring the other elements of said games.

Diablo gives you nothing to to at all other than mash left mouse on enemies until they die and throw the occasional spell. I reckon it's the most repetitive game I've ever played and it lasted about an hour on my HDD.

Upvote 0
If you're going to look at it from a simple perspective you could say that, I guess, though you're completely ignoring the other elements of said games.

Diablo gives you nothing to to at all other than mash left mouse on enemies until they die and throw the occasional spell. I reckon it's the most repetitive game I've ever played and it lasted about an hour on my HDD.

Well when comparing it to a flight simulator or some such when it comes to keyboard interface, then yes its pretty basic. But Blizzard knows when it has a good product and the 'mash left mouse on enemies until they die and throw the occasional spell' thing works and has been working since 2000 when Diablo 2 came out. All Diablo 3 is doing is making the old formula better, not reinventing. Just take a look at Starcraft 2, its what Blizzard is doing now that it has three huge IPs to design for games.

Usually people on this forum whine about all game designers focus on is graphics over gameplay, but now that we have a game with proven gameplay, you go off and complain the graphics suck or the controls are too basic...

Upvote 0
It may be proven gameplay and may appeal to some, but this horse has been dead a while so stop hitting it with a stick. I like playing games that immerse you and make you use your head, not ones that give you arthritis in your finger.
Btw I did play Diablo 2, maybe for 2 weeks, then I realized a 3 year old could probably achieve the same results as I have due to the simplicity of the game.

As for graphics, they have allot to do with a game, but it is smart to dull it down so more people get to enjoy it. Until people start selling pcs with actual decent graphic cards that is (that's a laugh).
An example is I still on occasion play Die By the Sword, crist does it look ugly but has an ingenious combat system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the crappy graphics and the availability to everyone has no relation at all, they could have done a realistic ambient and characters that everyone could run in their pcs without problem, by simply using the UE2.5 and make it look at least like RO (already outdated, but looks far more realistic and better, and you can't say that its whoring for graphics), what they do is recycle that crappy engine they've been using since Warcraft 3.

I can name a lot of old games that look much more detailed and realistic with very light engines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If we go down to basic level RO is still nothing more than random respawn rally. If you want example just see how Danzig usually goes:

Spawn. Nade. Kill few guys. Die. Repeat ad infinitium. And as a sidekick capture objectives. Just because RO has bit more general realism (albeit highly abstract) than many other shooters still does not change the fact core gameplay is not that diffrent from many other FPS games.

Usually people on this forum whine about all game designers focus on is graphics over gameplay, but now that we have a game with proven gameplay, you go off and complain the graphics suck or the controls are too basic...

Agreed :D

Upvote 0
Well when comparing it to a flight simulator or some such when it comes to keyboard interface, then yes its pretty basic. But Blizzard knows when it has a good product and the 'mash left mouse on enemies until they die and throw the occasional spell' thing works and has been working since 2000 when Diablo 2 came out. All Diablo 3 is doing is making the old formula better, not reinventing. Just take a look at Starcraft 2, its what Blizzard is doing now that it has three huge IPs to design for games.

Actually complaining about the gameplay is exaclty what I am doing!

What I've been saying is that I don't enjoy Diablo's gameplay, which is true, I find it a coma enducing click fest. I haven't complained about the graphics at all or the controls. So I don't know where you're getting that from. What I have said is the game is boring and repetitive, which --at least on the planet I live on-- is criticising the gameplay.

Read and comprehend.

Also I don't really get your implication that Blizzard are focussing on gameplay. In my opinion they aren't focussing on gameplay at all, they're beating a dead horse. Sure it may be a horse that is loved by many, but it's not exactly like they have to do any work on the gameplay other than recycling something 8 years old to turn a profit. It's exaclty the same thing with Starcraft 2, it's like Starcraft with some new units and updated graphics, but the same old gameplay.

Blizzard may have been great in the past but these days they couldn't buy an original thought if they tried.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the crappy graphics and the availability to everyone has no relation at all, they could have done a realistic ambient and characters that everyone could run in their pcs without problem, by simply using the UE2.5 and make it look at least like RO (already outdated, but looks far more realistic and better, and you can't say that its whoring for graphics), what they do is recycle that crappy engine they've been using since Warcraft 3.

I can name a lot of old games that look much more detailed and realistic with very light engines.
You must've a seen a different game then. Because what I've seen looks pretty good: nice designs, very nice animations and shiny effects on an adequate engine... or in other words typically Blizzard. They never focused too much on graphics but made their games work and fun to play. But like MP-38 said, the games-bashing on this forum must obviously focus on something else now.

And it looks easily better than RO (comparing the two,even graphics-wise is just pointless in the first place though).

@DraKon
Actually I like the isomterical view quite a bit for these type of games: I like how you can just play with one hand on your mouse, iirc in these 3rd person rpgs you usually play with keyboard and mouse. The iso-view just adds to the casual character of these games imo. We all know that they won't have a deep storyline with many dialogues (i'm waiting for Drakensang for that), but i'm sure it's going to be a round game for just: drop in, play a few hours, slay a few hundred zombies, find a few items game. The perfect stress relieve after work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Found this pic earlier, I agree

diabloyw5.jpg

Upvote 0
Well truth is, the gameplay may be the same. But hey, it's Diablo! If your gonna change the whole gameplay around, your bound to f*ck the game up for the fans, wich just sucks too.
You know what you can expect from Diablo. If its not your cup of tea, then dont play the game, i know i wont.
If it had been called another name, i wouldve said the same ting about old gameplay that needs changing though. But Diablo is Diablo, and should remain so.
You dont have to play it, as long as the old fans do.

Upvote 0
To those who haven't tried D2 or want to buy it again (God forbid you can get over the whole "OMG GRAPHIX" thing for two minutes though) then go here:

http://www.g2buy.com/index.php?gOo=goods_search_list.dwt&gcat=249

The prices end up being cheaper after you register and sign in. They basically just email you a key. You take the key (it's a legit key, many have bought from it including myself) and register it at the Blizzard store (after you register and sign in).

Voila. You can now download a legit copy of D2 that you bought for just a few bucks. I picked up the Battle Chest last night for less than $5. Even if I hate it again now, it was still just a few bucks I lost then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Found this pic earlier, I agree

diabloyw5.jpg

diablo2_1.jpg

Looks about the same, actually Diablo 3 looks better cause it actually has real time lighting. Besides if the game actually looked like the second picture, you or someone would probably complain the game had no color and was using lame post-processing effects to cover up the graphics.

Upvote 0