• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour Press Release: 2 Weeks Until D-Day

awesome stuff, can't wait.
I have some questions about the (superb) .50 cal:
Will it be limited to vehicles mount, will it have fixed emplacements (AT guns - style) ?
What would be the advantages of the bigger rounds over, say, a .30 cal ? Since there is (afaik) no bullet penetration in RO? Able to disable/destroy/kill the crew of soft/lightly armoured vehicles (like half tracks) or targets (like AT guns) ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought it was a tank commander because of the crusher or peaked cap he was wearing, perhaps it could well be a squad leader and it was something that I also suggested along the lines in the DH forums - http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2380

Yep, good discussion there. In that sense visor cap would only be suitable for tank commanders. The A-rack is the thing which makes me wonder who that guy is...

But that is true, that no visor caps were worn in combat by infantry.

Upvote 0
Yep, good discussion there. In that sense visor cap would only be suitable for tank commanders. The A-rack is the thing which makes me wonder who that guy is...

But that is true, that no visor caps were worn in combat by infantry.

And even officers had their visor caps officially forbidden around the front due sniper danger. As funny as it sounds, german officers really did wear helmets alot when near the front (even though yes there is expection for every rule).

And that I still find it funny that A-frame is avaible on everyone, even though it was mainly rifleman based item and quite many guys were not even issued with that and some minority even discarded it due being such "crappy" piece of gear :D

Kinda like some hardcore types plied off hobnails out from their boots to make them less slippery.

Upvote 0
If no visor caps were ever worn by German infantry in the front then what about the field caps ? Or is it purely Hollywood myth ?

Field caps in combat is kinda myth. It was not entirely impossible, but most of the time if you were in combat and you just had the chance to put your helmet on (which is like 98.6% of all the time) you would use your helmet. During winter it could be bit diffrent though.

In off-combat situations it is more likely to see someone with a field cap or overseas cap. However, in combat situations it could be generally considered as inaccurate as germans had some fetish to wear helmets (E.G. their officers did near front (even some high-ranking generals), their soldiers wore it most of the time if in combat situation and so on) :p

Upvote 0
And that I still find it funny that A-frame is avaible on everyone, even though it was mainly rifleman based item and quite many guys were not even issued with that and some minority even discarded it due being such "crappy" piece of gear :D

Kinda like some hardcore types plied off hobnails out from their boots to make them less slippery.

Is this what you mean ?

aframeclassit9.jpg

ybeltclasstb2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have two large content patches planned for after release 1 the first is already well in the works and will feature around 4 or 5 new vehicles including a lot of axis armour.

the second patch will include German units (Heer, SS, FJs etc) all with the correct uniforms, webbing, boots etc for the period and campaign.

Upvote 0
We have two large content patches planned for after release 1 the first is already well in the works and will feature around 4 or 5 new vehicles including a lot of axis armour.

the second patch will include German units (Heer, SS, FJs etc) all with the correct uniforms, webbing, boots etc for the period and campaign.

Good can't wait to see these FJ's units and new panzers :).

Upvote 0
Is this what you mean ?

Yes.

However, due supply problems and production priorities not nearly every rifleman was issued with one.

And as I said before, for some reasons (impossible to get it on by yourself, having extremely limited carrying capacity and such) small minority of those who were even issued with one discarded it and said it got lost in combat :p

Upvote 0
This from the DH web site.

Darkest Hour Release 1:

2 New playable Allies:
1. The United States
2. The British Commonwealth

6 New Player models:
1. US Infantry
2. US Airborne
3. US Armored Divisions
4. British Infantry
5. British Paratroopers
6. British Tank Regiments

6 New Allied Vehicles:
1. M4 Sherman
2. M3 Halftack
3. Sherman Firefly
4. M5 Stuart (British and US Variants)
5. M10 Wolverine & Achilles
6. Higgins Landing Craft

17 New Weapons:
1. BAR
2. M1 Garand
3. M1 Carbine
4. Thompson M1A1 SMG
5. M3 Grease Gun
6. Colt .45
7. Bazooka
8. Springfield Sniper Rifle
9. Browning .30cal MG
10. Misc Allied Explosives
11. No.4 Lee Enfield Rifle
12. Bren Gun
13. Sten SMG
14. PIAT
15. Browning Hi-Power
16. No.2 Revolver
17. FG 42

3 New Anti Tank Guns:
1. Pak 43
2. US/British 57mm
3. 88mm

At least 9 New Maps:
1.Brecourt
2.Carentan Causeway
3.Benouville Bridge (Pegasus)
4.Dog Green Sector (Omaha Beach)
5.Sainte Mere Eglise ( Day and Night versions)
6.Villers Bocage
7.Le Mesnil Patry
8.Cagny
9.La ville Ruinne

PLUS: Several other features and items that we are not including on this list because we want to show them at a later date.

Upvote 0