• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

I know I'm missing the obvious, but if every single person who posted in this thread were to e-mail a few certain admins to change the freakin' map rotations, maybe they would listen. Or maybe not. All I know is that the only thing keeping me away from RO is the terrible server configurations: Danzing/Smolensk/Zhitomir/Arad 24/7. I never see Kriegstadt, Konigsplatz, rarely see Odessa, some other favourites whose names I forget, too. (It's been so long that I forgot the names!)

Upvote 0
I know I'm missing the obvious, but if every single person who posted in this thread were to e-mail a few certain admins to change the freakin' map rotations, maybe they would listen. Or maybe not. All I know is that the only thing keeping me away from RO is the terrible server configurations: Danzing/Smolensk/Zhitomir/Arad 24/7. I never see Kriegstadt, Konigsplatz, rarely see Odessa, some other favourites whose names I forget, too. (It's been so long that I forgot the names!)

Don't forget they have a Danzig Night now also :(

Managed to catch the last 15 min of a Berezina map a week ago, oh that was so good. Pushed my tank into the village and saw the inf come up behind me and then push past. Almost brought tears :D

T.

Upvote 0
Im still under the impression that losing a decent server browser really damaged the game. I just checked a few servers (using the in-game browser first, then the steam one) and found that CoreNA and SUOMI are still playing the WinterCup-Final on a ROladder server.

I feel that the way TWI communicated with us about this issue is, lets say, suboptimal. People were complaining about it all over the place and the only answer we received is "use the steam browser". I would, if it would work probably, but the CoreNA vs SUOMI bit was shown in the steam browser, the in-game browser only shows 17 people on that server without showing their details at the buttom of the page...

Note: I am again not talking about the buddy-list, just a server browser that one can trust and that shows what is actually going on on the servers and not what happened there 2 weeks ago or what might happen there sometime

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True, the server browser now is a pain. And as a comparison, I had the two lists, Steam's and RO's side by side (I have two monitors). No filters. RO's comes up with more servers that are occupied and at least will show who is playing in them. Of course, this is after I click on the servers to try to get an accurate map listing. But they show some differences in the number of players, the maps running in the same servers, and some show clearly occupied in the RO Browser with actual players while the Steam one shows none in those servers.

Since neither appears to be very accurate, I just stick to the RO server browser and leave my 2nd monitor open for Vent, or Xfire, or a favorite web page I am waiting to autoupdate. Why be bothered with the Steam one, I mean really, if it is no more accurate than the RO one?

Things like that make it difficult for us players looking for good custom maps to find a server as opposed to those who just auto jump in the larger TWB servers. Lately I have been trying to seed a server more, or sit in a server with just a few other players, but at 8 or 9pm in North America, that is difficult and many times pointless.

Weekends are easier of course, as many europeans are on at the same time as us north americans.

-----------------

Are there a few decent servers running customs that are usually occupied in the evenings, that we can try to gather on? This way we don't spread out in a hopeless, pointless quest to play our favorite game?

Upvote 0
Painkiller mainly got the large influx of players because of Yahtzee. All we need is it get Yahtzee to give RO a good review and there'l be hundreds of new players running around the servers again. Just like the good old days.

Good luck with getting him to play a multiplayer only game ;o, if anything he would stomp it into the ground cause of the bots :p

Upvote 0
I think the Best way foreword would be to bring up interest and publicity in the Game, It's a multi- step method of getting more players, and it goes like this-

1) Lower the price and advertise on steam main page and update things, people always go for low price, quality games.

2) Offer a free week of RO

3) Two weeks later, have an X-fire tournament thing, plus another free week of RO

4) Have a mapping contest, people always like to see an active community

Otherwise, go for the other, single step.

1) Ignore the declining community and wait for RO2

Upvote 0
For tournies or free weekends, I'd say you need a way for only maps like Berezina, Gorlitz some bigger inf maps etc. to be running. Would be easy in tournies. Otherwise if they hit Danzig they'll just go, "Oh, so it's like DoD without crosshairs" "Man it sucks, can't do anything stuck with a rifle (they will be newbs after all)" "So as rifleman, I'm just meant to spam nades?" and never see any of the different gameplay RO can bring from other FPS games.

Upvote 0
I think the Best way foreword would be to bring up interest and publicity in the Game, It's a multi- step method of getting more players, and it goes like this-

1) Lower the price and advertise on steam main page and update things, people always go for low price, quality games.

2) Offer a free week of RO

3) Two weeks later, have an X-fire tournament thing, plus another free week of RO

4) Have a mapping contest, people always like to see an active community

Otherwise, go for the other, single step.

1) Ignore the declining community and wait for RO2

Well said.

Upvote 0
I think, as said before, the key to succes are the servers like TWB. The TWB servers got me into RO. Because... they run the good maps, the 50 player fights, it makes the combat more hectic and the veterans ofcourse.. They know how to play.

On other servers there was no teamplay at all, or just always the arad mapvoting stuff, what i really hated.

On the other hand i think RO will survive, because the people who play it play it out of interest for ww2. Getting more new players isn't the key to me. When you really like realism and feel to a game, you will end up with RO. If you like cod 1 or 2, you will quit RO. Its' a different audience.

Upvote 0