• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PS2 and HDTV: WTF?

On topic: My theory on why the PS2 doesn't support HDTV is that maybe, just maybe, HDTV's weren't invented yet when the PS2 came around.

It -does- support HDTV. You just have to have component cables and a game that supports HD. Probably 20-25% of games for PS2 (maybe more) support progressive scan (480p). Only two games (that I know of) support 1080i. I don't know of any that are 720p.

Upvote 0
Basically if a bluray movie is protected you need to have a HDCP protected output or it won't show in full hd. Component doesn't have that protection so you need a HDMI/Displayport/HDCP enabled DVI connection. Although i don't know if any movies at all use that protection atm standalone bluray players that are legal and not with some modded firmware or something should have the same problematics with not showing full hd when using a non HDCP compliant connection.

Output wise the max the ps3 can output on component is 1080i/720p.

Games will all work fine on 1080i/720p through component, and most bluray movies will too.

Even if basically an image is stretched the aspect ratio can still be normal.
Some games say are of a res of 960x1080 and the horizontal resolution gets doubled so you get to a 1920x1080 resolution because the source was made in a way known that it would be rescaled double on the horizontal things are still fine. It all depends on that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0