• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

Their is no one way to save the game, only by multiple events. This would include a mod that is coming that will revamp the spirit for a while, but then probably fade away. At the end of the day, Ost will probably turn into the mod again, with dedicated players that still love the game, loading up a server at a certain night and playing, a good example of this is 50pc. Clans will do their thing as well.

I think the most important thing out of these two threads started by Steven, this is purely my strong opinion, but I see it to be deadly true. I hope TWI realizes and gets the message that if they promote their new game like this one, then we will be seeing a thread like this on their new title two or three years into that game. Realizing that TWI is a small company and it takes a huge amount of money to take up TV time for a decent commercial, but I think that is exactly what needs to happen, along with aligning its self with the right promoters. It's a big gamble yes for TWI, but I believe it would pay off tremendously, because honestly I think the public seeing that their is a new front that can be played on that no other games have really dived into is very intriguing, at least it was for me. I mean at least mentioning that the bloodiest warfare in modern history is playable on a large scale, would have been enough for me if I didn't know anything about the Eastern Front, and you guys put out a commercial spot on it. As well, if TWI makes the game, like we hope they will, the game will be good enough to take the risk of putting out merchandising.

Upvote 0
What a way to follow up your last post :(

Less informed brethren??

Sorry but who do you think you are? This is a great game from a very talented developer and there is no 'right way' to play it! It's all about having fun :)
I'm sorry you don't see the full context of the statement (as evidenced by your taking it out of context).
The statement was: <quote> "less informed" brethren <quote>. Not: <quote> less informed brethren <quote>
Did you notice my use of quotations around 'less informed'?
I guess I could have said: "But while we are amongst (as some would say) less informed brethren.." but I thought that was a little wordy.
Did you notice my use of brethren? Implying that we are all in this together?

I really think my post speaks plainly and for itself. A reread might be in order, as it was not down-playing anyone. I think I've made my views abundantly clear (not only in this thread but many others). I hope others have not come to the same conclusion as you.

Floyd

Upvote 0
I'm sorry you don't see the full context of the statement (as evidenced by your taking it out of context).
The statement was: <quote> "less informed" brethren <quote>. Not: <quote> less informed brethren <quote>
Did you notice my use of quotations around 'less informed'?
I guess I could have said: "But while we are amongst (as some would say) less informed brethren.." but I thought that was a little wordy.
Did you notice my use of brethren? Implying that we are all in this together?

I really think my post speaks plainly and for itself. A reread might be in order, as it was not down-playing anyone. I think I've made my views abundantly clear (not only in this thread but many others). I hope others have not come to the same conclusion as you.

Floyd

So you think that the way some people play this game is the reason why it is allegedly in need of saving? You see I think the game is doing great for one as old as it is and the only people who seem to disagree are the ones that think they play the game in a better way to 'some' others.

Well I won't miss any of you ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A double reread perhaps... :D. At any rate I think RO has simply run its course. Speaking for myself, the game is stale for me, even with the mods. Sure there will be a dedicated community supporting this game till the next TWI project is released but we won't ever see the same numbers we did a year or two ago for RO. Classic example would be last years RO Ladder Winter cup. There was 64 teams participating last year I think and this year was what, 24? And some even struggled to field 8 players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you think that the way some people play this game is the reason why it is allegedly in need of saving? You see I think the game is doing great for one as old as it is and the only people who seem to disagree are the ones that think they play the game in a better way to 'some' others.

Well I won't miss any of you ;)
Jees, Clanger. I give up.:)
For the life of me, I don't see how that is implied in my post or my explanation of that post to you. You are, of course, free to think and understand things as you wish, but please don't put words in my mouth or mis-construe the posts I write in yours. Thanks.

Floyd (over and out).:cool:

Upvote 0
Who says it needs saving? RO is still going strong after all these years, and the biggest mod so far for it has yet to be released. A little premature in your assumptions, perhaps?

I've gotten many many hours out of RO and am not disappointed at all with what Tripwire has delivered. They have pulled off a great game and took a big risk by creating a realism game with such a steep learning curve. They have provided wonderful support through countless patches and content updates that most other companies would charge for in an expansion pack. Tripwire has done everything possible to extend the value of RO and I don't think any more should be expected of them.

The only possible exception is perhaps releasing some news about what their next game is. If they did that, it would not only attract more attention towards that project but would also put regular RO in the spotlight, perhaps making more people want to try it out.

Ro isn't a realism game. RO + Armoured Beasts mod is though, so far as the engine allows. Still a bit arcade, but a move in the right direction. The FKR server (Debrecen) is the only one me and my brother play, and if/once that has gone RO will be off our hard-drives.

The main problem with RO, as with any shooter, is a lack of context. Without a unifying 'war' in which to contextulise the individual battles they become very stale.

For true greatness and staying-power, RO needs, in my opinion:

A random-map generator.
An organized war.
A fully realized role-playing element.
Realism.

The player's mind needs to be engaged just as much as his eyes and ears. Most games achieve the latter, very few the former, and RO is no exception.

Upvote 0
That game has already been made though. It's called WWIIOL.

Clanger, are you deliberately being dense?

I've tried it, a few times. Dire graphics, laggy, can't enter & exit vehicles, dire sounds, maps were almost always empty, generally a more frustrating than enjoyable experience.

Ditto ArmA.

RO, modified with the AB mod, pretty much has the combat and immediate environment nailed down squarely. It's the lack of context and role-playing aspect that lets it down. If it had those it would be a truly phenomenal game and the clans would eat it up morning, noon and night. For years.

Upvote 0
One thing that this game is probably losing popularity for, is it takes to much practice to get good at it. It took me an average of 24 hours to be average, which I suppose is also realistic, as though your gaining combat wisdom, but the truth is, gamers don't like that, they want something they can get good at fast.

Another thing, is 90% of the servers I try to join where I have decent ping, have downloads, and not all people like downloads, especially with people who are familiar with Valve games and not other downloads from not as major games (no doubt this game is well known, but it doesn't have the reputation COD4 or Valve games have).

So in my opinion...

Upvote 0
I don't think the player numbers will decline much more, it's taken what 2 years to drop to its current level of mostly hardcore/frequent players...it's going to be difficult attracting new players as the engine gets steadily older, but I think it'll be a good few years yet before the game dies off completely.

Games like CoD4 have definately had an impact, and we'll probably see more players drop off when games like BF3 get announced, what we need is some news about TWs new project, get some media interest about that, and they'll also get more hits on this site.

Another free RO weekend on Steam could help too.

Upvote 0
I've been playing RO from it's start as a UT2k3 mod way back in 2003. I still love it but interest is slowly fading. For me THE most important things to fix are (in order of importance):

1) ------> SMG RECOIL <-------

Imo, smgs in their current state are simply not fun to play with. Nuff' said.

2) Make it so you have reduced running speed on elevations: It kinda ruins the experience, gameplay and balance to have soldiers run on elevations (hills, stairs, ..) with the same speed as they run on flat! Reduced infantry speed on hills would do miracles for this game imo.

3) Improved walking animations

4) 3d sounds

Upvote 0
IMO, all this flaming wih people like clanger, and the whole split between the old regulars and the newer/pubbies, comes down to this, they accuse us of wanting to make everybody play the way we want, and not likeing the game, but the truth is this, RO, as we knew it is already dead, replaced by its current ranzigdanzig fascimile, which, newer people, never having tired the older variants, play and think it is RO as it is meant to be. Thus we whine and b*tch and be elititist, because we want our favourite game back, that has, in a sense, been taken from us by the current generation of pubbies and server admins.

Sure, it elitist to say that, but the point is this, RO now and RO 2 years ago are two differnet games, almost, and we elitist pricks want to play the old version.:p

So what I'm trying to say is this, this whole debate is pointless, imo, I think that the public play has been taken over by the newer generation, who like the faster gameplay and small maps, all well and good, if thats what they want then let them have it. But the rest of us just need to get our acts together and stop whinning and acctualy do somethign about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think RO needs saving. If people have lost interest than thats because of the fact that other games come out. People who want to continue playing will do and will have fun. Its only natural and I'm sure once Tripwire announce their next project people may come back. But It wouldn't cause a long term benefit.

I don't think people should worry. I'm not. Take Hidden and Dangerous 2 for example. I've played it online since it was released. Play it on and off now but I would still expect to be able to play with around 100 people.
Also with the way this Community has been made, I'm sure with the new mods the hardcore bunch will stay around for a long time. I mean don't people still play the mod version of RO for Unreal 2004?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds like RO to me, except for the animations, you can play RO, running to the front line, and then some really experienced player just hit you from God knows where.

I think there should be less downloads for sure, because I don't even like downloading stuff off servers because they take 5-10 minutes, and I just don't have the time or patience to wait. Let alone I don't think anybody does.

Upvote 0