• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day of Defeat - Discussion thread

Same here. Played DoD from Beta 1.2 up to 3.1, and when they went retail I was like 'meh'. Played that for a bit, but not as hardcore as the mod.
But then Source came around, and it was all over for me. Also, had fun with the beta release parties on IRC :>

OLEEE OLEEE OLEEE OLEEEE OLEEEE

Edit:
Maybe a mod should move these conversations to a Dod thread -_-

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The DoDS update is in BETA, and the changes that have been made are constantly undergoing fixes and adjustments. There's already a second update to the BETA slated for today that addresses a number of issues. The fact that they introduced "TF2 stuff" is a good thing. It adds achievements, community integration, and -gasp- a bit of additional fun into the title.

They also changed the weapons to better mimic the 1.3 CoF values, ported to the Orange Box engine (as they're also planning with CS: Source), and are still making a huge number of changes, assuming you haven't bothered to read the Day of Defeat forums at Steampowered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the patch will include
- fix for client crash in spectator gui
- fix for iron sight deploy animation sometimes taking longer
- fix for deployed bazooka and mg having full mouse sensitivity
- reduced size of impact effects
- sv_friction and sv_stopspeed are no longer hidden for dod
- added cvars dod_playrivalrysounds and dod_playachievementsound
- suicide no longer removes a kill
- fixed bullet decals being misaligned when iron sighted
- reverting view position change when sniper zoomed ( leftpeek )

"I also hope to get the achievements fully working so you guys can test out the class and weapon ones, there are some rewards at the end of that path."

I wonder what that

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the patch will include
- fix for client crash in spectator gui
- fix for iron sight deploy animation sometimes taking longer
- fix for deployed bazooka and mg having full mouse sensitivity
- reduced size of impact effects
- sv_friction and sv_stopspeed are no longer hidden for dod
- added cvars dod_playrivalrysounds and dod_playachievementsound
- suicide no longer removes a kill
- fixed bullet decals being misaligned when iron sighted
- reverting view position change when sniper zoomed ( leftpeek )

"I also hope to get the achievements fully working so you guys can test out the class and weapon ones, there are some rewards at the end of that path."

I wonder what that

Upvote 0
I have to say that I liked the older DOD better than the Source version but that was because it had a good slow pace (not like the speedy Quake games), felt less run and gun, tighter cone of fire, give you the ability to swim in water, better classes and more factions (US Airborne, British and Fallschirmjager) to play as plus it's got plenty of maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to say that I liked the older DOD better than the Source version but that was because it had a good slow pace (not like the speedy Quake games), felt less run and gun, tighter cone of fire, give you the ability to swim in water, better classes and more factions (US Airborne, British and Fallschirmjager) to play as plus it's got plenty of maps.
Same, I don't know how you can take a winning combination and fudge it so badly but they did.

Upvote 0
Same, same.
Just joined the beta hoping for something like a miracle, well better luck next time I guess.
Played two full rounds and finished at the top of the list both times.
Its easy, just cap, cap cap...
This doesn't mean that I'm a mean machine coz the scores go something like this : Points 11, Kills 7, Deaths 164 :D.

I still like the game though and will not knock it, it is what it is and thats fine by me.
Same goes for CS and TF.

Upvote 0
I downloaded DoD 1.3 from Steam and started playing it yesterday. I have a big issue with the mouse acceleration that was on by default it would seem and I can't turn it off from the game options.

Is there a console command that turns of mouse acceleration? I don't have mouse acceleration activated in my SetPoint(I have MX518) and I don't have it enabled in windows.

Upvote 0
I googled up this:
For counterstrike

Mouse Acceleration problems FIX for Counterstrike :

HL.exe -noforcemparms

put that after Hl.exe command line in Gamespy or what ever u use to exe program

info :

-noforcemaccel
Type: Parameter

Description: Disable the forcing of mouse acceleration on startup.

-noforcemparms

Description: Disable the forcing of mouse parameters on startup.

-noforcemspd

Description: Disable the forcing of mouse speed on startup.
It's for Counter Strike but it should work for DoD too.

Upvote 0
Alright clever clogs :D.

How do I get to map my G5 mouse buttons to work in individual Steam games ?
Not that its critical but I would like to "reload" with button 4 and maybe "go prone" with the + button.
I can get Setpoint to work in all other non Steam games, as I wish.

Thanks...51...

You should be able to bind the keys in the game options. At least I can do that on my MX518.

Upvote 0
There are 5000(on top, but always at least 4000) players enjoying the game and having fun. How can it be a failure? Because it's not DoD 1.3? :rolleyes:

Yup, thats exactly why its a failure, thats as pathetic as UT3, 5000 players is nothing!

The old DoD had a massive following! it was probably the second most popular HL mod, CS obviously beeing the most popular, and everyone and their dog had it, even if you where not a die hard fan of it, you probably had it and played it casually from time to time.

But DoD:S cocked it up, they decided to take a winning recipe that had a huge installed fanbase, and then changed it for no good reason, they made it play more like CS actually, more speed, more conefire, and ontop of that, they released it with only a fraction of what the mod had and only 4 maps!
That huuuueg fanbase DoD had was gone with the wind.

Had it just been a straight port to a new engine with a graphical facelift, it would have done really really well for itself, but it wasen't, it was a whole new game, one that had very little to offer in form of contrent, and a new gameplay that was not what DoD'ers wanted, they wanted what DoD was.
I think the mod still has more players than DoD:S, but the sad fact is that people will lose interest in a mod if they know there will be no future development for it.

Upvote 0
Yup, thats exactly why its a failure, thats as pathetic as UT3, 5000 players is nothing!

The old DoD had a massive following! it was probably the second most popular HL mod, CS obviously beeing the most popular, and everyone and their dog had it, even if you where not a die hard fan of it, you probably had it and played it casually from time to time.

But DoD:S cocked it up, they decided to take a winning recipe that had a huge installed fanbase, and then changed it for no good reason, they made it play more like CS actually, more speed, more conefire, and ontop of that, they released it with only a fraction of what the mod had and only 4 maps!
That huuuueg fanbase DoD had was gone with the wind.

Had it just been a straight port to a new engine with a graphical facelift, it would have done really really well for itself, but it wasen't, it was a whole new game, one that had very little to offer in form of contrent, and a new gameplay that was not what DoD'ers wanted, they wanted what DoD was.
I think the mod still has more players than DoD:S, but the sad fact is that people will lose interest in a mod if they know there will be no future development for it.
Pretty much all of what you say is wrong and I could easily prove that, but tbh. I don't bother anymore. Really no more sense in bringing up the same facts over and over again when people just ignore them and only view their own reality in which they have to bash games for whatever weird reasons.

Upvote 0