• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint Thread.

But it was from the makers of Operation Flashpoint.:p

And it was a real sequel. I mean, cut the marketing bs and look at it: It's a sequel to Operation Flashpoint!

What they meant was that it wasn't going to be the sequel they had in mind but just a filler for fans to waste their time until their envisioned sequel is finished and as a means to bring in some money to fund that new game they originally wanted to make. ArmA is out now, and their new game, the game they consider Operation Flashpoint 2 will be called ArmA2 as the rights for the OPF name are owned by codemasters.

Codemasters themselves are working on a new Flashpoint game called Operation Flashpoint 2 and since we don't know anything about those developing it the name is the only handle that allows us to guess what it's going to be like and we can only hope that they don't screw up the Flashpoint liscense.
Up to now I have to say I liked most of the codemasters sequels and I felt that they wanted to make the original better, even if they didn't succeed sometimes (Colin McRae2005 !?) so I'm not too pessimistic about the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ArmA was not a "real" sequel to OFP?

FFS DON'T ADVERTISE THE GAME AS "FROM THE MAKERS OF OPERATION FLASHPOINT THEN", I seriously want my money back.

But it IS from the makers of Operation Flashpoint. That doesnt say anything about the game though!
You would have more right to complain if they had said "The official follow-up to OFP" or something along those lines. What they say now doesnt necessarily have to do with ArmA as a game, just that it's from the same makers.

Upvote 0
I don't believe ArmA2 will be different from ArmA either. The new videos just plain suck, and it's no different than current ArmA except the AI.

Also, it just seems like an expansion pack advertised as a whole new game. Especially reminded me of what Resistance was to OFP. We may see a semi epic-fail this summer.

Upvote 0
The ECP mod is good. (ECP stands for Enhanced Configuration Project)
It does not change anything fromt he original game, but only adds to it: 3d craters from explosions, a chance for crewmembers to bail out of their vehicle when it gets destroyed. When they do, they are on fire and are running and screaming, sometimes they'll even roll over on the ground.
They added random chatter, as well as situation-specific chatter for troops, and radio chatter in vehicles.
It's great :)
I used it in this video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeg6NUeP86I

Upvote 0
I don't get why there are s many complains about Flashpoint 2 being done by diferent developers...

ArmA (OpFp's true soul sequel, by the original devs) is broken in many ways, if they didn't took the rights for it and hand it to someone else, we would be already playing Flashpoint 2, that would be ArmA with a diferen't name.

I understand that when a series is given to someone else, chances are that its going to be crap, but hey, the real devs are making crap for sure right now and its Flashpoint 2 with ArmA as a name, so lets give the new devs a chance.

If you are so loyal to the original devs, then you can stil play ArmA as if it was Flashpoint 2, because it IS Flashpoint 2, no harm done.

same thing goes for "Far Cry" (not that good game to begin with), with a crappy soul sequel called "Crysis", IMO, "Far Cry 2" done by someone else can do much better.

I don't deny that the sequels are not going to suck, but I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt first, since everyone seems to be so angry about the dev changin, I can say at least, that if the sequels were made by the true devs, they would have already sucked, and we would have nothing to look forward to
Amen to that. I have no idea how OFP2 will turn out, but I'd actually be surprised if it turned out worse than ArmA. So I'm glad that it's a new dev team, because apparently the old dev team has lost any clue on how to make a fun game.
Bohemia have allways stated that ArmA was not the official follow-up to Operation Flashpoint. From day one they have said that it was to be some sort of '1.5' version of Operation Flashpoint,
ArmA is not OFP 1.5, it's OFP .75: Take OFP, pretty up the graphics, add tons of bugs and serious performance drops, completely ruin singleplayer and strip the game of any soul and you got ArmA.

And ArmA 2 so far looks like a "fixed" ArmA 1, but nothing special. Way to rip off your customers.

Upvote 0
You guys played SLX yet? I know there's a lot of bugs, and It's not multiplayer, but once you get going in a fire fight, there's nothing better.

I also like the fact that there are wounded people that you can drag and try to help.

The tank combat could be better in it, although I rather like the way the crew bail out second after taking a hit, and start to roll around on the ground either on fire, or wounded.

I like the animations in it too, they're well done. I don't like the bazooka animations though, kind of a quickened waddle.

I'll see if I can get a video of it posted, and then you guys will believe me about the awesome fire fights.

Upvote 0
I think its neat, but the aiming stinks in it. When I would go prone, even though i can see the enemy clear as day light my rounds would hit the ground trying to shoot him. When I was kneeling or standing the aiming stunk lol. I would have my iron sight right on the person but still could not hit them, but the AI had great aim. I had to get almost point blank range to get a kill. I dont know if its because they changed stuff with aiming or what. One thing I think its annoying, I noticed every time i get into a fight or right before it starts to rain. Whats up with that? lol In the normal game it doesnt do that all the time lol.

Upvote 0
You guys played SLX yet? I know there's a lot of bugs, and It's not multiplayer, but once you get going in a fire fight, there's nothing better.

I also like the fact that there are wounded people that you can drag and try to help.

The tank combat could be better in it, although I rather like the way the crew bail out second after taking a hit, and start to roll around on the ground either on fire, or wounded.

I like the animations in it too, they're well done. I don't like the bazooka animations though, kind of a quickened waddle.

I'll see if I can get a video of it posted, and then you guys will believe me about the awesome fire fights.

Just played it, but quite frankly it annoyed the hell out of me.
The new recoil is something i just have to get used to i guess, but the dodging of AI units just looks really awkward. Perhaps nice in CQB but when they do it in open terrain it's just useless and looks inappropriate, like playing a UT game and seeing people dodge around there.
Combined with the changed effectiveness of weapons (like Towne pointed out, you cant hit a damn barn even if you were standing in front of it) i was grinding my teeth in frustration.
The new effects are ok but i've seen better.

And the new jogging animation blows. It's just a sped-up version of the walking animation, and looks like ****. I didnt like the way they changed around the controls for those new animations either, though that again might just be something i need to get used to.
But in honesty i dont think i will, cause i dont think i will be playing it again.

Upvote 0
Hey again guys! I downloaded and installed WGL 5.12 but I can't find anyone playing it. I thought this was a pretty popular mod, isn't it? Anyone know what servers run it?

Also any of you guys still play FDF 1.4/1.3? Can't seem to find many servers at all these days

Yeah, I saw some servers up a few weeks ago (Haven't been playing it all that much) I think it's called EWE/EWF FDFmod or something... I'll look it up in a minute. There's almost NO-ONE playing WGL mod, I only see the rare server up, but nobody's playing, and it's passworded. I saw a Shack Tac playing with WGL mod, and immediately tried to join, only to find out IT was passworded too... Maybe we should all have a match on a selected server, maybe get TS going, and play some rugged WGL? Just a thought. :p

Just played it, but quite frankly it annoyed the hell out of me.
The new recoil is something i just have to get used to i guess, but the dodging of AI units just looks really awkward. Perhaps nice in CQB but when they do it in open terrain it's just useless and looks inappropriate, like playing a UT game and seeing people dodge around there.
Combined with the changed effectiveness of weapons (like Towne pointed out, you cant hit a damn barn even if you were standing in front of it) i was grinding my teeth in frustration.
The new effects are ok but i've seen better.

And the new jogging animation blows. It's just a sped-up version of the walking animation, and looks like ****. I didnt like the way they changed around the controls for those new animations either, though that again might just be something i need to get used to.
But in honesty i dont think i will, cause i dont think i will be playing it again.

Wait- what SLX are you talking? cause, I like to play it with the WW2 addons, and it makes for some GREAT combat. I thought it was a pretty good addon considering the original OFP, I haven't tried ECP mod yet, is it worth it?

I thought the aiming was fair, You just have to take your time, and let your guy breathe. You can't sprint 100 meters and expect to aim for little infantry 500 m away.

well, I'm still serious about that game of WGL, I'll see if I can make the server even, I just wanna play some co-op!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't tried ECP mod yet, is it worth it?
I'd say it is and I'm using it for co-op sessions with my brother for months now (though we don't play often).
Don't think of it as a mod ala WGL or FFUR but more of a giant update to the original game adding lots of detail here and there without changing the way the game behaves all too much.

Upvote 0
I'd say it is and I'm using it for co-op sessions with my brother for months now (though we don't play often).
Don't think of it as a mod ala WGL or FFUR but more of a giant update to the original game adding lots of detail here and there without changing the way the game behaves all too much.

Why do you play it over FFUR, or WGL5?

I'm just wondering if it is worth getting.

The only thing I know about it is that it adds the crater things, and cool effects, but does it change behavior or models?

Does it work with HYK, GRAA, or something a little fancier than the milky-like origional models? Also- Does it change Animations? (A little sick of that running anim, you know... the one where it looks like he has a pickle up his bum?)

Upvote 0