• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour's First Weeks

Hmm...DH had potential. Unfortunately, it's performance suffers greatly. The maps are poorly conceived and apparently not tested. Some maps are still a joke like Merville Battery or Brecourt. Lack of spawn protection, buggy objectives. The maps themselves are fairly bland. I've honestly been comparing them in terms of quality to the original Day of Defeat maps. And don't get me started on the AB mutator and the stupid new MG42 sound added.

Maybe I'm harsh, or maybe the bar was raised so high by the excellent quality Carpathian Crosses displayed in all aspects of its release.

I dont think youre too harsh as I felt the same. Played DH about 1 1/2 and had enough, didnt touch it since that.

Upvote 0
God mate i wouldn't go round saying things like this about WWII.

I pointed out on another forum about do we need to keep reminding the world about D Day and Pearl Harbour every year.
And how WWII has no relevance to today.
You would have thought i had murdered someone for all the vitriol i got.
I was just about labelled a Nazi for my views.

But just for the record i agree with your original point.
I think its time we all moved on.

Im sorry but the swastike is still alive and kicking as a symbol of hatred!!

People are such morons when it comes to terminology used on German soldiers. If I was to refer to them as the Nazis instead of the Germans, I would get bashed with the 'Not all germans were nazis' line.

But those people always defend the use of nazi party signs in maps which makes me wonder...

IMHO I dont mind vehicles baring the symbol ie tops of stugs or on tails of Stuka's for exmple, as that was the norm. But to have banners strewn across maps and nazi slogans thrown about is just plain un-necassary!

IMO

Upvote 0
You obviously dont share the view of many "Let us never forget.."
Neither do I :D
In fact I'm quite the opposite: forget as much of the not useful memories as you can. These memories prevent you in your current life and energy.

Of course positive things are very useful for remembering them.
WW2 is not among them since it was a time of great suffering.

Game on gents, Monk.

Upvote 0
So half the posts on this board are asking how we can save this game and the other half seem to be complaining about a free mod for it (OK, maths may not be my strong point). I really don't get it, it's a free mod, it's free content and still some people moan lke a *****.

I played Foy last night and had a blast. It's a great map.

Great. New. Content. For. RO.

What's not to like? You don't like something in the game, suggest some positive changes, and if you feel really strongly then hey, make your own damn mod. If I was the DH team I'd really wonder why I bothered after some of the comments on here.

Some people made a load of free stuff for a game we all love.

Upvote 0
I love the arguemnt of "make your own mod, if you dont like ours"

I repeat myself here but without dealing with critizism and acctualy trying to live up you "press statement" wich sais : "...trying to get YOU the game YOU want" plus people only seem to like the smaller or at least not FUBAR.Spawn maps, it might be time to stop listen to the realism crowd / who use a tweaked version of ro to create a boring gameing experience / ( at least thats what it looks like from my standpoint ) you wont get anywhere and "loose" the intrest of the gamer that still sticks to RO. I know DH from the pre alpha till now and i understand that, if you do a mod, you cant please everyone. Even if you whould try. There is just no way. So you either rely on the community effort to create some more maps or tweak the ones present to a playable and good DH-RO experience. ;)

Upvote 0
I love the arguemnt of "make your own mod, if you dont like ours"

I repeat myself here but without dealing with critizism and acctualy trying to live up you "press statement" wich sais : "...trying to get YOU the game YOU want" plus people only seem to like the smaller or at least not FUBAR.Spawn maps, it might be time to stop listen to the realism crowd / who use a tweaked version of ro to create a boring gameing experience / ( at least thats what it looks like from my standpoint ) you wont get anywhere and "loose" the intrest of the gamer that still sticks to RO. I know DH from the pre alpha till now and i understand that, if you do a mod, you cant please everyone. Even if you whould try. There is just no way. So you either rely on the community effort to create some more maps or tweak the ones present to a playable and good DH-RO experience. ;)

You're missing my point. I'm not saying there shouldn't be criticisms. It's a long way from perfect, maps need tweaking, etc, but what pisses me off is the sarcastic tone taken by some of the posters on here. If someone does you a favour of making you a mod, and you think it can be improved, then give them some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, not the boitching and moaning that a lot of people have.

I've got nothing to do with this mod or any of the people who created it, but when people post things like 'Towns have roads? Even if they're dirt roads, they need some sort of texture and life to them. All the buildings are ugly and bland as well' it just drives me mad. Really, sarcasm, it's JUST what people need more of.

Upvote 0
What, someone saying 'Towns have roads?' - give me a break. And when you've spent months working on something and someone just pops up and says that's 'ugly and bland', do you really think you'd say 'wow, you're right, I never noticed towns had roads. And OMG, my buildings, what was I thinking'?

There are plenty of ways to encourage people, thank them for their work AND offer your advice and insights into how things can be improved. But I guess some people just like being an asshat.

Upvote 0
But those people always defend the use of nazi party signs in maps which makes me wonder...

IMHO I dont mind vehicles baring the symbol ie tops of stugs or on tails of Stuka's for exmple, as that was the norm. But to have banners strewn across maps and nazi slogans thrown about is just plain un-necassary!

In terms of historical accuracy and authencity, if it was there why remove it? It might be very offensive, it might be very frightening, it might something entirely weird and seriously inhuman crap, but as sad as it sounds - it still is more or less important part of it.

More beter question would be on how many towns there were (especially in late war) with any visible nazi party related symbols or such like banners.

Upvote 0
funny thing that when you ask for support from the community, and people tell what they think its wrong, you just offer excuses for it being that way and then proceed to mark the suggestion as "wrong" instead of considering the change, and thats the point where people stop being constructive with their criticism, its what happens when you don't listen to the community

"make your own mod if you don't like ours" pretty much sums it all about your close minded attitude, and believe me, thats not the path

Upvote 0
We've all seen the footage & know party banners & slogans were EVERYWHERE!

Do we HAVE to see it on fictional or semi fictional maps or true to scale replicas of towns? Short answer, no.

We have seen the WW2 footage & know the history & it was evil and brutal.

Do we have to experience it through a fictional game or try to replicate the realism of that war?

:eek:

I know it was bad, but crying out loud at this whole complaint.

Upvote 0
funny thing that when you ask for support from the community, and people tell what they think its wrong, you just offer excuses for it being that way and then proceed to mark the suggestion as "wrong" instead of considering the change, and thats the point where people stop being constructive with their criticism, its what happens when you don't listen to the community

"make your own mod if you don't like ours" pretty much sums it all about your close minded attitude, and believe me, thats not the path

Sorry but I cannot Remember me or anyone on our team saying that. We are open to all Constructive crits and suggestions.
We will do what we can to improve the mod so the majority can play and enjoy what we have made.

So please continue with the Constructive crits and we will see what we can do. But as some people have mentioned before, calling the mod **** or saying this sucks or that sucks really does not help us or the mod improve.

we have already made some Changes that were asked for by the community and will continue adding more and more new content is also being worked on. we have several Custom Maps in progress and hopefully will be released soon.

Upvote 0